Start by marking “Too Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio Divina” as Want to Read:
Too Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio Divina

Too Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio Divina

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Retrieves from obscurity the lost art of contemplative prayer as practiced for sixteen centuries in monastic tradition, and provides 500 thematically arranged scripture texts as rich resources for this intimate prayer.
Published December 1st 1988 by Paulist Press (first published May 27th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Too Deep for Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Deep for Words

Adam
Thelma Hall's short book (her discussion of lectio consisting of only 56 pages) is a excellent introduction to lectio divina. She does a great job of putting this practice into the greater context of contemplation and an ever deepening relationship with God. She is very cognizant of Thomas Merton's writings and much of her discussion takes into account his reflections on the true self vis-a-vis the false self. One of the many strengths of this short work is her discussion on the transition to an ...more
Julie Mihevc
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, how-to of Lectio Divina.
John Poston
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sad that I gave this one away because I want to read it again! This book seriously deepened my prayer life.
Eli Mostrales
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a five-star book ... [mere words cannot describe the simplicity with which it succeeds in... describing our walk with the Lord Jesus Christ ... & recommending a "methodless method" to continue & enjoy our communion with God]
Annabelle
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read, but I wanted a little more discussion about the practice itself. I like the scripture selections though.
Jobie
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This is was a pretty fair primer for Lectio Divina. It was a quick read, well thought out, and informative. For primer and may get a little complex for a casual reader. It wasn't the most thorough treatment of Latino Divina. It becomes a little esoteric when it could be a little more pragmatic. Some might argue this point however when you're talking about any spiritual practice I think clear concise direction is in order. For the most part she gave that direction. There were a few times when she ...more
D
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful call to contemplation, distinct from meditation. Interesting quote from St. John of the Cross' paraphrasing of St. Luke's Gospel (11:9) with the 4 steps of Lectio:

(“So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.)

1) Seek in READING
2) and you will find in MEDITATION;
3) knock in PRAYER
4) and it will be opened to you in CONTEMPLATION.

I like how the author recounts the 4 levels of Lectio Devina, described by Dom Marmion (a
Benjamin Vineyard
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The gift of this book is the collection of Scripture texts for prayer. The second half of the book is this list and I've devoured it, sharing it with others.

The front material, Hall's thoughts on prayer, Scripture, and the discerned Christian walk, are well written and accessible. More than accessible, delightful and energizing. It's a happy thing to come across an author I've never heard of and to resonate deeply with their words. This is what's happening for me.

Finally, I keep seeing somethi
Mark
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-library
Great answer to what I have been seeking. The first half of the book is a straightforward explanation of lectio divina in its parts. The second half is a generous selection of verses to apply the disciplines from the first half. Thelma Hall has done an excellent job making the ancient practices accessible to a contemporary audience. Thanks.
Becky
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Some really great stuff in the book, I just don't think certain topics were well explained.
Brian
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal
Basically: determine what it says, determine what it meant, determine what it means, determine what you're going to do about it
John Stygles
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a good "Primer" for someone just beginning their time with Lectio Divina.
Lisa
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorities
Love this for reference. If you love to do lectio divina, this book gives you Bible passages by topic.
Michelle
Jan 20, 2008 marked it as to-read
This seems like a good one for introducing Lectio Divina, it also give specific passages to focus on.
Great for those wanting to grow in their Lectio Divina practice.
Jamie
May 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness
  • The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Ávila, Vol. 1
  • The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur: The Woman Whose Goodness Changed Her Husband from Atheist to Priest
  • The Cloud of Unknowing and The Book of Privy Counseling