Start by marking “Good Life, Good Death” as Want to Read:
Good Life, Good Death

Good Life, Good Death

Who are we? Where did we come from? Where are we going? How do we get there? Many have asked these questions, and many have attempted to answer them. But there is another question Good Life, Good Death asks us to contemplate: how does the idea of life after death affect how we live our lives? Gelek Rimpoche tells stories of the mystical Tibet he lived in, as well as the contemp ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Riverhead Books (first published October 1st 2001)

Start your review of Good Life, Good Death
Starr
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good Life, Good Death is written from the perspective of a Tibetan monk who lost his country after Communist China took over. Through personal experiences and ancient stories he demonstrates how negative emotions- hatred, jealousy, attachment-impact daily life and your ability to reincarnate.

There were quite a few things I enjoyed about this book. Primarily, it doesn't try to "sell" reincarnation, but simply offers the idea and some reasoning behind it using personal experiences and
Viet Hung Nguyen
Đây là một cuốn sách đơn giản, mộc mạc, rõ ràng và khúc chiết về các khái niệm vốn quen thuộc, nhưng không dễ giải thích thấu đáo trong giáo lý nhà Phật: sự sân hận, sự luyến ái, và bản ngã.
Ngoài ra, tác giả cũng có một số giải thích tuy ngắn gọn, nhưng rất mạnh mẽ về tiến trình của sinh và tử. Khá thú vị để mọi người suy ngẫm. Và cũng sẽ là thách thức để có thể trải nghiệm và chứng thực những kiến thức này đối với một con người bình thường.
Trong khi thực tập thiền quán cần nhiều thờ
Mary
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirit
We make it a point to go hear Rimpoche whenever he is in Lincoln, every year or so. Happened to be here about three weeks after I left my last job with much public attention--and he gave me much comfort and perspective.

This is on the "Reread At Will" bookshelf in my room. Although much of this is autobiographical, there is much to think about here and well worth the time.
David
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply a must have book for understanding death and living a better life. Gelek Rimpoche has the ability to take obscure Tibetan Buddisht concepts and make the very easy to understand for Westerners. This is truly a must have and must read book.
Anna
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
written by "one of the last reincarnated lamas from tibet". way cool.
Kathleen
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!!! Read in two days.
Reshma  David
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A simple lesson on life and death.
Sunny
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
Overview of reincarnation from Jewel Heart founder.
Lisa
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Just finished this book and I am glad to have read it. Was going through my father's studio and just picked it up and started reading. I appreciated the very human, day to day approach of living compassionately and fully. So many good reminders of how to be in the world. Interestingly, I found myself no more wanting to be a Bhuddist than I would want to be a follower of any other religion--there is something intrinsically flawed when an elightened being's experience gets translated to a broader ...more
Patricia
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration
Gehlek accomplishes his purpose of explaining Tibetan Buddhist ideas about living an dying to Westerners in their own terms. Though much of the material was not new to me, the delivery was fresh and deepened my understanding of how to prepare for a "good death."

Some of the members of my Sangha have formulated a "Dying to Live" group. Among other things, we are preparing to offer a workshop in our community related to completing end-of-life documents. Gehlek's book is one of many that
Donna Burtwistle-Popplewell
I am fascinated by Buddhism and even more interested in the idea of reincarnation. Rimpoche Gehlek delivers an comprehensive and fascinating look at the concepts behind living a life without suffering. It is not a book that intends to convert or preach about the greatness of Buddhism over other beliefs, but rather presents information and ideas from one man's perspective. The fact that he is a revered teacher and lama in Tibet and the US doesn't hurt!
WndyJW
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gelek Rimpoche grew up in Tibet and spent his entire early life in a monastery. He is one of the last generation of the great Monks of Tibet before the Chinese came. He had the same teachers as the Dalai Lama and His Holiness asked Rimpoche to come to America to teach the Dharma. Rimpoche loves America and our culture and makes the Dharma easy to understand for Westerners.
Beau
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked the simple, strait forward approach of this book. The concepts presented easy to understand. It was offered in such a way that belief was not required; only an open mind to another way of thinking. Worth a look.
Micah
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice. Though, the cover shown is the cover from a Nick Hornby book.
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
accessible.
Easy to read
Jilly
Jul 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
"read"
Mary
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very down-to-earth account of Tibetan Buddhist teachings about death and reincarnation. It made me want to learn more.
Beth
This is a book I need to reread because there is so much information that it is hard to take in on the first reading.
Rachel Knoche
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It gives a unique perspective on how to live a good life. I really enjoyed all the different examples and the mantras at the end.
Christian
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is great as a guide to daily practice, but more for off the cushion than on. It's in the vein of Lojong/Lamrim, or Mind Training. Wonderful.
Ms.
Nov 28, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
My 2nd time reading it....most excellent!
Elisa

• Ariel
  • The Pilgrimage
  • Art Matters
  • The Twin
  • Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)
  • Zorba the Greek
  • The Art of Asking; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help
  • Sleeping, Dreaming, and Dying: An Exploration of Consciousness
  • An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life
  • Grief is the Thing with Feathers
  • A Moveable Feast
  • The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1)
  • The Norse Myths
“Người ta luôn hỏi, "Hằng ngày tôi phải thực tập những gì?" Câu trả lời của tôi là, "Suốt ngày canh chừng giận dữ, luyến ái, và bản ngã.” 2 likes
“Buông bỏ thức ăn hay tài sản khá dễ dàng nhưng buông bỏ tiếng tăm lại khó hơn. Thậm chí một người thiền định ở một nơi vắng vẻ cũng hi vọng rằng một người chăn cừu lẻ loi nào đó sẽ tìm ra ông ta và kể cho dân làng biết.” 1 likes