Start by marking “When the Snow Fell” as Want to Read:
When the Snow Fell

When the Snow Fell (Joel Gustafsson #3)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  450 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
As it has in the past, the first snow of the year signifies to Joel Gustafson his very own New Year's Eve. So when the snow begins to fall on a cold November day, Joel gets busy making resolutions--three to be exact. Resolution #1: Live to be at least a hundred. He realizes that this will require toughening himself up by testing his physical limits. Resolution #2: Set his ...more
Published January 25th 2011 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about When the Snow Fell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Snow Fell

Liselott
I really like Henning Mankell's books, but until now I've only read his crime books about Kurt Wallander, the swedish superintendent at Ystad police force.
'When the snow fell' was at my local library's ' young adult section'. However, I wasn't disappointed. It's a beautifully written, a heartwarming book.
Joel, almost 14, lives in a remote village in north of Sweden where everyone knows everyone. He is his own mum he sais as Jenny his real mum ran away when he was a young child. Joel does all the
Hortensia
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cada vez me enamora más el personaje central de esta historia, el ya no tan pequeño Joel, literalmente se me hace adulto delante de los ojos y me conmueve en el proceso. Casi me siento como una habitante del pueblito donde viven los Gustafsson siendo testigo de las venturas y desventuras de Joel y su padre.

Me queda por leer solo un libro más de esta serie y me temo que se me quedará en el corazón.
Eileen Doyle
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicely written coming of age story about a boy in Northern Sweden who has in many ways already grown-up, as he tries to understand the crazy adults who make up his world and his growing curiosity about sex. Definitely not an adventure story, unless your adventures involve lots of snow. Has a similar feel to My Life As A Dog.
Roy
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a magical book written from the perspective of a child. It is a companion piece to 2 books I haven't read yet. It is a young adult novel but is fascinating to all us older children, too.
Elizabeth
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love anything that Henning Mankell writes.
Parisa
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
احساسات مثل درها بودند؛ جوئل اینرا میدانست . غصه اتاق خودش را داشت ، نا امیدی اتاق خودش را و شادی مال خودش را. زندگی مانند راهرو درازی بود. هر دری که پشت سر می گذاشتی، می توانست رازهایی داشته باشد و هر کسی اگر مایل بود می توانست آنرا انتخاب کند یا از آن گذر کند.بعضی از درها را می توانستی بزنی و وارد شوی و بعضی را نه، فقط می توانستی از آنها گذر کنی. اما درهایی هم بودند که ناخواسته برایت باز می شدند، حتی درهایی که به نظر می آمدند قفل اند و هرگز باز نمی شوند. آنها نیز می توانستند غیرمنتظره به رویت ...more
Barbara
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-eval-book
Henning Mankell, the successful adult mystery writer, is trying his hand at the lucrative young adult market. While the writing in When Snow Fell is evocative and beautiful, it is hard to imagine young readers engaging with this book. Additionally, the setting is the 1950s in a small town in northern Sweden, not a sure-fire attention grabber. Thirteen-year-old Joel Gustafson celebrates his own personal New Year’s Eve when the first snowfall of winter comes with resolutions and all. As always, th ...more
Петър Панчев
Юел опознава любовта
Цялото ревю тук: http://knijenpetar.blogspot.com/2014/...
Юел Гюстафсон отново гори от желание да опознае неизвестното и да получи от живота онази тръпка, която всеки тийнейджър на тринайсет години е готов да изпита. Хенинг Манкел е успял да надгради историята си в третата книга от поредицата. Юел пораства със скоростта на мечтите си, поставяйки си високи цели, независимо от трудностите, които го следват неотклонно. Въпросите стават сложни, отговорите - истински прозрения. От
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

On the first snowfall of the year, 14-year-old Joel always makes his New Year's resolutions.

This year he's made three: live to be 100, patch up his relationship with his father, and see a girl naked.

Life keeps getting in the way, however, of him reaching his goals. His father is a lumberjack who goes on drinking binges and seems unhappy with life. His mother abandoned them years ago. To add to his plate, he's trying to navigate girls, first kisses, bullies,
Angela Schaffer
Aug 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I chose to read this book because I had read several books from Mankell's Wallander series for a graduate course on Scandinavian Crime Fiction. I was interested to see what Mankell was now writing for young adults. Perhaps because I didn't read this in order of the series, or perhaps because the translation was extremely poor, I was not at all impressed with this novel. The plot was barely present. Further, a lot of the components of this novel fail to follow through. Shouldn't we learn more abo ...more
Catherine Woodman
The third in the trilogy about Joel, a 12 year old boy in rural 1950's Sweden (Mankell himself??). This continued to be an odd series from the start to the finish. Joel is not all that likable, nor is his father a model parent (by any means)--in this one he starts to proposition women, and seeing his father as competition. His father also lapses into drinking in this one, and you start to see why Joel has this pseudo-adult persona--he had to take it on. I liked this series over all but I would n ...more
Alessandro Rizzolli
Joel è un adolescente, ma per certi versi è già adulto.
Joel ha voglia di vedere il mondo, ma vive in un piccolo Paese nel nord della Svezia, dove c'è la neve, dove c'è un fiume, ma dove il mare non c'è.
Joel ha tante paure, ma è anche un ragazzino coraggioso.
Joel ha tante domande, ma giorno per giorno cerca di trovare le risposte.
Joel fa la spesa e prepara la cena, ma sogna di Paesi lontani.
A Joel piace stare da solo, ma a Joel fa piacere stare con la gente.
Joel è un bambino normale, ma è anche u
Kelly
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, seattle
Thirteen-year-old Jacob lives in small-town 1950s Sweden with his father, a sailor turned logger, in this coming-of-age tale. Jacob is forced to be his "own mother," as he puts it, responsible for the shopping, cooking, and cleaning, as his mother left several years ago. By the end of the story, Jacob has learned a bit about growing up, and a bit about how to still be a kid. Very well written, though the translator's choices seemed odd at some points.
Linley
I'm not sure why this book was written. The central character is all over the place, seemingly behaving in a random manner that I just couldn't follow. Was Mankell writing from his childhood experiences? The book only seemed real when Joel need to become a parent to his own father. I hope someone does enjoy it - don't be put off by this review, I read a lot and am rather fussy. The books I like have to have more depth.
Judy Mcdonald
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading a few books from Swedish authors. This is a young adult book, imaginative and dark with the central character seeming more innocent than I expect a thirteen year old to be. Like me he was born in 1945. I also read Italian Shoes by Henning Mankell, a story about an isolated retired doctor. Mankell gives a good sense of location and creates vivid characters.
Michael Carlson
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It fascinates me that two of Scandinavia's darkest crime writers (Jo Nesbo and Henning Mankell) also write books for children! I haven't read Nesbo's popular Dr. Fart Powder books (!) but I have enjoyed this series of novels from Henning Mankell about Joel Gustafson as nears and then reaches puberty.
They're excellent.
Missy
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminds me of Brian Doyle's young male characters but in a Swedish setting. I enjoyed the writing, the characters and the trip to a different place and a different time. Some wonderful passages that I wanted to study and hang on to!
Ellen Thielen
A departure from his usual detective series, this insight into the life of a 14 year old Swedish boy's life in the 1950s started out slow. After it gained momentum, and more characters, it redeemed itself some.
Anni
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I read a non-Wallander by Mankell. Readable, though I'm certainly not part of the ather audience (which would be teenage boys). He touches on crucial issues of growing up without ever lecturing. Personally, I will stick to Mankell's adult fiction in te future though.
Dale
Not for me!
Mariana
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this coming of age series of novels about a young boy growing up at the end of the 1950's in a small town in rural Sweden.
Mike Taverner
A kid's book and I liked it. I related to the young boy in the story - and I guess I like Swedish stories
Tracy Wild
Sweet.
John Gall
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gem from the late Henning Mankell. I do love his writing, whether crime, or just about people and life, he hits the spot every time. One of my, possibly even most, favourite author.
Anna
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short coming of age novel about a Swedish boy in a small village during the 1950's. Funny and sad and enjoyable.
Charlène
Histoire trop lente, on attends qu'il se passe quelque chose...
En revanche, belle transition pour Joel, garçon très intelligent qui se prépare à passer dans le monde adulte.
Pat
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mankell is one of my favorite writers, but this book was boring.

coming of age...sometimes funny, sometimes sad, mostly not very interesting.
Frida
Jun 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found the book very boring and uninteresting, though I suppose it could have been because I actually read the book in German.
Noussa Assma
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book
Kieran
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, kindle
A kids book, very do goody. Troublesome child makes good. Hovwever, Mankell writes well enough.
  • Samurai (Simon St George, #2)
  • Fireflies
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
  • Enid (Quatre soeurs, #1)
  • Alis
  • Chasing the Bear (A Young Spenser Novel)
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • Foxspell
  • See Ya, Simon
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
  • Some of the Kinder Planets: Stories
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
Henning Mankell was an internationally known Swedish crime writer, children's author and playwright. He was best known for his literary character Kurt Wallander.

Mankell split his time between Sweden and Mozambique. He was married to Eva Bergman, Swedish director and daughter of Ingmar Bergman.
More about Henning Mankell

Joel Gustafsson (4 books)
  • A Bridge to the Stars
  • Shadows in the Twilight (Joel Gustafsson, #2)
  • Journey to the End of the World (Joel Gustafsson #4)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
“To grow up is to wonder about things; to be grown up is to slowly forget the things you wondered about as a child.” 92 likes