Start by marking “Lost in Lexicon: An Adventure in Words and Numbers” as Want to Read:
Lost in Lexicon: An Adventure in Words and Numbers

Lost in Lexicon: An Adventure in Words and Numbers

When Aunt Adelaide sends thirteen-year-old cousins Ivan and Daphne on a treasure hunt in the rain, they never expect to stumble into a whole new world an enchanting land where words and numbers run wild. They are surprised again when the first people they meet beg them to find Lexicon's missing children, who have wandered off, bewitched by lights in the sky. Trekking betwe ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Tumblehome Press

To ask other readers questions about Lost in Lexicon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost in Lexicon

Betsy
One Sentence Review: Has some strong elements and would perhaps be more impressive if the villains' villainy were clearer and the entire enterprise didn't feel like a mix of A Wrinkle in Time and The Phantom Tollbooth.
Brady Meier
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lost in Lexicon

It’s the middle of summer and Ivan and Daphne are bored. I guess being stuck at your aunt’s house that doesn’t have any electronics in it with your cousin is pretty boring; until our aunt sends you on a super awesome scavenger hunt in another dimension of course. In this first book of a series of two comes many challenges for Ivan and Daphne such as math problems, a plague of punctuation, a falling mountain, and most of all lost children. Will Ivan and Daphne fulfill the prophec
Tiffany
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. Written with a basis similar to "The Phantom Tollbooth," but with more of a almost science fiction flair. Great read for an slightly advanced 5th grader or 6th grade and up. Intertwines wonderful algebra and sentence structure in a land of wonder and confusion. The characters Ivan and Daphne are superbly real and their intent and journey is honest and enrapturing. Look for it in October 2010!!
Karen
Oct 21, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ellie, mom, jacob
Jacob and Ellie both asked to start reading this book. Added it to our morning time..krb 10/20/16

We haven't been reading this book since Thanksgiving. Not sure if we will come back to it or not..krb 12/30/16

No one has asked for this book and I'm not into it either. Will have to come back to it another time..krb 1/23/17
Anne Miguel
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reminiscent of "The Phantom Tollbooth".
Jack Carl
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ACS Book-finder
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About the book: When thirteen-year-old cousins Ivan and Daphne go on a treasure hunt in the rain one summer day, they never expect to stumble into a whole new world where words and numbers run wild.

After the cousins outwit a plague of punctuation, grateful villagers beg them to find Lexicon’s missing children, who have been enticed away by dancing lights in the sky. Trekking between villages in search of clues, the cousins encounter a talking thesaurus, a fog of forgetting, the Mistress of Metap
Kristi Bernard
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Do your kids long for a good book they can sink their teeth in? ���Lost in Lexicon��� is perfect for readers who love a challenge.

Ivan and Daphne are spending a summer with Aunt Adelaide, a former librarian who casually leaves books lying around in various places to get the kids reading. The kids, however, had planned to have an ongoing monopoly game, hiking, climbing trees and rope swinging. Unfortunately, some rainy days got in the way. Aunt Adelaide sends the kids out to the barn on a treasur
Marsha

If you have an aptitude for the written language and numerical equations, this book is for you. Even if not, it’s a whimsical look into another world, one ruled by peculiar laws and even more peculiar people. Here, being lost in a fog can quite literally cost you your memory and a walking thesaurus can be a cute llama-like creature instead of a tiresome boor. Much like The Phantom Tollbooth and Ella Minnow Pea, this is a romp through a world of wordplay that’s fun and erudite at the same time. I
Library Maven
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Noyce has created a delightful pair of characters who, bored with the lack of entertainment at their Aunt's house on a rainy day, explore a barn and find themselves in a magical world where the balance of language and numbers has become unhinged. Ivan and Daphne are set on a mission to find Lexicon's lost children who have been lured away by dancing lights in the sky. Along the way the survive a plague of punctuation, the fog of forgetting, feuding parts of speech, a panel of poets and illogical ...more
Mary
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
I won this book from First Reads. I'm looking forward to a quick read through now that it's arrived. I intend to give a preliminary rating after this. Then I'll give the book to my nephew and give his feedback later.

After reading a little, I can't judge the story fairly yet(so far, so good) but I do think the illustrations are lovely.

3.5 Stars for me. I'll add more detail later but a short assessment is: good story, beautiful drawings, suitable for tweens(and older) with good math skills, an e
Dennis
"Lost in Lexicon" is a great book! It is about the adventures of two cousins Daphne and Ivan. Aunt Adelaide gave them two clues that lead them to the world of Lexicon. There are four lands: Land of Night, Land of Morning, Land Beneath the Sea and Land of Winter. Daphne and Ivan traveled across these lands and helped each village with something by solving riddles. They helped with the plague of punctuation, fixed the tile machine, saved Sammy, passed the Chasm bridge. My favorite part is when the ...more
Terry
I loved this book … anything that encourages kids to unplug is great! The adventure and characters are fun, with plenty of metaphor and symbolism in place names, character traits, and places. The puzzles are just clever enough to make it fun, but in no way frustrating for someone who hasn’t had the subject in school (e.g., Algebra).

Pros: Fun characters - like a Pet Thesaurus (llama) - and two typical teenagers engage kids in this action-packed adventure.
Sheryl
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but found it a bit confusing. Ivan and Daphne are teenage cousins spending the summer with their great-aunt. She sends the cousins on an adventure after they complain of being bored. This adventure sends them into Lexicon, where they solve word and math puzzles to help rescue lost children.
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Nik's math department chair gave this to him as a good-bye present last year (the chair was leaving the school) so we had it lying around. The concept is clever and I did enjoy it although the end felt a little forced. As in, not the best literature ever but a fun read, particularly if you have a kid who doesn't see how math could ever be of use in real life (albeit, a fictional real life!)
Jack
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book good. In this book there was A LOT of math. The main characters were Ivan and Daphne. They find a magic "number" land and help lots of people. I want to read the next book ice castle.
Sheila Ruth
Jul 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Inspired by The Phantom Tollbooth, but original enough to be different. Fun adventures, but too didactic in places. See my full review
Brenda
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
When I first started this book, I was expecting something along the line of "The Phantom Tollbooth". It was similar but got more complicated, mathematical, and diabolical towards the end. I did enjoy it but think I still prefer "The Phantom Tollbooth".
Mr. E E
I enjoyed the book. It is inthe same realm as phantom tollbooth with the imaginary worlds of language and math. It was a good adventure and I like the way sheincorpated both math and language concepts into the story.
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds, 2014
The plot was clever and moved quickly. I loved that the adventure moved forward through math and English, but it never seemed too forced. My 11-year-old and 7-year-old both loved it as a read-aloud; they grasped what they could and let the rest go on by without any problem.
Katie
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot! I look forward to reading the next title in the series. I'm not sure why Goodreads has two editions that seem disconnected, so I'm putting my rating and comments on both. My 11 yr old liked it too.
Danielle
I thought that it was an interesting concept, but I wish that there was more actual puzzles to figure out. I also though that it was a very easy read for some of the advanced concepts it talked about.
Katie
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sara
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very clever book! Fun to read, even as an adult. Loved that the characters had to use their wits to solve the mysteries, and that lots of different kinds of puzzles were involved.
Judy
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Not as curriculum related as I had hoped, but good. I will probably look into having the author visit next school year.
Robin
Feb 17, 2011 marked it as to-read
I get an email excerpt from "Book Daily..." I read the excerpt from this one and though it would be a fun read for my granddaughter who is 10. The story sounds fun.
JennLynn
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely delightful read and a must for any fan of The Phantom Tollbooth. Two cousins journey to lands of words and numbers and undertake a quest to rescue children missing from the lands.
Bailey
Sep 06, 2011 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: 2011
Fun and clever premise, but I didn't finish it. To me it seemed like a YA book that really needed a YA audience.
Marva
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book for kids. Shhh. Don't tell them they're learning while being entertained.
Mckinley
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, adventure, math
I liked this. Emphasis in fantasy adventure on words and math. (I did think there would be more math...)
Evan's report 1 2 Aug 18, 2014 08:20AM

• The Amazing Adventures of John Smith, Jr. AKA Houdini
  • Search for the Lost Kingdom (Eldohr Adventures, #1)
  • The Devil's Sword
  • PhotoPlay!: Doodle. Design. Draw.
  • Younghee & the Pullocho
  • The Animal
  • Timothy and the Dragon's Gate (Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, #2)
  • Candy Wars: The Tooth Fairies vs The Candy King
  • Pinch Hit
  • Super Schnoz and the Invasion of the Snore Snatchers
  • Staccato (Steven Hawk & Inola Walela, #1)
  • Take Me Home
  • Saint Training
  • Pilgrim of the Sky
  • Negative Image (Constable Molly Smith #4)
  • The Corruptible (Ray Quinn #2)
  • The Forgotten Secret
  • Spellspam (Worldweavers, #2)
Pendred (Penny) Noyce is a doctor, educator, and mother of five. She is the author of twelve books for children and young adults and one text for educators. Her children's novles are brainy and fun, mixing math or science with playful language and adventure. Three of her books have won prestigious Outstanding Science Trade Books awards from the National Science Teachers Association and the Childre ...more