Start by marking “A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty” as Want to Read:

In this eloquent account of her current struggle with physical pain, Joni Eareckson Tada offers her perspective on divine healing, God’s purposes, and what it means to live with joy.

Over four decades ago, a diving accident left Joni a quadriplegic. Today, she faces a new battle: unrelenting pain. The ongoing urgency of this season in her life has caused Joni to return to f
Published September 1st 2010 by David C. Cook (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Place of Healing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place of Healing

Start your review of A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty
Kara Larson
Listened to this on the way to work but took this few notes.
Joni used an awesome story of Perlman performing a concert during which a string broke. He continued the symphony, re-fingering the whole thing. When he finished and the crowd exploded with applause he stated that a true artist takes what is left and makes a unique, beautiful sound/story that couldn't be made if something hadn't been broken/taken away.
God doesn't say "be thankful." He says "give thanks."
Don't ask God to change your situ
Linda
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bought this book for my Kindle while in bed struggling with an illness. I live with chronic pain as well. It was really helpful to me. There was so much that Joni said that I liked, I started out trying to underline it all on my Kindle. Between my Kindle freezing (which they do when you underline a lot) and finding so many good points to underline, I finally gave up! I would have underlined half the book! This book was a good reminder to me of God's love and care, even when it seems He isn't a ...more
Sharon
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
As my illness progresses and death draws nearer, this book (a type I always avoid), was just what I needed. Hope, spirit, resilience and examples are just what I needed to get through my next stage in treatment.. I listened to it on audible while my body recuperated and found that my body's recuperation was accompanied by the spiritual strength this book provided.
Chris
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read about half of this book and stopped reading for several months. I am so glad I finally finished because the stories about her wheelchair donation crusade are worth the whole book (and they are in the last quarter of the book!). Good read if you or someone you love needs healing or has a disability.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
MY REVIEW:

This is the raw, honest, and vulnerable sharing from Joni's heart and from the Word of God about suffering. It's a powerful look at how God is a loving God and has plans for us to bring glory to Him and grow in our relationship with Him.

I enjoyed Joni's amazing perspective, steady faithfulness, and open honesty. She addresses the issue of Healing Services in a kind, yet biblically sound way. After reading this book you will have a better appreciation for your life as it is and for all
John
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty" is an apt subtitle for this book, for just like Jacob wrestled with God many centuries ago, Joni has been wrestling with God for decades, ever since she took that dive into a too shallow lake as a teenager and became a quadriplegic.

Joni doesn't speak on suffering & healing as a lofty theologian, or as some shallow social commentator, but as a real woman who has walked through real suffering and pain for all her adult life.
Amanda
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Joni is an amazing woman, and this book is fantastic for anyone struggling with health challenges. She has the ability to look at situations God has placed her in and praise him for his work through it. This book was super encouraging to me, and make me praise God for the capacities I have and for the challenges he has given me, that he may use me through them.
I listened to it as an audiobook, but would consider re-reading it as a book too, because I'm sure I missed pieces of it by just li
Trisha
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautifully encouraging books about pain and suffering I've read.
Janelle
An easy five stars. This was such a fantastic book. Joni wrote it in the midst of her suffering with chronic pain and this lends the book a sense of comradeship and empathy between the author and reader.
Joni covers a number of topics such as suffering, healing, healthcare and mission to the disabled. Every topic is imbued with the light of eternity and our relationship with God. I recommend this book to everyone facing challenges in life, be they physical, emotional or relational, etc.
Ramsey Hootman
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got this book during a free download promotion and just opened it out of curiosity, knowing I liked Joni but not really having a specific interest in this book.

However, I soon found that it was exactly the book I didn't know I was looking for. A couple of years ago my daughter was stillborn, and since then I've often struggled with all of the various dark and bitter thoughts that attend the loss of a child.

A Place of Healing is not just about physical pain or disability. It's about how we, a
Ashley
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful, encouraging, and convicting book! I loved it from start to finish.
David
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A friend gave this to me at the beginning of the year and said it helped him while he was in the hospital. Honestly, I didn't know anything about the author and the beginning chapter felt like this was one of those syrupy, sappy, cheesy Christian books, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I've had my fill of them and don't find them palatable or filling anymore. I set it in my backpack and thus forgot about it. Ten months later I pull it out late at my mom's house and decide to at least fini ...more
Brenda
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challies-2017
The fact that Joni wrote this from the midst of her pain made this so real, so relate-able, so powerful. She wasn't through it. She couldn't see the other side. She didn't know whether there would be any relief this side of heaven. She asked, "Why?" She didn't know the answer to that question, but she knew the answers God has given her through the years. She knew that He is faithful and works all things for her good and His glory. She knew that He has a purpose for her pain and that His care for ...more
Meredith
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really appreciated this perspective on this book. Joni is writing concerning her battle with chronic pain and how to find joy and contentment in the battle. She answers questions so many of us ask in our own minds about pain and suffering. Her responses are biblical and help dispel some of the "christian" answers about faith and healing and sin. The biggest idea I came away with was that God uses suffering and pain in our lives to draw us into sweet communion relationship with Him. This book ...more
Diane Perry
Wonderful

She is such an inspiration. This book is helpful in so many ways. No matter where you are in life she offers hope and insight to get you through. The scriptures were beautiful and as always she is a great teacher.
Stefani S.
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has been a continual inspiration to me.
Janice Kohl
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read my father in law's copy of this book and since he suffered with chronic, and often, severe back pain, the book was much more meaningful to me. Also, I am familiar with the author's story.
Birgit
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the very first book I have ever listened to and it was ok. For a new Christian (not sure if I can call myself that) I did find it a bit heavy going at times but nonetheless inspirational.
Tammy
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this to everyone, but especially those who struggle with chronic pain and suffering.
Danielle Williamson
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suffering
Joni wrote this book while she was in chronic pain and that amazes me. Her honesty is stunning and hopeful- she is so full of grace and truth that it's exactly what she spills out in this book. I would give a copy of this to anyone who is going through suffering, and I know I'll be returning to it again and again. Joni is a masterpiece! (The only thing that made me a bit uncomfortable in this book were the last two chapters in which she shares stories about traveling to distribute wheelchairs. T ...more
Raquel Evans
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best thing I've read in quite a while. Everything about it was beautiful and encouraging and often tear inducing. I'm considering how many copies I should buy in order to get most everyone I know to read it.
Emily M
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Suffering can turn us from a dangerous direction.
Suffering reminds us where our true strength lies.
Suffering restores a lost beauty in Christ.
Suffering can heighten our thirst for Christ.
Suffering can increase our fruitfulness.
Autumn Kovach
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I was very encouraged by Joni's book. Even though she experiences a very extreme and unique version of suffering, her writing is very compassionate for Christians who suffer in many different ways. To hear her story of how God works in the varying seasons of her trial is encouraging that God is always working to teach us more of him in new ways we never had to.
Drew
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really do treasure this woman, and the faith and perspective God has given her.

It can be a powerful thing to have the biblical doctrine of suffering, hope, and heaven unfolded by a world class scholar. It is most certainly powerful to have Joni speak and sing you into those truths.

I am grateful.
Fern Adams
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An encouraging account filled with hope, practical advice and a raw honest outlook. Really useful for anyone with a disability, chronic illness or suffering from pain.
Josh
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, reformed
A Place of Healing is Joni's look at suffering in light of God's sovereignty and goodness. If you are unfamiliar with Joni, she is a quadriplegic who has been used by God to minister to many since her diving accident led to her paralysis. As I was struggling with this issue I wanted to hear counsel from someone who had endured suffering. That being said, I trust the Scriptures an infinite times more than I do someone's experience, so I wanted someone who would open the Word of God and deal with ...more
Greg
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the Audiobook version of this book, read by the author. This really helped me to get in touch with what the author was saying in the book, as the voice inflections and tones were all in the intended places and enhanced the message of the book.

I highly recommend this book for everyone who calls themselves a Christian, so that we all may have a fuller understanding of the purposes of God in allowing pain and suffering in people's lives. As well as that, Joni gives us a Godly example
Ebookwormy1
This is a personal exploration of the topic of suffering through the lens of disability and the particular illumination of chronic pain. Written by Tada at a time in her life where she was actually experiencing uncontrolled chronic pain, Tada reflects on God's presence, provision and plan for her life in trying to make sense of her trial.

The introduction and early chapters were somewhat repetitive, but what person in pain is consistently logical and linear? In addition, I found, in general, (ma
Holly Weiss
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Why does God allow pain? Is God concerned with suffering and involved in it? Plato, C.S. Lewis, Rabbi Harold Kushner, Henri Nouwen, the apostle Paul and others have all addressed these age-old questions.

Instead of focusing on how God is involved in the problem of pain, Joni Eareckson Tada chooses instead in her book, A Place of Healing, to examine how God can use pain to draw her closer to Himself and lift her above her human sufferings.

Joni, left a quadriplegic from a diving accident four deca
Susan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from my sister, Sallie, this Christmas and have finally read it! Joni is such a remarkable woman and she has a deep and abiding love for her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. She has lived the last forty plus years as a quadriplegic, following a tragic diving accident as a teeneager. Despite her years of living with a permanent disability that requires incredible assistance in order for her to do most anything, she continues to praise God and to do all that she can to serve and ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Joni and Ken: An Untold Love Story
  • Suffering Is Never for Nothing
  • Walking with God through Pain and Suffering
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • Hope when it hurts: Biblical reflections to help you grasp God's purpose in your suffering
  • Unshakable Hope: Building Our Lives on the Promises of God
  • The Soul of Shame: Retelling the Stories We Believe about Ourselves
  • The Scars That Have Shaped Me: How God Meets Us in Suffering
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • God's Story, Your Story: When His Becomes Yours
  • Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life
  • Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free
  • What Is a Healthy Church?
  • 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You
  • He Chose the Nails: What God Did to Win Your Heart
  • The Pact (Kate Burkholder #11.5)
  • Misconception
  • Angle of Incidence
Previously published as Joni Eareckson

Joni Eareckson Tada is CEO of Joni and Friends, an organization that accelerates Christian outreach in the disability community. Joni and Friends provides practical support and spiritual help to special-needs families worldwide, and equips thousands of churches in developing disability ministry. Joni is the author of numerous bestselling books, including When

News & Interviews

“He has chosen not to heal me, but to hold me. The more intense the pain, the closer His embrace.” 44 likes
“Here at our ministry we refuse to present a picture of “gentle Jesus, meek and mild,” a portrait that tugs at your sentiments or pulls at your heartstrings. That’s because we deal with so many people who suffer, and when you’re hurting hard, you’re neither helped nor inspired by a syrupy picture of the Lord, like those sugary, sentimental images many of us grew up with. You know what I mean? Jesus with His hair parted down the middle, surrounded by cherubic children and bluebirds.

Come on. Admit it: When your heart is being wrung out like a sponge, when you feel like Morton’s salt is being poured into your wounded soul, you don’t want a thin, pale, emotional Jesus who relates only to lambs and birds and babies.

You want a warrior Jesus.

You want a battlefield Jesus. You want his rigorous and robust gospel to command your sensibilities to stand at attention.

To be honest, many of the sentimental hymns and gospel songs of our heritage don’t do much to hone that image. One of the favorite words of hymn writers in days gone by was sweet. It’s a term that down’t have the edge on it that it once did. When you’re in a dark place, when lions surround you, when you need strong help to rescue you from impossibility, you don’t want “sweet.” You don’t want faded pastels and honeyed softness.

You want mighty. You want the strong arm an unshakable grip of God who will not let you go — no matter what.”
25 likes