Start by marking “Rise, Let Us Be on Our Way” as Want to Read:
Rise, Let Us Be on Our Way

Rise, Let Us Be on Our Way

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  413 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
An inspirational memoir from the recently canonized Pope Saint John Paul II Following the success of the international bestseller Crossing the Threshold of Hope, Pope John Paul II provides the world with a glimpse into his past in RISE, LET US BE ON OUR WAY. Chronicling the years he spent as a bishop and later archbishop in Krakow, Poland through his election as the first ...more
Published September 28th 2004 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1996)

Ruth Ann
As expected, JPII is very insightful and shows his genuine love for Jesus in this book. He paints a beautiful picture of what it means to be a bishop in the Church. At first, I thought it would be very informative, but I wasn't sure how relevnant I would find it for my own life. I was overwhelmed with what I learned just by reading about this Pope's interactions with his people, and (as I should have known), came away with some beautiful quotes to live by.
Cortney
Aug 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Pope John Paul II writes about his time as a Bishop in Krakow and a little bit about being the Pope. I feel this book is meant more for the clergy than for lay people but it still is interesting. One thing that stands out to me is when he decided to become a priest in Poland, he was told by a mentor "not to waste his talents on the priesthood." All I can think of is thank God, he wasted his talents on the priesthood. Can you imagine where the Church would be if he hadn't?
Emerson John Tiu Ng
....a concise biography of St. John Paul II... its very inspiring... his vocation... got to know a little background on Poland's politics during his days... This is a perfect book for those searching their vocations....
Jim Gallen
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is John Paul the Great's reflection on his vocation and his vision of the role of the bishop. Even for those among the laity will find wisdom in its reflections. Read, and be on your way.
Samuel Peliska
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
At once autobiographical and didactic, this memoir by Pope John Paul II seamlessly weaves together a disarmingly candid account of his time as archbishop of Kraków with a heartfelt meditation on the significance of the episcopal office. His deep and humble character is revealed in his charmingly self-effacing recollections of his experiences leading up to his episcopal ordination. Throughout, he exhibits his profound respect for the significance of the bishop's office, and demonstrates an abidin ...more
Jeff
Aug 08, 2011 added it
An interesting read which helped me to gain an inside view of the Catholic Church in all its workings from the eyes of the Pope, and the journey it took for him to become Pope. I feel like alot of this book was lived theology, so I will have to glean from it in a second purusing, but definitely showed me how much He was following Christ in good and bad times.
Angeles
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this book and something about the title appealed to me, so I read it. Really slow, it was my read-and-think book, so I took my time. It really made me think. I think most people, despite their beliefs, appretiated this Pope, and so did I. I got to know more about his life and his commitment to his faith. He really was a remarkable human being. It was a goodread.
Anne
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story about John Paul II, as a catholic I loved reading his personal account of his life and PAPAL Life. I was lucky enough to have met him in a small group in July 1993. My cousin in Italy works @ the Vatican and myself and daughters were her guests (60 others) at his summer home. It was a blessed moment in time.
Tara
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Written for priests and bishops to follow, and for people to have a model for what their priests and bishops should be. Entirely focuses on his time as a bishop and thoughts about how bishops should be. Easy read overall with a solemn tone. He mentions a lot of people but you don't need to keep track of them.
Maria
Jun 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
A nice easy read about John Paul II's time as a bishop; chapters are short enough to keep attention, and lots of his interesting perspectives about life as a bishop and his road to the Vatican. He addresses the book towards other bishops, so it is interesting, but not fully applicable to everyone.
Ratforce
Based on your interest for Catholic authors and books on the Catholic faith, you may be interested in this autobiography which gives insights on the former Pope’s ideas on faith and his 46 years as a bishop.
Joe
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is certainly not the most exciting of books, but it was extremely entertaining and interesting. It provided some very interesting insight into the things that John Paul II thought, said, and did.
Pedro Avila
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religioso
A very good book, written by Saint John Paul II where he describes his life as a bishop in Cracow, with a very simple and explicit vocabulary, very enjoyable and a book that teaches us many aspects of the life inside the Church,.
Stephen
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pope John Paul II tells stories from his early priesthood. Some of them are covered in the movie John Paul II starring John Voight and Carey Elwes. It was wonderful to get the movie scenes in his own words. As a lay person, I really enjoyed hearing about this great man's life in his voice.
Tim Pham
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a moving book from a real superb high priest about his own experience and his love for the priesthood. After reading this book, you will look differently to the priesthood.
Matthew
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
JPII's reflections on his ministry as a bishop.
Alan
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
A book more for pastors than for laymen, but I found parts of it valuable. Longer review here: http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2...
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 added it
Shelves: theology
None
Erik Beyer
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very nice book to listen to. An enjoyable story of Pope John Paul II and his life and the adventures of growing to become a Pope.
Brian Reagan
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is interesting to see how he viewed his priesthood and papacy, in his own words.
Erik
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
About what it means to be a bishop and a servant of God, filled with his own experiences as bishop of Krakow and Pope
Edie
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!
George M.
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone who wishes to learn the path to sainthood in today's world. Awesome for anyone considering a religious vocation.
JM
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anglo-catholic
I'm very impressed! Wow.
Kela
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I especially enjoyed reading about his life and work in communist Poland.
Patrick Mullane
  • Journal of a Soul
  • A Life with Karol: My Forty-Year Friendship with the Man Who Became Pope
  • First Comes Love: Finding Your Family in the Church and the Trinity
  • The World's First Love: Mary, Mother of God
  • Where is That in the Bible?
Saint Pope John Paul II (Latin: Ioannes Paulus II), born Karol Józef Wojtyła was elected Pope at the Conclave of 16 October 1978, and he took the name of John Paul II. On 22 October, the Lord's Day, he solemnly inaugurated his Petrine ministry as the 263rd successor to the Apostle. His pontificate, one of the longest in the history of the Church, lasted nearly 27 years.

Driven by his pastoral solic
More about John Paul II...