Start by marking “Death on the Black Sea: The Untold Story of the 'Struma' and World War II's Holocaust at Sea” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
On the morning of February 24, 1942, on the Black Sea near Istanbul, an explosion ripped through a ship filled with Jewish refugees. One man clung fiercely to a piece of deck, fighting to survive. Nearly eight hundred others -- among them, more than one hundred children -- perished.

From this dramatic prologue Death on the Black Sea unfolds as a powerful story of endurance
Published February 4th 2003 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about Death on the Black Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on the Black Sea

Jim
Oct 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
We need to keep the stories of mans' inhumanity to man on the forefront of our collective conscious. The plight of these poor Jewish refugees and the moral blindness of so many people is enraging; also a good account of the effort to recover the history of the sunken ship and its victims.
Ceren Ünlü
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Çok daha iyi; Struma hakkında... Mitra Yayınları'ndan çıkmış
Tomi
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Struma was a leaky, rotten ship (hardly worthy of being called a ship) carrying nearly 800 Romanian Jews who were trying to escape death in WWII by traveling to Palestine. Thanks to the indifference (and hatred) of the British and the Turks, they didn't make it. This book explains the politics behind the British and Turkish governments' refusal to help and talks about one attempt to dive to the shipwreck. When someone says "Holocaust" we usually think of Hitler's Final Solution and the death ...more
Howard Jaeckel
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most compelling books I have read in recent years. It heartbreakingly recounts how bureaucratic rigidity and indifference – so extreme as to rise almost to the level of criminality -- sent some 800 innocent men, women and children to an awful death on the Black Sea. How anyone can call this story “boring,” as do several nearby reviews, is quite beyond me.

Ignore these inexplicable comments. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the Holocaust, the history of Israe
Nathan
May 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
So much potential, so little accomplishment. The Struma affair is one of those nasty little secrets of history that need to be made public knowledge. This book is one of those histories that can't seem to settle down and just tell the story. It dances and skips around the real human tragedy at hand and flits from meaningless banter to more meaningless banter. Really, it was complicated to tell who was doing what and why it mattered. A waste of time and potential, and it doesn't take much in the ...more
Jeanne
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is definitely NOT a page turner. It is an eye-opening account of the anti-Semitism that existed throughout the world around WWII. My long-held belief that only the Nazi's were against the Jews was flawed according to this book. As the world faces the challenges presented with the Syrian refugees, it becomes apparent that each country must weigh various humanitarian efforts against the strains on their socio-economic climate. There is so much grey area and it seems to me that people want ver ...more
Loren
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gripping. For some reason, I am drawn to anything written about WWII and the especially the holocaust. If you see some of the books I've read, I'm intriqued by the human mind and how evil it can be.
Alana
May 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Idiotic treatment of what could have been a fascinating story. Boring. Repetitive. Without pitch or resolution.
Danielle
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a big fan of Non-fiction books. I only have this because I'm interested in the topic because of my family history. Other than that it was boring. It took me forever to read.
John Gurney