Start by marking “Koyasan” as Want to Read:
Koyasan

Koyasan

Take a step into the unknown in a spine tingling story for World Book Day from the internationally bestselling Darren Shan. The boys and girls in the graveyard were shouting, but Koyasan no longer heard them. The world had become a wide, grey void. She could hear deep rasping sounds, the breath of creatures which had been human once but weren't any more... Koyasan is too s ...more
Published 2006 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about Koyasan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Koyasan

Ahmad Sharabiani
Koyasan, Darren Shan
Koyasan is a novel by Darren Shan which was released in the UK and Ireland for World Book Day 2006. The book is about a young girl called Koyasan, who fears the graveyard in her town where the spirits live. Her younger sister enters the graveyard after dark and her soul is captured. In order to find and retrieve her sister's stolen soul she must battle three spirits and return the soul to her sister's empty body before dawn.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه سپتامبر سال 2012 میلادی
عنوا
Teresa Grabs
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely wonderful tale of Koyasan and the lengths she went to in order to save her younger sister. Koyasan was teased for being too afraid to cross the bridge to play in the graveyard with the other village children and after an argument, her sister ran across the bridge at night to play in the graveyard. The spirits were angry, lonely monsters who stole her sister's soul and only Koyasan could get it back--if she could conquer her fears and defeat three warriors selected by the spirits.

I
Padme
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the very first book i read from the author darren shan, a favorite of mine. i was..9 if recalled right. can't put them into words,the emotions of my childhood and teenage years all bound to the dance of Master Shan's pen.
Diniasih
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it
This book tells how koyasan face her fears. An event that befall her family make koyasan must dare to act and save her little sister.

I think the messages of this book are about be brave, tough, smart and responsive to face all your weakness and fears.
Rachel
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING. It is very short, but it has made a huge affect on me after I read it. It is very creative and interesting. The characters Darren Shan came up with have very interesting personalities. This is a book definitely a 'worth to read' book.
Hazel Fung
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: darren-shan
a nice wee story. Wish it was a longer story. =)
Laura-Elizabeth Howes
What a wonderfully charming little story!

I'm not usually a fan of short stories - they usually always feel unfinished to me and leave me wanting more, but not in a good way - plus Darren Shan's strengths tend to lie in his ability to create complex stories full of clever plot twists that can only be achieved in 10 books or more, so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Koyasan or if I'd enjoy it... but I really really did.

It's so sweet and innocent and beautiful and creepy (but in a really differen
Savannah Wylde
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light-hearted easy read with an important message

I read this book as I was a massive Darren Shan fan as a teenager and young child. It took me right back to the Cirque De Freak series and other of his stories.

Effortless writing and easy to read with amazing lessons and quotes that can be applied to both children and adults in life.

I love this authors writing and it was refreshing to delve back into his stories and enjoy it from an older perspective.
Shahrun
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quickreads
Darren Shan is a gifted story teller. He has managed to put so much story into such a little book! This is a magical journey into a dark scary place with the courageous Koyasan who must face her fears and risk her life to save her little sister. Love the ingenius solutions to the challenges she faces. This is the 2nd time around of my reading this book and the story has lost none of its magic. Better yet, I know I will enjoy it just as much the next time too.
Tony Lowrey
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Novel to Entertain

I was a bit skeptical at the beginning of this book, but it was an easy and quick read that I thoroughly enjoyed by the end. It was full of lessons for kids and I hope to share it when I have my own. Fantastic author and always a pleasure to read.
Roberta
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A short story about a little girl named Koyasan saving her sister's soul from the ghosts near her village, beating her fears and making friends. Well structured and enjoyable, and entirely focused around Koyasan's personal growth - the other characters serve as background to that.
Tom Tinker
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read for all

Shan did it again. He has a wonderful way of intertwining the world's of the living and the dead. A beautiful tale that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
Jess Wolf
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The story was pretty good, I love Darren Shans writing style, I would like to read more story’s about the adventures in the graveyard :)
Dana Salman
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Spirited Away
Since I don't live in London, I can't ever find any World Book Day books anywhere, but after my success at finding How to Train Your Viking off the internet I started to look for Koyasan as well. For the first few days I could only get it in Persian, for some reason, and then in Hungarian. I finally found an English Word Document by chance and immediately started reading. The problem was that it wasn't separated into paragraphs and that kinda bugs me. So I was pretty much fixing it up as I read. ...more
Gita Savitri Putri
This is my 1st read from all of Darren Shan's creations (I already have Darren Shan saga boxset 2 & 3, but still didn't find the 1st boxset, yet. How can I start my reading? hahaha :v)

So, Koyasan gives me a great first impression of Darren Shan! :*

This book really adorable and inspiring. It has a simple story, it's only about a little girl that has an excessive fear about a graveyard. Koyasan is a brave girl but she can't overcome her fear of ghosts. And because of her fear and a little of h
Natasha
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really short book i got years ago with a World Book Day* token i got from school. I had no idea who Darren Shan was back then (my brother really likes him) I haven't read any other books by Darren Shan although i do plan to, seeing as my brother has all of his Cirque Du freak and The Demonata books. I remember picking Koyasan because it was the only World Book Day special books that looked interesting to me. I would like to re-read it (i think my brother has it) so in the near future i shall but ...more
Kiravorn
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 53-books-2014
A lovely short and sweet story.
I very much enjoyed reading this book as a short break between novels. There are a few aspects of this book that I feel would have made the book slightly more enjoyable to me. Such as it perhaps having been a little longer, and having a little less predictability when it came to certain aspect of the plot. This book was however aimed at an audience younger than I am, so in that light Shan't choice of style makes sense. This book is book is certainly not as scary as
Danielle
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I finished this book in 40minutes. And although I am already twenty, I enjoyed this book. It is kinda fast paced and the "fights" aren't spectacular, we have to understand that this book is for children albeit people of all ages would enjoy this.

I do believe that anyone who reads this will be able to relate with its theme. And will eventually see things in another perspective, especially if you were scared of ghosts or spirits before (like me).
Melanie
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got it because the name of the book sounds Japanese, which I love.. and I was awaiting the last book in the Demonata series. I just couldn't stop reading it, it was a great story and I'd have loved it if there was more. But if that had been the case it would have probably been less good, so never mind that.
If you're looking for a great book without "having" to read another after it, I recommend this book to you.
Alice
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this when I bought it on world book day but as with all of Darren Shan's books/ series the ending is no where near as good as it could've been but I think Darren Shan just has trouble with ending things overall.
It's a great short story though and I remember finishing it within a day or so, he's good at showing Koyasan's childish traits as well as being able to relate her to younger teenagers :)
Sophie Quinn
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Even though this definitely isn't as scary as some of Darren Shan's other books, presumably because it was aimed at a younger audience, it was still an exciting read with a well paced storyline. It's perfect if you want something light to read between longer books, and I'd say it would appeal to readers of all ages. The only drawback was that I found a lot of the plot to be quite predictable, but other than that it was entertaining.
Beth
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
After reading this book in one sitting I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved Koyasan as a character and for a short WBD short story it was so great! It actually had a real manga feel to the story and would make a great graphic novel or short animated movie. It started off as a children's ghost story and ended up like a Japanese Myth or Legend. There was the trademark Shan creepiness which kept me reading and it was a great short book to read!
Owen
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the only Darren Shan book I'll actually rate and review. Not because he's bad, but because I'm lazy.
I'm a massive fan of the Shan. Have been since my parents bought me the entire saga for Christmas when I was 11, and then when this book came out for world book day, I knew there was no competition for my token that year.
I met Darren Shan at a signing, and this was the book I took with me, because it's my favourite story by him.
Yvette
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a powerful short story aimed more at young teenagers than their younger counterparts that adults would enjoy too (not in the same vein as Harry Potter though).[return]About a young girl who faces her fears and the fears of her village and reaps the rewards of doing so, it is good for anyone who is thinking of doing something tough or who feels that the world has just gotten a bit too tough.
Michael Ibrikji
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
its about a girl called koyasan who is afraid to cross a hunted bridge inside the woods because of the souls and ghosts next to that bridge,and all her friends were picking on her because she was the only one who didnt cross the bridge.so one evening koyasan decides to cross the bridge but as soon as she reaches the bridge she sees her friends and whole family stuck on the other side of the bridge, and her objective is to get her friends and family back before dawn or they will be gone forever
Amanda
This book was promising; at first but in the end I wasn’t so impressed with it. If I read correctly this is based off a Mexican folktale. I wish there would have been more background in the book as too how everything originally began. The end was also a little too happy go lucky for my taste and I hate how it fast forwarded time by like 70 some years.
Cooleen Books
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has been sitting ever since I was a little girl, but I never bothered to read it because the cover made it look like it was a very scary book.
I really REALLY enjoyed this book, it was such an easy read. Also I loved Darren Shan's style of writing that I feel like I should read more of his books :)
Natsu
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really like this story.. simple but great!

not actually a horror story (even I dare to say 'absolutely not one'), well yeah there were some ghosts here and there but they werent that scary tho..
just a simple story about a little girl trying her best to conquer her fear in order to save her little sister..
cute, sweet and quite inspirational in some parts.. :)
Stella
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite book of all time. Because it is so short I have read this book about 20 times. I take it with me whenever I go on holiday. I love it and it couldn't have been written in any possible better way.
Joshua
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, but not a great one either. This book was written for national book day, and as such lacks the polish of a more thought out, longer work. Shan manages to sufficiently tell a decent tale, but the plot was entirely predictable and felt like I had read it before.

• Orang-Orang Tanah
  • The Nine Lives of Alexander Baddenfield
  • Tales From The Dark: Kumpulan Cerpen
  • The Evil And The Pure
  • ParaNorman
  • Piercings & Parels
  • اسطورهٔ هم‌اکنون
  • ¡Qué amiga tan deliciosa! (Las Gemelas Vampiras, #1)
  • The Witch's Brat
  • Alica
  • Nooit de buren bijten
  • Dawn Undercover
  • Anywhere (Nowhere, #2)
  • Graveyard Scavenger Hunt
  • Walter: The Story of a Rat
  • Hier kommt Lola! (Lola, #1)
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 02 (Kekkaishi, #2)
  • Thirty Miles South Of Dry County
Librarian's note: Also writes books for adults under the name Darren Dash. And in the past he has released books for adults under the names D.B. Shan and Darren O'Shaughnessy.

Darren Shan (born July 2, 1972 in London, England) is the pen name of the Irish author Darren O'Shaughnessy, as well as the name of the protagonist of his book series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as The Cirque Du Freak
“Kebanyakan orang merasa takut suatu waktu dalam hidupnya. Itu tidak berarti mereka pengecut. Pengecut adalah mereka yang tidak melakukan apapun ketika rasa takut mengancam menghancurkan mereka.” 16 likes
“dressed to kill Koyasan” 0 likes