Start by marking “Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)

Dead Creek

(A Loon Lake Mystery #2)

In Wisconsin's Northwoods, fishing is a way of life -- and when the muskies are biting, life couldn't be better. But when Doc Osborne catches more than he bargained for, he winds up in the middle of a murder mystery -- and only Chief of Police Lew Ferris can get him out of it.
Published November 1st 2000 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Dead Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Creek

Start your review of Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
Jeffrey Johnson
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wish I could do half-stars, because I'd give this one 3.5 instead of four. I'm erring on the side of niceness, though, because overall I enjoyed it. There seems to be, specifically in the exposition parts at the start of the book, a lot of text copied verbatim from Dead Angler, the first in the Loon Lake Fishing Mysteries. It's good, well written text, but I already read it once and it sort of feels like cheating when things are described in exactly the same was as they were before.
I felt the
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Minnesota/Wisconsin Mystery Lovers - fisherman/women - Outdoor's people.
The 2nd book in the Loon Lake Fishing Mystery series.

In this book retired dentist Paul Osborne is out muskie hunting when he discovers four dead bodies left frozen in a cage. Chief of Police Lew Ferris is called in and Paul and Lew have to untangle the mystery together.

A great follow up. I have never guessed who the killer is before the end in these books (Of course I never want to know which probably helps...). I really enjoy this series!

Renee
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Readable & fun. Enjoying this series.

Kindle Unlimited, read & listen
Kurtis Macdonnell
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: loon-lake
Once the story started (about chapter 8) it was very entertaining. The first 7 or 8 chapters were spent setting up characters, which in its self is not a bad thing but, it was almost word for word from the first book of the series. It felt lazy, I almost stopped reading. If you need to set up characters use a different description instead of word for word of a previous book.
IslandRiverScribe
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just love it when the main protagonist of a novel discovers the body in the first chapter. There is nothing like getting right down to business. In fact, Paul Osborne actually finds four bodies, all stuffed in a large wire shipping crate anchored below the surface of a creek.

Chief of Police Lew Ferris is halfway across the country testifying in a case while taking a bit of vacation and the coroner is ill. So it falls upon Paul, Lew’s deputy, Roger, and the former chief, John Sloan, to begin th
Wendy Gustofson
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd give it a 3.5 if I could only because it's pretty light but that's exactly what I needed, do it gets a 4. I'll likely read another of her books.
Annie
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent 5 star read! I really enjoy this series...:)
Helen
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book starts with a fishing expedition, but becomes a complex and fascinating mystery. Some fairly deep issues are dealt with, and there is a level of suspense. This series is worth continuing.
Lynnette Rinehart
Great Read

It's not often I get totally emersed in a story line and all the characters in a book. It happened with " Dead Creek". As I said........Great read.
Michelle
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading these books. This one was a bit more tangled than the last one I read but I still love these books.
Stephanie Curran
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm hooked :D.
Eileen Lynx
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good I read it in one day.
Gerri R.
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Riveting ending. Good character development.
Barbara Fraley
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
entertaining, interesting characters -the descriptions make you visualize these people and places. a fast read
Magic Mary Austin
Jul 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Did not finish it. Boring
Kelly Stoudt
A fun series with interesting characters - not to intense or hard to follow. A bit of romance, humor, and enough detail to support the story.
Debra
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite a total indifference to fly fishing, and ignorance of Wisconsin's waters, I have really enjoyed Victoria Houston's Loon Lake mysteries. In fact, I am rereading them as I find them.
Baglady
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: wplc-holdings
Read in order, much is a repeat (verbatim) of the first in the series, providing character background and setting the scene. After the plot starts, it is easy to follow but not easy to solve
Katie Haasch
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun outdoorsy read following Lew, Doc and Ray in another adventure in the northwoods of Wisconsin.

What I love about this series is the outdoors component and the location of the series.
Joyce Burk
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Fishing Country Mystery

I love the characters in this Loon Lake series. The author really makes them come alive! I plan to read all the series.
Alan Mills
Another entry in the Loon Lake murder mystery series. This time, Lew, the Chief of Police takes a back seat to two old friends, Doc. Osborne (the town dentist, now retired) and his friend, Ray (a grave digger, hunting and fishing guide, and occasional drug user/dealer).

Osborne finds six dead, mostly frozen, bodies submerged in an obscure corner of a local lake, as he is out "scouting" for a good Muskie spot that he discovered the year before--a few weeks before Muskie season opens. When it turns
Julie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dr. Paul Osborne, retired dentist, is scouting out fishing areas and runs into a cage with 4 dead bodies. Soon Police Chief, Lew, and Osborne's neighbor, Ray, are involved in figuring out who killed them and a whole lot more.

Another great installment in the Loon Lake mystery series. I got pulled in this series with the first book I read. It's a murder mystery set in a small town where fishing is a big industry.

3 Main Characters in the books are:
1. Lew Ferris--The Police Chief of the town. The fi
Julie

3 Main Characters in the books are:
1. Lew Ferris--The Police Chief of the town. The f
Carol
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is lots of narrative to Houston's books but it is not boring, at least not to me. The theme in this book was the effect of effluent flushed into creeks on the health of the plants, animals and humans in the area. It was all woven into a complex plot with more detail on the environs of Loon Lake and its inhabitants. The only quarrel I have is the way Houston dealt with a problem that authors of series have. The author must not assume that the reader read the previous books and so must provi ...more
Cindy
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I picked this up as part of my local library's "Book Blind Date". (book inside envelope with just a short description on the outside without giving away the title or author).

It took me a couple of chapters to get into this, probably because I bought a book I was itching to read. I love murder mysteries and this was great. It didn't hurt that it was set in northern Wisconsin. It seemed like every new chapter introduced some sort of plot twist. I ended up staying up till 3 am reading it and then f
Roxann
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy-mystery
I'm not reading this series in order. This book is the second in Houston's series of murders in Loon Lake. The author continues to add more onto the main characters with each book. Loon Lake doesn't seem the place to go fishing or at least fishing with the character Dr. Osborne--he's always finding dead bodies. In this book he finds four. It was an interesting book to read--lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing as who did the killings and stealings. Great little mystery.
K.C.
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is 2nd in the series of murder Mysterys. Love these books. Good geniuine light mysterys that entertain & draw you into the world of fishing on the lakes of wisconsin. 62 year old retired dentist Doc Osborne always catches more than he bargained for, and ends up in the middle of a murder mysterys along with his Chief of Police Lew Ferris. These books reminds me alot of "the cat who" books by Lillian Braun. Always good to take your mind off the world in general. ...more
Gloria Mccracken
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is kind of a northern Wisconsin "Deliverance" lite--full of weird characters from isolated parts of the wilderness. It was very good, however, and I think I'm going to enjoy this series. The continuing characters look like they're going to be a lot of fun: a retired dentist, a female police chief on whom he is sweet, and a maverick preternaturally gifted backwoods guide (who's also rich -- or at least from a rich family). Everyone else is peculiar.
Cherie Zamel
Nov 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fisherman or Wisconsin Natives who like a fun mystery
Recommended to Cherie by: Used Book shop owner in Menomonie MI
Shelves: 2009-read
Had a good ending...only slightly predictable, she still had me guessing. A fun read! Toics got darker than the first book in the series. Recommend for any fisherman, environmentally interested, or any of those who love the Up North world of WI/Michigan UP. My favorite character is Ray! Wish he was a Non-Fiction character..would love to meet him in person!
Janell
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Although I like the style of this author and the characters in this series, I really disliked this particular mystery. A couple of times I even considered not finishing. However, although the villains and the outcome of the mystery were fairly obvious, there were some intriguing twists to the conclusion which almost (but not quite) gave it a third star.

• A Death in Eden
  • Paris Is Always a Good Idea
  • One Last Lie (Mike Bowditch, #11)
  • Adventures in Prayer
  • The Greatest Success in the World
  • The Royal Wulff Murders (Sean Stranahan, #1)
  • Cold Hearted River (Sean Stranahan #6)
  • Tracking Game (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #5)
  • What You Don't See
  • Broken Places (Cass Raines, #1)
  • Credible Threat (Ali Reynolds, #15)
  • Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)
  • Murder at Hartigan House (Ginger Gold Mysteries #1)
  • Blue Wolf in Green Fire (Woods Cop, #2)
  • A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1)
  • Hid from Our Eyes (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #9)
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)

News & Interviews