Start by marking “Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)

Dead Frenzy

(A Loon Lake Mystery #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  430 ratings  ·  35 reviews

For fishing pals, (or are they more than just pals?) Doc Osborne and Police Chief Lew Ferris, Loon Lake, Wisconsin, is usually a great place to seek out some mutual solitude in the trout stream. But lately, the town has been teeming with competitive bass fisherman and bikers, too many less-than-savory characters. Meanwhile, there's an old murder case Doc's bent on solving

Published February 4th 2003 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Dead Frenzy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Frenzy

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
Renee
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Decent entry in the series.

Kindle Unlimited, read & listen
Eileen Lynx
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery with fishing and motorcycles.
IslandRiverScribe
Doc Osborne does not, in the first chapter, find a body while fishing, as he usually does. What he finds in that first chapter is his daughter, Erin, on his doorstep, distraught over the fact that her husband, Mark, has left her and their three children. What he also finds is that Mark’s actions have triggered a recurrence of an old nightmare that took years of therapy for Erin to subdue.

This nightmare – bloody arms covered in decaying flesh reaching upward in a grasping pose – has a very real s
Bruna Pelucchi Addison
So far I have read about one third of the series. I got these books for free on my kindle through the public library, which is nice. It is a pleasant enough series. I have been living in WI for a while and the setting adds to the fun. I like also that there are 18 books in the series. I am an avid and quick reader and it is nice to know I will not run out of the books anytime soon.
Now for the three stars only:
1) if you are looking for a challenging series, where you have to sweat a bit to figur
Joan
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is never a dull moment around Loon Lake. The town of 3,000 is expecting around 50, 000 visitors at the fishing tournament, in addition to a motorcycle rally. Ray is trying to set himself up in a television fishing program, Ray's Fish 'n Fry.

In the meantime, Doc finally gets closer to Lew and learns to ride a Harley in order to help Lew take down drug dealers and a bike parts theft ring. Will he get his own bike? :) He hates to give up his borrowed HOG.
Kokie
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I enjoyed this sequel! There was a lot going on, but it was fun to see how Houston brought it all together and intertwined crimes and criminals without making it too overwhelming. Always impressed with the characters and settings. It's so much fun to read about a part of Wisconsin I now live in; and she does such a great job brining the characters to life without making them a trope. I look forward to continue reading this series!
Bryan
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I greatly enjoy the characters is this series. Lew, Doc, and Ray seem like old friends whom I enjoy visiting with as I read each book in the series. I spent a couple of years living near the Wisconsin boarder, and Loon Lake reminds me of many of these towns.

I am intentially spacing these books out, to spread the joy over a longer timeframe.
Kenneth Funk
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge2019
The repetition in these books is beginning to get tiresome. Each chapter has some quote about fishing. Not only are these quotes repeated in several books, but sometimes multiple times in a book. There are also details in the books that were clearly copied and pasted from one manuscript to the next.
Marleen
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stumbled across this book and thoroughly enjoyed the setting (on a lake) and the characters: Doc, a retired dentist; Lewellyn, the chief of police in this small town; Ray, the aging hippy with a heart; etc.
Judee
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series has been offered free on Kindle so I thought I would read it again after a decade. I am once again in love with these characters. The plots are unique. The fishing narrative is enlightening. There are some newer episodes coming that I look forward to reading.
Baglady
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wplc-holdings
Much more complex in character and plot than earlier stories, featured HOGs and fishing tourneys with a very accurate eye. Plot got a bit convoluted with familial relationships an important part of the puzzle.
Annie
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent 5 star read!
Katie
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Wow. There was a lot going on in this book. The main characters are endearing and relatable, as usual, but the storyline wasn’t my favorite.
Chuck
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit more complicated and at times convoluted than first three in series, but still entertaining, particularly with all the Northwoods references.
Kathie
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best one in the series so far. Love the characters and the storyline.
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
The Fourth book in the Loon Lake Fishing Mystery Series.

Once again chief of police Lewellyn "Lew" Ferris and retired dentist Dr. Paul Osbourne find themselves wrapped up in a mystery. The little town of Loon Lake has both a Harley motorcycle convention and a high stakes fishing contest with a million dollar purse. Add to that mix a DEA drug investigation (Lew ends up on the task force when Paul and her discover a woman overdosed on drugs in a car) and Paul going undercover as a new Harley owner
Julie
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great book about Loon Lake.

The Doc is still feeling his way in his relationship with Lew, the Chief of Police. She is stressed about a biker convention, a bass fishing tournament and just learning about a smuggling operation. And, of course, someone dies. Doc is also trying to figure out a cold case. As the the mystery unravels the pieces begin to fit.

A laid back police procedural in a small town.

P.S. If you are a fishing fan, you'll enjoy all the details about fly fishing. If you're not
Lorlee
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I like the characters and the premise is always fascinating. Bikers and a fishing tournament -- and old unsolved murder.

Theree are people selling pills and bike parts -- trying to rig the fishing contest. The current wife of the rich tournament promoter was in on the murder of long ago. His exwife and her brother are the pill seller and bike sellers and she killed the tournament promoter. The current wife gets killed by the brother in law who mistakes her for the daughter who is inheriting. So i
Elizabeth
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th book in the Loon Lake Mystery Series, set in fictional Loon Lake, WI. It proves to be a busy week leading up to the weekend of both a Harley Davidson rally in nearby Tomahawk and a bass fishing tournament in Loon Lake. Add in a pending DEA drug bust and Police Chief Lew Ferris has all she can do to protect visitors and residents from harm. Her friend, retired dentist Paul Osborne and his fishing guide neighbor Ray do all they can to help as specially appointed deputies.
Pat
Jul 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Pat by: Vera
This was a fun book with some fun characters. I liked both the retired dentist and the female police chief and their interesting affair. And I especially liked Roy. The mystery itself is a bit humdrum, but I'd like to read some more of these since the writing is breezy and the characters are enjoyable.
Roxann
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the 4th book in the series--I do wish I was able to find the used books in order--but not able to. This one had lots of twists and turns. An old murder, robbery, drugs, smuggling, illegal sales, etc. What a great combination for this story. Of course everything is complete at the end and fishing becomes the topic again. Another great book.
Janell
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although there were quite a few subplots going on, this has been my favorite so far in this series. The mystery was pretty interesting and had me guessing right up to the end. Plus, the characters seemed true to themselves this time around. Probably 3 1/2 stars.
Gloria Mccracken
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm finished this awhile ago, but apparently forgot to review. Another in the charming series about a retired dentist in a small northern Wisconsin town. Amazing how many gruesome things happen there....
Tammy
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I really like Doc and Lew. I also love the Wisconsin setting.
Marcia
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun series of books, I love them.
Deanna
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's a book that keeps you reading on.. It's slow in the beginning but once you hit midway it sucks you right in! I enjoyed it.
Kathy
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a good series, with likeable characters. Good light reading.
Andrea
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book recaptured the unusualness of both the crime and the characters. Focus was more on the interaction of the main characters' families but didn't take from the murders.
Kitty Tomlinson
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
A fishing tournament and motorcycle convention are scheduled for the same weekend in Loon Lake. Plenty of crooks for Doc, Lew and Ray to catch. Fun read.
Glenda
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good cozy mystery series

• Death Stalks Door County (Dave Cubiak, #1)
  • Almost Midnight (Mike Bowditch, #10)
  • Owl Be Home for Christmas: A Meg Langslow Mystery
  • Hid from Our Eyes (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #9)
  • In Plain Sight (Kate Burkholder, #10.5)
  • Lost Girls: The Maine Murders (50 States of Murder, #1)
  • The Chocolate Shark Shenanigans
  • The Last Chance Lawyer (Daniel Pike, #1)
  • Take a Number (Jeri Howard Mystery, #3)
  • Tracking Game (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #5)
  • Desperate Creed (Ryder Creed #5)
  • Let Me Go (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #5)
  • Christmas with an Angel (Harmony Harbor, #1.5)
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • Under the Influence (Kate Shugak, #13.5)
  • Wreck Rights (Kate Shugak, #13.6)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)

News & Interviews