Start by marking “Nursing Against the Odds: How Health Care Cost Cutting, Media Stereotypes, and Medical Hubris Undermine Nurses and Patient Care” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  206 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In the United States and throughout the industrialized world, just as the population of older and sicker patients is about to explode, we have a major shortage of nurses. Why are so many RNs dropping out of health care's largest profession? How will the lack of skilled, experienced caregivers affect patients? These are some of the questions addressed by Suzanne Gordon's de ...more
Paperback
Published April 1st 2006 by ILR Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nursing Against the Odds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nursing Against the Odds

Terri
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Nurses
Recommended to Terri by: assigned reading for a class
This book will change the way you look at nursing as a profession.

I had to read this for a class I'm taking and recommend it to be read by any nurse. Some clasmates reacted badly to the book, in that it portrayed nursing in a negative light... I thought it ought to be looked at as what nursing has overcome in the past and tremendous impact nurses can and do have on healthcare in the United States.
Melissa
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
OK this was supposed to be the book that I was going to write... if you are a nurse you must read it. You could skip the middle part about media portrayals, not as interesting.
Rielly
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Anyone who knows a nurse, wants to be a nurse, or cares about the health care debate should at least flip through this interesting read.
Gail
Jul 23, 2008 is currently reading it
This book is informative, well written but a bit depressing since I am a nurse. I honestly have to read this book in spurts...otherwise I think I would get a little depressed and quit my job.
Rainier Moreno-Lacalle
The writer and journalist Suzzane Gordon offers a compelling story why nursing as a profession is constantly dumb down, unappreciated, tagged as second-class workers, let alone oppressed & exploited in the health industry. She started the book by discussing the unjustified dominance of the medical profession in the health industry, meek history of the nursing which resonates to contemporary nursing practice, the wrong portrayal of the media, and nurses unassertive stance to many health issue ...more
Joy Endreshak
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursing-medical
Kinda of a dry read, but FULL of great information. This book was a principle resource for a term paper I wrote the year it was published.
Miranda Mata
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book, while well researched and so very true, was so depressing and anger inflicting to me, that I had to stop mid way through. I really recommend it because it speaks the truth, but don't expect it to be positive in any light. As a nurse who is fed up with the political part of my profession, it made me take a hiatus to really think about whether I want to be a floor nurse for the rest of my life. And the answer is no, no I do not want to be treated as such for the rest of my life. So, I'v ...more
Elise
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-top-20-list
Read by a reluctant nurse (I NEVER thought I would choose this career path, nor did I ever have any nurse role-models in my family)...read this book with an open mind and be careful not to take only the dark parts of the book away. The last section provides insight on how to fix these nursing problems, and this should be the take-away message. I would like for non-nurses to read this so I could get their take on the book (Suzanne Gordon, the author, is not a nurse). Sometimes I get depressed whe ...more
Terry
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you are a nurse or a physician, this is a must read. I've been a nurse for more years than I would care to remember,and the sad thing is that nothing has changed since I began my career years ago. I'm not sure it ever will, and I've yet to figure out why we continue to allow this attack on our importance and professionalism. Suzanne Gordon's discussion reflects what so many of us have experienced for too long, while hanging on for dear life to remain patient advocates. The hubris she examines ...more
With Butterflies
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wow, quite a book. It many places it angered me while in some it depressed me. I've been a nurse for about 10 years and I'd say she nailed the "politics" of it in most hospital settings.

I feel that she, like many authors, really went wild with the worst case scenario situations. That's why I won't give it five stars, but it is worth reading.
Crystal
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was really interesting for me to read as someone who is thinking of going into nursing. But I'd recommend it to anyone interested in health care, politics, media studies, and gender studies. I learned a lot.
Helena
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Suzanne Gordon really knows her nursing politics and issues. Although I found this book profoundly difficult to read at times because of the accuracy with which she describes the frustrations of being a bedside nurse, she also provided some much needed validation. A double edged sword I guess.
Natalie
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Nurses, Doctors, Health care professionals
Our health care industry and how it is truly falling apart. Also the detailed accounts of why we have a nursing shortage. Truly fascinating
Lene
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I got this book for Christmas a couple of years ago. Maybe I should read it now that I am in the middle of the mess...
ChickDude1
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Kind of a downer, but gives you the realities that we nurses face every day; parts of this should be required reading for all patients who come into the hospital...
Deb Mccamish
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Couldn't get into the book much
Oceanmtnfan
Dec 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Depressing :(
Hunybe
Oct 05, 2008 marked it as to-read
I have to stop reading this book. I'm getting too angry.
Jan Stone
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Another painful look inside the nursing profession.
Nabel_asamhotmail.com
Mar 04, 2012 marked it as to-read
I'm going into a Bachelor of Science in Nursing program in September and I want to be more informed about taking that path. Hopefully, this'll help me out!
David
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
great book, well researched. in my opinion, acurately tells of the modern nurse's difficulty in the current health care system.
Hélène
  • Bed Number Ten
  • A Nurse's Story
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • Emergency!: True Stories From The Nation's ERs
  • Bedside Manners: One Doctor's Reflections on the Oddly Intimate Encounters Between Patient and Healer
  • Internal Bleeding: The Truth Behind America's Terrifying Epidemic of Medical Mistakes
  • Final Gifts: Understanding the Special Awareness, Needs, and Communications of the Dying
  • The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity (Norton History of Science)
  • Secret Agents: The Menace of Emerging Infections
  • Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives
  • Virus X
  • Chicken Soup for the Nurse's Soul - Second Dose: More Stories to Honor and Inspire Nurses (Chicken Soup for the Soul (Paperback Health Communications))
  • County: Life, Death and Politics at Chicago's Public Hospital
  • Hope in Hell: Inside the World of Doctors Without Borders
Suzanne Gordon is an award winning journalist and author who writes about healthcare delivery and health care systems. She is the author of more than 15 books, including Beyond the Checklist and First Do Less Harm, both published in 2012.
More about Suzanne Gordon

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis