Start by marking “Brianna, My Brother, and the Blog” as Want to Read:
Brianna, My Brother, and the Blog

Brianna, My Brother, and the Blog

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  621 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews

Brianna needs a friend, someone to keep her from being lonely while she’s waiting for her missionary, Robbie, to come home. And who better for the job than Robbie’s brother, Austin? He can keep the other men at bay while giving Brianna guy-type help, like hauling her harp around on weekends to play at wedding receptions.

Austin needs a friend, too. And Brianna is the perfe

Published (first published September 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Brianna, My Brother, and the Blog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brianna, My Brother, and the Blog

Kathryn
Lacey
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a Jack Weyland book in quite a while, but for some reason this one intrigued me. I'm not sure what to rate it though. Because there were some aspects of the book I liked....but then again there were some that I thought were terrible. It was so dramatic....a little to dramatic for me. And it went to fast. Three months went by in one paragraph. I could not stand the brother, (Robby). He was a complete idiot. Jack Weyland has a very unique writing style..and for some reason I still r ...more
Lacey
May 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay for what it was... a Jack Weyland book. I really enjoyed his books when I was a younger teenager, but now not so much at all. No real detail or character development. Just a plot line. Meh.
Suzie
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is possibly the cheesiest book I've ever read, but I think I would have thoroughly enjoyed it as a thirteen year old.
Dlora
Read it in a day--easy and fun. I've always enjoyed Jack Weyland, one of the first good LDS novelists for teens. However, when I read this novel after years of not reading a Weyland, I realized that they are sort of like screen plays--lots of dialogue and not a lot of scene setting or action. They are also romances from a masculine viewpoint, which is intriguing. This one particularly, is about a boy falling in love with his brother's girlfriend; she's waiting for him to come back from his missi ...more
AnnaMay
Feb 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd already reviewed this, but it appears I haven't.

Really lame return missionary brother. Jack Weyland seems to be about two or three decades behind in his perception of LDS reality. The cultural circumstances on which he bases some of his characters are really outdated. I think he should have quit writing while he was ahead, because now he's just perpetuating some 'bad things' that the prophets and apostles have worked so hard at weeding out. (Think: your mission being the ground fo
Cynthia
I admit it. I am a 30+ year old woman who checked out a Jack Weyland book from the library. I'd just finished a massive biography and needed something light to read. Boy did this fit the bill. Do you remember reading Jack Weyland as a teenager and thinking it was just wonderful? Well, this book was a super easy, super light read. Nothing life changing here. I laughed a few times and came away hating the returned missionary brother who was truly lame. If you feel that Jack Weyland longing go back ...more
Susan
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-novels
This is a quick, easy, enjoyable book about Austin who falls in love with his brother's girlfriend, Brianna. His brother is on a mission. So although they love each other, they try really hard to not do anything they'll have to tell Robbie about. It has very funny parts--like the birthday presents. There were a few things that didn't make sense to me, like why he made Brianna clean the garage and fill in the cracks on the sidewalk. I really liked his blogs. Every man should read them.
Lori
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Read this one with my girls. They loved it and I had a laughing fit with the birthday present chapter. I hadn't read a Weyland book in years and enjoyed this one.

Austin returns home from his mission to meet his brothers girlfriend, who he ends up becoming good friends with while she waits for his brother to return. I loved that this book emphasized the importance of friendship in anyserious relationship.
Susan
Dec 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Weyland uses humor well. Sometimes it is easy to laugh and miss just what is important that Mr Weyland it trying to convey. This book is about a brother, Austin, who meets his younger brother's girl and falls hard. They decide they can be friends while waiting for the younger brother to return from his mission. The real message of the book is in the blog Austin writes, about how to treat women, from things he learns from Brianna. Lots of things young men, and women, need to know.
Linda
Jun 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
An enjoyable quick read. Weyland has a way of making his characters real, without overdoing the description or dialog. For the most part, I found the characters realistic. Robbie was a bit over the top. Some of the events were a bit over the top, but what the heck, it's a good clean read for your teenage girl. And the blog advice, while a bit mature for a college kid, is quite good advice for any guy--dating or married! (Although I think this is definitely a "chick book.")
Shavonne
This was an easy, light read; I read it in a couple of hours. I thought it was very predictable, though I didn't mind because it was entertaining and had me laughing. The things Austin wrote about in his blog were mostly things I learned in family relations classes so they're good advice. If you could convince a teen boy to read it, he should because it talks about dating and how to treat girls.
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-fiction
Another wonderful Jack Weyland book. I went into the local LDS bookstore and found this and a second Jack Weyland book, and although I had started the other one first, I misplaced it during packing and so I opted for this instead.

A great read. I love a lot of the books he writes (Although nothing will top the three books involving Charly).
Katie W
A very light, easy, simple story. I was almost wondering why it wasn't listed in the YF category, instead of adult. Brianna meets Austin when he comes home from his mission. He is her boyfriend's brother---and she's waiting for him. They became very good friends and the story takes off. There wasn't a lot of depth to the story, but sometimes a big of fluff/mind candy is in order.
Emma
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's been probably a decade since I've read a Jack Weyland. I enjoyed them immensely during my teenage years, and so picked one up for a quick entertaining read over a vacation. I may have been able to enjoy this one when I was an older teenager, but not so much now. Sorry Jack. Still love you though.
Megan
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I absolutly LOVE this book at times it made me want to scream because of Austin or Robbie but other times it made me laugh out loud. I read it in one sitting, it was so captivating I just could'nt put it down.I love romatic books so I liked it, but If you don't like romance this is most definantly NOT a book for you. *sigh* It had the ending I wanted so I was pretty happy with it.
Jenny
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading Jack Weyland since I was a young awkward teen. His books never disappoint. So, when I was at the library recently I found Brianna, My Brother and the blog on the shelf. It tickled my fancy that I had found a new one to read. I read it in one day, a couple of hours to be exact.

Very cute story. Another book I will let my girls read.
Kate
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I was pleasantly surprised at this book. I kept laughing out loud so much that my hubby asked me to read it aloud and later he started reading it! That is a huge compliment! Funny dialogue. The only thing I didn't like about the book was Brianna's friend- she freaked me out big time. She was a little scary. But it ended up well.
Kristyn
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CUTE story!! I really loved it and laughed a lot, but wasn't fond of the lame ending, so I marked it down a star. Great advice for husbands, men and boys in it, so I will HIGHLY encourage my hubby and son to read it. They already want to though, since I have read them parts that I was laughing about. Clever, cute and well written.
Lisa
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what made me absolutely love this Jack Weyland! I read it in about 2 1/2 hours and laughed and giggled throughout it. It is what MANY twenty-something men should read - who aren't married and really want to! It's about thinking about the "woman" first and I agreed with it! Great stuff! Thanks Jack!
Brenna
Mar 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was definitely written for a pre-teen audience, yet the principles he tried to teach in it are more for the dating world. It had a few humorous moments, but for the most part was pretty cheesy.
Clarica
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mm, it was okay. I read The Makeover of James Orville Wickenbee afterwards and found it much more appealing. This story sounded a little... thin. So it was okay, but I don't think I would really take the time to read it again.
Jessica Bryson
Oh dear. This book was predictable and pathetic. The storyline was very unrealistic and simple. I would not recommend this to a twelve year old who wants to learn about weird, Mormon, BYU students.
Terrie
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light, good read typical of Jack Weyland. Brianna needs a friend, someone to keep her from being lonely while she's waiting for her missionary, Robbie, to come home. And who better for the job than Robbie's recently returned missionary brother, Austin? Very predictable, but I still enjoyed it.
Gkeller123
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for work, not expecting to really like it. It sounded sort of cheesy. But, once I started it last night, I couldn't stop. It is about more than romance, quite a nice story. Somewhat predictable, but a few twists and turns to add interest. A good young adult read.
Sally
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know, it's way too cheesy and dramatic, but it was just a fun, easy read! I literally read it in one sitting--started it at 11pm and the next thing I knew it was 1:30am, and I had finished it. Just a cute, easy, clean book.
Anoush Emrazian
Pretty standard Weyland. I liked his earlier stuff. His books now always have some kind of lesson or moral or preaching . . . and it's not very light. This was a pretty dull romance, pretty straightforward, not complicated. Meh.
Stevie
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy read, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed his earlier books. I wonder if it's because I'm older now? I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this as a young adult either though. It just didn't have much substance to it.
Jenn
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to out myself as a huge Jack Weyland fan from way back when, so maybe take my review with a grain of salt. I really liked this book a lot. There were some issues, but on the whole, it's a fun, light read.
Heather
Nov 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-authors
I used to love reading Jack Weyland books so was excited when a new one came out. Unfortunately, I think I have out-grown them as I didn't like this one as much as I have others of his, but still an alright read.
  • Previously Engaged
  • Rules of Engagement
  • The Makeover of James Orville Wickenbee
  • To Have or to Hold
  • Time and Eternity
  • Taking Chances (Alpine, #2)
  • The Silence of Snow (Jason Wolfe, #5)
  • First Day
  • Trial of the Heart
  • A Love Like Lilly
  • How to Stuff a Wild Zucchini
  • The Baseball Box Prophecy
Jack Weyland is the best-selling author of young-adult fiction for the Latter-day Saint market. In fact, the modern genre of Latter-day Saint-themed popular fiction is one he is largely responsible for creating with his overwhelmingly popular novel Charly. His interest in fiction began with a correspondence course in creative writing taken during a summer at BYU where he was doing research work. S ...more
More about Jack Weyland...