Start by marking “Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)” as Want to Read:
Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)

Dead North (Jessie Arnold & Alex Jensen #8)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  965 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
With her cabin a pile of ashes and her life in pieces, champion Alaskan “musher” Jessie Arnold has gratefully accepted a friend’s proposal that she drive his motor home up from Idaho, along the Alaska Highway—a breathtaking, two thousand-mile-long route winding past hot springs, glaciers, and ice-blue lakes.

But the idyllic trip takes a dark turn when a teenage hitchhiker b
Published April 30th 2002 by Avon Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dead North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead North

Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonWhite Fang by Jack LondonThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Ice and Snow
507 books — 146 voters
Echoes from the Hills of Idaho by Ruth   ButlerCoeur d'Alene Waters by Ned HayesKiller Weekend by Ridley PearsonFaraway Places by Tom SpanbauerBlue Heaven by C.J. Box
Books Set in Idaho
100 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela Mclaren
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Sue Henry takes her main character, Alaskan 'musher' on the road with only one of her dogs. While waiting to begin rebuilding her log cabin that was burned to the ground, Jessie Arnold agrees to drive a friend's motor home up from Idaho to Alaska. Jessie sees it as an opportunity for a relaxing adventure but true to all mystery books -- this adventure turns potential deadly.

Jessie makes a new friend on the trip, and they meet a frightened teenager who is fleeing to Alaska. The two women can't se
Joanne
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd I have read from the Jessie Arnold series. Enjoyable and more like a thriller than a cozy mystery. Features Jessie and her sled dog Tank and Maxie and her dachshund Stretch that she meets while traveling in an RV. Add in a teen on the run and friendly trucker and you have a diverse group of characters. Starts in the lower 48 states and travels through Canada and ends in Alaska. Henry’s writing style is very descriptive and you can picture the scenery along the way; just like you ...more
Amanda
A nice and easy read, but a bit disappointing as this installment doesn't take place in Alaska which is pretty much why I considered this series. Definitely not a cozy mystery but an enjoyable one, it kept me reading. Unfortunately Jessie Arnold is no Kate Shugak and Sue Henry is definitely not as good as Dana Stabenow and after reading her series everything (Alaskan mystery) will be compared to that standard.
Pamela Juliano-marek
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the 8th book of Sue Henry's I've read. Keeps me looking forward to another book. I'ven read Sue's other books with Maxine & her dog Stretch. It really made the book fun & interesting that both Jessie & Maxine met up. Love that there is just enough mystery in the book to keep you wanting to turn another page & really look forward to picking the book up again. But not a gruesome kind of mystery that you can't read before going to bed at night. Loved it!
Richard Guion
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it
The mystery is pretty light fare, about a teenage boy, Patrick, who goes on the run after being falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit. Jesse Arnold, an Iditarod dog sled racer, does a favor for a friend by flying down to Coeur d'Alene to pick up a Winnebago motor home and drive it back to Wasilla. What I really loved about this book was the description of Jesse's drive from Canada to Alaska along the famous Alaskan Highway. I've never been on that road this book makes me want to go. The na ...more
Ann
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Jessie Arnold's home in Alaska has been destroyed by an arsonist. The weather isn't good enough yet to pour the basement for her new home so she agrees to fly to Idaho to drive his newly purchased motor home back to Alaska. She meets up with Maxie, a woman who has traveled by camper for the three years since her husband's death. They, in turn, meet up with a young man who is hitchhiking to Alaska from Wyoming. The young man has something to hide and when a young man is murdered in the campground ...more
Jackie
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
My daughter pulled this book off the shelf at the library, and said, "This is a good one for you mommy!" Thinking yea right I appesed her by reading the back cover. It actually sounded good, so I brought it home.

Once I started reading it I could not put it down. The way the author describes the road trip to Alaska was so beautiful and vivid. I really wanted to travel there, in a motor home and see it myself.

The story itself was good as well. Very suspenseful. I also really enjoyed the character
Elaine
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great descriptions of the Alaskan Highway. Great twist when Sue Henry's other heroine, Maxine and her dog Stretch ) meet up with Jesse Arnold and her husky, Tank to help a runaway they encounter while staying in a
RV park on their way home to Parmer and Homer, Alaska. Felt like got a great sense of what the Alaskan
highway is all about- I'm ready for a trip . Might even be fun to rent a Winnebago for a couple of weeks.
No worries, just the highway and spectacular scenery and unknown adventures.
Sandy
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jesse Arnold is asked by a friend to drive his motor home back from the US lower 48 to Alaska and the trip becomes fraught with danger, including murder. Jesse is unsure if she will make it back home safely and even though she meets a couple of new friends along the way is turns into a dangerous drive.
Ann
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mystery novel about a woman and her champion sled dog traveling alone in a RV on the Alaska Highway. As murders, strangers and dark secrets are intangled in her travels, you are kept on the edge of your seat, but at the same time gives the reader a beautiful armchair travel log.
I finished the book, wanting to travel along the Alaska Highway.
Dianna
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Ah, I love Sue Henry's Alaska Mysteries! I could only give this one 4 stars, because Alex isn't in it aside from a brief hint. It's been a few months since I read them all, (somehow I missed this one before) and it's made me want to again :D. Jessie is amazing, and I totally love Maxie! As usual, Tank is the epitome of dogs!
Kathleen Graler
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We traveled the Alaska Highway about a year after I read this book. This was both an inspiration and my guidebook for the trip. What fun to recognize places and seek out others mentioned in the book.
Teri
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Mystery Book Group choice. Good description of driving AlCan highway; some loose ends, especially regarding Butch Stinger, but these may be resolved in later titles in the series.
Cindy
May 31, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a lanky book, fun to listen to whilst driving, and I thought often of my mother who seems independent and spunky like Maxine.
Jake
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Im only 12 but i thought this book was a good adventure/mystery story.
Nicole
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alaska-mystery
Liked the scenery and the switch to the new characters too.
Robert Van Tuyl
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
When is a road trip a mystery? When several people are heading to Alaska with a madman searching for one of them. Lots of sights and adventure on this trip.
Elsie
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I haven't read Sue Henry for years, but may have to go back and try to read some from the past, because I really did enjoy reading this one
Brenda Smith
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, couldn't put it down!
Jo Anne
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I pretty much have read this entire series :)
Joan
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Got half way through and couldn't put it down!!!!
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
In the last novel, Jessie's house was destroyed. It is being rebuilt when a friend offers her the proposition of a road trip. He has bought an RV in Idaho and needs it driven to Alaska. Jessie thinks this sounds like a fun vacation and the chance to take a leisurely drive while stopping whenever it strikes her. The views are beautiful and she meets a nice lady travelling the same direction as well as a kindly truck driver. She also meets a runaway teenage boy who brings unwanted excitement to th ...more
Jeanne
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A good read! Jesse Arnold, champion musher, finds herself in limbo as her home has burned down and the frost has not got out of the ground, so she can't start her rebuild. A friend, asks her is she would go to Idaho and drive his new motor home up to Alaska. She believes this would be a leisurely scenic drive along the Alaska Highway. Wrong, although it certainly does have it's leisurely moments, there's some dangerous situations that have led to almost death and death. Enjoyed the read.
Hannah
May 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Short-stay tourists
Kathy Cottrell
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another suspense filled Jessie Arnold story with Maxie and Stretch thrown in for good measure. I was going to make it last for a few days reading slowly. That did not happen. I put it down the first day to get some sleep then picked it up and finished it the next morning. I could not put it down. The details oh the road traveled and scenery was such that I want to make that trip myself.

Another suspense filled Jessie Arnold novel with the added pleasure of Maxie and Stretch. The details of the ro
George
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Plenty of action along the road to Alaska, this mystery is a fun, light read. Alaskan musher, Jessie Arnold takes a short job driving a new Winnebago from Coeur d' Alene to Alaska and discovers adventures along the way. If you've ever driven the route, you'll identify with parts of the story; a body found floating in Laird Hot Springs, for example. In addition to the bad guys, there's Maxie and Stretch--a 60 something and her dachshund that make up the cast. Where's book #9?
Melissa
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, fiction, mystery
I simply enjoyed reading this one - the "mystery" wasn't much and the ended left more loose ends than resolutions, but I LOVED reading about Jessie and Maxie cruising up the Alaska Highway in their RVs and wishing I was there too...
Linda
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sue Henry outdid herself this time! I loved this book! Jesse Arnold travels the Alaska Highway with lots of adventure along the way. It was great reading about places I've been to along the Alaska Highway and I learned about places I haven't been to. Great read! I'm ready to drive it again!
Kristal Cooper
For a murder mystery, this was surprisingly low-key. Fun to vicariously travel the length of the Great Alaska Highway, though.
Jewett
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the best in the series so far. Jessie travels through Canada and Alaska, not behind a dog team but in a motor home. This is both a chase, a mystery and a travelog.
  • A Grave Denied (Kate Shugak, #13)
  • Zero at the Bone
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • The Moche Warrior (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #3)
  • Borderline (Anna Pigeon, #15)
  • Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #2)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches ...more
More about Sue Henry

Jessie Arnold & Alex Jensen (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
  • Death Takes Passage (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #4)
  • Deadfall (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #5)
  • Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6)
  • Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #7)
  • Cold Company (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #9)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye