Start by marking “Words to Live By: Short Readings of Daily Wisdom” as Want to Read:
Words to Live By: Short Readings of Daily Wisdom

Words to Live By: Short Readings of Daily Wisdom

This warmly encouraging collection of daily readings offers immediate inspiration for readers seeking a more spiritually grounded lifestyle. Each reading is based on a quotation from one of the world’s great philosophers, poets, saints, and sages. Augustine and Einstein, Emily Dickinson and Jalaladdin Rumi, Biblical verses, Buddhist sutras, Hasidic proverbs, and Hindu Upan ...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Nilgiri Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Words to Live By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words to Live By

Start your review of Words to Live By: Short Readings of Daily Wisdom
Loretta
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was purchased with the intention of helping me start and maintain a daily meditation practice. It did just that! I cherish this book.
Kathleen Maguire
Inspirational!

The daily readings became a part of my morning meditation and prayers. Reading them helped remind me what is really important in life.
Jayakrishnan P
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice book to make your day...!

The book helps the reader think positively in day to day life. This book is a must have under the category...!!
Mark Fabiano
I am not going to rate this as its not a kind of book for that. Daily readings. I didn't like it though I love Easwaran's work on interpreting Hindu and Buddhist texts. I will get and read more of those. Some people will love this. I didn't find his "meditations" on the quotes he chose to be all that illuminating for me. Perhaps also some of his quotes I didn't care for either.

So for me, I guess what I'm saying is that Easwaren is a great religious scholar as opposed to a religious teacher, lik
Donna Merritt
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational quotes from some of the world's greatest holy books, spiritual leaders, saints, poets, and mystics (including Christ, Buddha, Meister Eckhart, Gandhi, Sri Ramakrishna, the Bible, and the Bhagavad Gita) are paired with Easwaran's understanding of each passage and how to apply it to our daily lives. In addition to a page-a-day reading, there is a brief introduction to his eight-point spiritual program and suggested books for further exploration.
C
A quote and passage every day of the year: really grounding and lovely, especially if read in the morning. The entries got a little repetitive towards the end, though I suppose that's bound to happen when there's 365 of them.
Sandra Shanti
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spiritualists, Meditators
Start your day with inspiration from Easwaran. He incorporates different spiritualities; always keeping us with a great reflection for the day.
AMB
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have used for years for spiritual guidance and encouragement.
Jilly
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book every year. The daily readings help me to draw my focus inward with God and not outward in the world. The teachings remind me to live in the present, not the past or the future.
Valerie Carter-cole
David Hayes
Jan 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Longing for Darkness: Tara and the Black Madonna
  • Healing Mantras: Using Sound Affirmations for Personal Power, Creativity, and Healing (Book & CD)
  • Posthumous Keats: A Personal Biography
  • The Beginner's Guide to Zen Buddhism
  • The Sugarless Plum: A Ballerina's Triumph Over Diabetes
  • Fragrant Palm Leaves: Journals, 1962-1966
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • The Deeper Dimension of Yoga: Theory and Practice
  • Enduring Grace: Living Portraits of Seven Women Mystics
  • Pure Heart, Enlightened Mind: the Zen journal & letters of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran
  • He Did Deliver Me From Bondage
  • True Faced: Trust God and Others with Who You Really Are
  • The Illness Narratives: Suffering, Healing, And The Human Condition
  • The Man Who Couldn't Eat
  • The Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of the Stomach and Intestine
  • Red Oleanders
  • Better Than Well: American Medicine Meets the American Dream
  • British Folk Tales and Legends: A Sampler
Eknath Easwaran (1910–1999) is the originator of passage meditation and the author of more than 30 books on spiritual living.

Easwaran is a recognized authority on the Indian spiritual classics. His translations of The Bhagavad Gita, The Upanishads, and The Dhammapada are the best-selling editions in the USA, and over 1.5 million copies of his books are in print.

Easwaran was