Start by marking “Blood Beast (The Demonata, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Beast (The Demonata, #5)

Blood Beast

(The Demonata #5)

Grubbs Grady has so far escaped the family curse, but when he begins to experience alarming symptoms at the onset of the full moon, he is scared that the jaws of fate are opening and about to swallow him whole.

He has cheated death, defeated demons, moved on with his life. But Grubbs is torn between the world of magic and his wolfen genes. Can he fight the beast inside or w
Published June 4th 2007 (first published January 1st 2007)

Start your review of Blood Beast (The Demonata, #5)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Blood Beast (The Demonata #5), Darren Shan
Blood Beast is the fifth book in Darren Shan's The Demonata series and was released 4 June 2007. It is narrated by Grubbs Grady, the narrator of Lord Loss and Slawter. The plot is part of a two-part story, which continues in book six. Though the previous four books have not been in chronological order, this book is the furthest book into the future. It mainly deals with whether or not Grubbs Grady will be struck with lycanthropy and how he will deal with
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
4.5

Well, that's annoying. Apparently I reviewed the first four, and then the sixth, seventh, and eighth before reviewing the fifth. Reviewer fail = confusion city for me. I'll try to keep it straight but this review will likely be short. Such a shame since it's the highest rating I've given the series.

Claire Chibi
2019 Reread

Rating: 4.5

I started reading this series in like 2006 but forgot to continue it after finishing all the released books (up to book 6) because I suck at waiting for things. Time to finally finish all of them!

The writing is definitely a little juvenile feeling which makes sense since the target audience is like half my age, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the book at all. The story pacing was extremely fast as is typical of books aimed towards younger readers, but the majority of the
Ash
I am actually in shock
Ninth
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Demonata fanatics
Recommended to Ninth by: Numey!
3 stars for the Demonata. Yup. Keep on killing!

*cracks knuckle*
To put it in a few lines
Grubbs Grady loves Reni Gossel.
Dervish Grady loves Juni Swan.
Nishanth Anchan loves someone else.
End of story.

This was not what I expected in a Demonata book. 90%- NO GORE!

First half is filled with boyfriend, girlfriend thingy. Kissing (I prefer strangling) and stuff...ewww.

Grubbs is considered mentally mental. A psychyatrist called Misery something tests him. Grubbs yells at him. CUT.

Sleepover at Grubbs' M
Ariya
May 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-reads
I never gave any Darren Shan's book less than 4 stars but Blood Beast leaves me no choice.

The writing-style is poor as Shan attempts to write such ordinary or even PTSD situations when it is too late to bring about teenage crush, merely a child's death (not that I'm cruel but why do I have to care so much about Loch with like more than 100 pages describing how Grubb feels so lost after encountering him dying? Don't you think it's a bit awkward and out of place?) plus about the used plot device;
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
With this book we’re once again back to finding out the story of Grubbs.

Again Grubbs is developing as a character, although for completely different reasons to those in prior books. Another well-paced book in the series, keeping you hooked from start to end. Moreover, this one ends on a cliff-hanger being part of two books which run one after another unlike the prior books in the series which seem to jump about in time a bit (unless you have read them in chronological order).
Joshua Bennett
Brilliant book. Love watching the growth of all the characters. Grubbs in particular. Love how he manages to flesh out every character. It’s one of those books you’ll find yourself turning pages till your fingers bleed. Remember reading this in one go. Was so impatient for the next one
Tyler Grossman
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jessica Gleason
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ryan McCarthy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Has some really great sequences, but I can't help but groan at the informal writing and liberal use of slang. ...more
Celine
Jun 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the first book in the Demonata series that I didn't particularly like. Darren Shan books are usually characterized by their fast moving plots, their inventive gore and lots of magical fighting.

Blood Beast doesn't have any action until the very end. Most part the story is about Grubbs going through the motions of teenage life, while worrying about not so teenage problems on top of that. He might have the family curse; he might turn into a werewolf.

I didn't like Grubbs's teenage problems.
Carmaletta Hilton
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Fabio
Blood Beast
By: Darran Shan
272 pages
ISBN13: 9780007231324

Grubbs keeps having nightmare about demons and his sister, who was killed by demons, trying to kill him. Everytime he wakes up from his nightmare, he is always experiencing some magical moment. Grubbs had made alot of friends and decided to throw a party one day after his uncle, Dervish, left. That same night, he had woken up in the bathroom, only to realize that he was howling like a werewolf.
Darren Shan has done a great job with his bo
Kiki van Dijk
I read this book in a couple of hours, which is special, because usually it takes me a couple of days to read the books by Darren Shan.
I think the more further you get into the story and into the series, you'll enjoy reading it more and more.
For example:
I had never read a book by Darren Shan before I read Lord Loss, so it took me a couple of days to finish the book. After reading the second and third book, I got into the Demonata series, so I read the other books in less than a day.
I can't wa
Jason
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
3.5 Stars

I could have given this book a much lower score just because of the ending. Or let me clarify this statement as by the lack of AN ending. If I did not already have book 6 in hand, I would have been extremely put out. This fantastic installment in what has become a favorite series of mine, ends right in the middle of the big scene. To make matters worse, the horrid three words were used....

To be continued.

Well, just like the book I want to share with you my love for the series, the auth
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
OMG, the best cliff-hunger ever!!! And everything was quite predictable and that kept the chills long and fresh! After Bec, I thought there would be nothing more gore and gross infected...guess I was wrong, and as on cue, Lord Loss has to be the "star"!!!
One thing about this series I'm anxious about is that, if there is a movie...its gonna be hard to watch!!
Ryan
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Miles Dracula
Aug 15, 2008 rated it liked it
confused and not as good as the others
Štěpán
The fifth book is in my point of view the worst yet. And to be honest I don't think that it is a bad book. It is just boring for hundred and ten pages. Previous books were slow but the first had slow second chapter. Second book was mystery from the begining. Third book was boring for sixty pages. Fourth book had interesting setting and even though it was not that engaging the time period held it all together and now this.

I think that more could have been done with Grubbs. We see his dealing with
Kimberly Rincon
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blood Beast (Demonata book 5) was a book about a boy who moves back to Carcery Vale, he’s learning to deal with his problems, and he’s trying to get his life back on track since he’s becoming part lycanthrope. He has weird nightmares but he just chooses to ignore them. He even makes some new friends at his school, he’s also interested in a girl and he thinks that she also shows interest in him. Along the story, Grubs struggles to contain his werewolf genes but matures slowly from a boy to man. A ...more
Jonathan Ergete
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is about a boy called Grubbs Grady who has so far escaped the family curse, but he starts to experience alarming symptoms of turning into a wolf. Grubbs lives with his uncle Dervish Grady who has protected and took care of him, but he also realises that with these symptoms he starts to develop magic powers, which he does to save the world from demons in the past five books which I yet haven’t read. This book is also known as book five: THE DEMONATA. He has cheated death, defeated demon ...more
Nick Scott
Sep 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Blood Beast again focuses on series regular Grubbs, who is back with a recovering Dervish. Interwoven with demonata storyline is teenager trouble via high school and the social circle that inevitably pollutes itself. This gives more insight into the adorable Bill-E, though, and two returning characters I never thought I'd see again.

I'll warn that this one ends on a massive cliffhanger - yikes!

It's hard to put down since Grubb's "changes" are fascinating and I was worried about how it would turn
evil
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a cliffhanger that was!

‘Blood Beast’ continues to tell Grubb’s point of view of the story and delivers once again. This one is definitely more of a filler than it’s a stand alone but damn does it do it well... It really connects the dots and takes the reader further into the world of the family curse.

The novel is the most psychological yet and it really offers me, a sucker for father-figure/son-figure dynamic, good times. Shan has always done that well and even though Dervish and Grubbs ar
Fionn
Grubbs and Bill-E are my favourite characters in this series so I was glad to have them back. They were both pretty different in this book though. Their relationship has changed and both are dealing with everything they've been through, I found these changes really interesting. They weren't the only characters acting strangely at times either, almost every character did.

There was quite a bit of school and romance stuff as well which I normally don't like but it wasn't too bad here. It wasn't re
Kate
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite my past reviews stating that there was a shocking amount of violence in the Demonata series, I was really disappointed by the lack of demons in this book. The last chapter of the book was the best because it was the only scene in which there were demons, and the violent, action-packed scenes that we had come to know in the other books appeared once again.

Until then, nothing too exciting had happened. I kept expecting a demon to appear at some point, but they never did, until the last sce
Lynn Robin
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Darren Shan’s disturbing stories about paranormal creatures and demons as a 10 year old kid, and even now, at 28, I still have a massive soft spot for his books.

Although I already read this fifth book in the Demonata series as a teenager, I barely remembered anything of this installment and OMG that twist at the end was SO surprising! I’m still reeling here!

What I really like about Darren Shan’s books is that his characters are far from perfect. Grubbs makes some really big m
minney
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)
  • City of the Snakes (The City Trilogy, #3)
  • Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy, #2)
  • Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6)
  • Random (Narey & Winter, #1)
  • Shahnameh: The Persian Book of Kings
  • The Dark Flight Down (Book of Dead Days, #2)
  • Sounds Dreadful
  • Explosive Experiments (Horrible Science)
  • The Terrible Truth About Time (Horrible Science)
  • Blood, Bones and Body Bits
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl #7)
  • Dragonslayer (Wings of Fire: Legends, #2)
  • آبنبات هل دار
  • Little Witch
  • Shadow Castle
  • The Countdown (The Taking, #3)
  • Department Nineteen (Department 19, #1)
Librarian's note: Also writes books for adults under the name Darren Dash. And in the past he has released books for adults under the names D.B. Shan and Darren O'Shaughnessy.

Darren Shan (born July 2, 1972 in London, England) is the pen name of the Irish author Darren O'Shaughnessy, as well as the name of the protagonist of his book series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as The Cirque Du Freak

The Demonata (10 books)
  • Lord Loss (The Demonata, #1)
  • Demon Thief (The Demonata, #2)
  • Slawter (The Demonata, #3)
  • Bec (The Demonata, #4)
  • Demon Apocalypse (The Demonata, #6)
  • Death's Shadow (The Demonata, #7)
  • Wolf Island (The Demonata, #8)
  • Dark Calling (The Demonata, #9)
  • Hell's Heroes (The Demonata, #10)