Start by marking “Pete's a Pizza” as Want to Read:
Pete's a Pizza

Pete's a Pizza

Pete's father starts kneading the dough. Next, some oil is generously applied. (It's really water.) And then some tomatoes. (They're really checkers.) When the dough gets tickled, it laughs like crazy.
Published September 5th 1998 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Pete's a Pizza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pete's a Pizza

Calista
This beginning book is quite funny. It has few words and is a quick read. Pete has to stay home since it’s raining and he gets very sad. So his father decides to make Pete into a pizza to cheer him up. He rolls the dough, and prepares the dough and cooks the pizza with all the toppings on him. It’s all pretend, but the kid loves it and he isn’t so sad. It’s really funny to see on the page.

Of course, this got in my nephews head so the next day he had to be made into a pizza by his dad
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the zombies get this recipe!
Rosa Jimenez-Hernandez
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: silly parents, children, and families.
This book is just lovely. I read it while waiting at an elementary school to do some classroom observations for my teaching degree. It was the kind of school that had sofas in the front office and book shelves full of books for children to read anytime. I picked up the book, read it in a couple of minutes and couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the day. It is such a sweet-natured story about the kind of family everyone wants. Best of all, it reminds me of my mom. It has the silliness, creativi ...more
Sandy
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Pete is crabby because it's raining outside, so his dad decides to make him into a pizza. So funny. Ava listens to this story with that cautious smile/giggle, as if trying to determine how serious these parents are about making their child into dinner.

But then, we do like to make Penelope Burritos, so she has some exposure to good ole' playtime family cannibalism.
Luisa Knight
This is hilarious! And parents, I warn you now, make a little time for the reading of this book and what your kids will want to do after! It will be time well spent.

Watch my nephew's cute 30-second review!

Ages 3+

Cleanliness: The little boy is in a bad mood on the first page because it's raining and he can't play outside. His bad mood is soon remedied. *Note: You can easily swap out "bad mood" and put in "sad mood" for any parents wishing to avoid any confusion about being rewarded
Candice
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book because it shows how just a bit of imagination and lots of love can cheer up a child who's having a bad day. Pete is disappointed that it's raining when he wants to play with the guys. His father decides to cheer Pete up by making Pete into a pizza. He sets Pete down on the kitchen table and starts kneading the dough. Other imaginative ingredients are added, and soon pizza Pete is ready for the oven. It's a fun book with amusing illustrations that just might help to brighten som ...more
Mary
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pete is having the rainy day blahs and his father decides to make him a pizza. The fun wordplay is a great set-up for a sure-fire cure for a bad mood. An endearing picture book with a nice reminder that rainy days can be fun.
elissa
Not a typical Steig book. Most of his books are whimsical, and this one definitely is, too, but in a different way than most of his stories.
Ronyell
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I looked at the title of this book, I was thinking about the little song that plays on the “Little Caesar’s” pizza commercials, “Pizza! Pizza!” Anyway, “Pete’s a Pizza” is a children’s book by popular children’s author William Steig and it is about how Pete was miserable on a rainy day, so to help make Pete feel better, his parents decided to play a game with Pete where they pretend that Pete is a pizza! “Pete’s a Pizza” is a truly cute book that children will easily love for many years! ...more
Amy Forrester
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pete’s in a horrible mood. He was supposed to go outside to play ball with his friends, but then it rained. Pete’s father notices his sons sulking and decides the best way to cheer him up will be to make him into a pizza. So he puts Pete on the table and begins to knead the dough. He stretches it and tosses it in the air. He adds some oil (it’s really water) and flour (it’s really talcum powder) and then begins adding toppings to the pizza. By the time Pete’s father takes the pizza out of the ov ...more
jacky
Dec 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Part of the Treasury of Picture books I own. I really thought this story was cute. I thought it would be a fun book to act out with a child and thought it was cute how the father cheered up his son.

When Natalie got to be about 15 months old, this became a favorite at bed time for a while. Mike and I got in a routine where I read the story, and he said the parts in parenthesis. Natalie eventually knew this and would remind Daddy to do his part if he wasn't paying attention. This was a
Sara Jones
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This just totally reminded me of that feeling of being a p---ed off little kid and how the adults would suddenly get all goofy on you and then it was just impossible not to revel in your happiness. Man... my family is really cool.
Laura Harrison
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pete's a Pizza is one of my favorite Steig books. It is absolutely joyous and fun. The day is rainy and Pete is bummed and bored. So his parent's pretend that they are making a pizza-out of him! It is a wonderful family/bonding story. A strong five stars!
Randall
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I love the simplicity and brevity of this story. It’s so sweet, a very charming, lovely tale. I love way it evoked a sense of nostalgia, the warmth of a different time.
Melissa
May 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Hank loves this book soooo...

If you haven't made your kid into a pizza, you should try, they will like it and you will too.

;)
May 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This goes ridiculously over the heads of any kid in the intended age group. Illustrations are odd, text is even weirder, and it's not even funny (though it's meant to be). Worst depression/mood picture book EVER.
Jeremy
Fun. Pete's a = Pizza.
Dewey
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I mean, it's called Pete's a Pizza, so I don't know what I expected...but I wasn't a fan. Something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.
Allie
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I am pumped to read this at my super rambunctious preschool storytime. Gonna have all the kids be pizzas while the caregivers top them off.
Liz
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, picture-books
Why haven't I used this in storytime before? It was a huge hit with everyone. Highly recommend!
James
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked when the dad sprinkled paper for the cheese on Pete
Loyal
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skylars-shelf
A cute book about the fun times Pete has with his father when the rain keeps him indoors.
Allison
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pete’s A Pizza by William Steig is a very fun read-aloud e-book about a boy who’s father makes him into a pizza because he is upset that he is stuck inside on a rainy day. The e-book looks just like the paperback version of the book, except that it is on a screen. The pages turn when readers click on the arrows in the bottom right-hand corner, as if they were actually turning the pages of a real book. There is happy, Italian music playing along with each page as a voice reads the story out loud. ...more
Kendra
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pete’s a Pizza is an interactive e-book hosted by onemorestory.com. In the story, a little boy named Pete is having a bad day, as weather cancels his plans. In an attempt to cheer his son up, Pete’s father decides to play with Pete by turning him into a pizza. He even includes cheese, tomatoes and pepperoni. Eventually, his mom joins in and the whole family has fun together.

The book’s interactive features greatly enhance the story plot, especially for young readers. The book starts off with a n
Nicole Schott
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Pete’s Pizza is the story of a young boy named Pete. In the beginning of the story, Pete is obviously very miserable. His father thinks it would be a good idea to make Pete into a pizza.
He begins preparing Pete in the way that you would prepare a pizza. Kneading him like dough, stretching him, applying oil and flour. He gives him some toppings. After Pete is all “cooked” and ready for the parents to eat, Pete runs away. He is chased and caught by his dad and they laugh as Pete goes out to find
Kali
May 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Meg McGregor
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a funny story! After I read it, I found myself chuckling to myself, all day!

I don't think, I will ever look at pizza, the same way again!

And that is a good thing!

I love pizza, and now when I think about getting a pizza for dinner, I see little Pete, being rolled and turned into a pizza!

I never thought about using this parenting technique to help crabby children get happy!

Now, I think I will have to try it!

Pizza, anyone?
Brooke
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about a boy who is sad when he can't play outside with his friends (it is raining). His parents pretend to turn him into a pizza to cheer him up. This book would work well in a pizza storytime for pre-k.
Ms. B
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1990s, picture, humor, 2000s, 2010s
One of my two favorite books by William Steig (the other is Sylvester and the Magic Pebble). This one never grows old, a fun read aloud about the power of imagination. One day when Pete can't go out to play because it raining; his Dad entertains him by turning him into a pizza!
Jill
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one my kids loved when they were little. It's an oldie, but goodie and depicts parents playing with their kid way before the early literacy skills were even a thing.

• Hi, Pizza Man!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza
  • Fall Is Not Easy
  • Wild Boars Cook
  • Mouse Mess
  • Eloise Wilkin Stories
  • Mr. Cookie Baker
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Put It On the List!
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • Whopper Cake
  • Jazz Baby
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. Wh