Start by marking “Secrets of Retail” as Want to Read:
Secrets of Retail

Secrets of Retail

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  112 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Wade Williams is a prick. This wasn't always the case, but years in the soul-shattering world of retail have made Wade a bitter, cynical young man. Impeded by a lack of direction and nearly infinite levels apathy, Wade idles through his days avoiding waves of annoying customers, his obtrusive boss and any kind of work in general. When a management opportunity makes itself ...more
Published April 28th 2010 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Retail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Retail

Joanne
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the story of Wade Williams, a Customer Service Sales Representative (salesman) in a big electronics retail store. As the book's jacket says, Wade is, quite frankly an unlikeable prick. So why do we want to know him? Well, it's because we can all relate, even if only secretly. Wade actually expresses a lot of the things each of us thinks, and wants to say, but don't dare. And because he is smart, witty, and quick. The author has a gift for dialogue, and uses it well to draw the reader in ...more
Ariel Hudnall
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Secrets of Retail" was a story I picked up on my Kindle a long while ago, but just finally got around to reading in between one mammoth text and another.

The story is about a young man named Wade who works in an electronics store. As a supervisor in a poorly managed branch, Wade does what he can to make the days go by quickly. Most of the time this means practicing his one-liners with women and having sex whenever the uniform is off.

I used to work in retail, and his descriptions of the way emplo
boekverslaafde
Unlike the name says, this book does not have real, secrets of retail. Only the pessimistic, narcissistic thoughts on retail. The book is about Wade, who works at a big electronics store, something like Best Buy. The majority of the book is about Wade's sexual conquests and getting drunk. Every now and then he goes to work. The sexual conquests weren't even interesting to read. "We had sex for hours"...REALLY?? Sex for HOURS and that's all you've got to say about it? Fine. I didn't need a blow b ...more
Terry Collins
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun read, with an author that not only knows retail of the "big box" variety (Think Circuit City or Best Buy), but also has a good ear for dialogue. However, one grows weary of every woman that crosses our protagonist's path throwing herself at him for sexual favors. From lowly gas station clerks to customers to Hooters girls to new hires for the store to a thinly disguised celebrity female fantasy (Britney Spears, perhaps?) - all of them want to jump Wade's bones, and it becomes tiring (makin ...more
Jessica Samuels
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

This book perfectly described what it was like to work retail even down to the customer and management interactions. It was a good read especially for people who have worked retail. I loved it even if the author was a dick since he said all the things your not supposed to say.
Dorota Jakubowski
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
One star for getting the bitterness of working retail right. Otherwise, the writing wasn't impressive and the main character disgusted me to the point where I had to stop reading before my eyeballs exploded.
Rich Meyer
Not a bad look at the retail experience, though there was far too much emphasis on the main character's sexual conquests, which seemed very out of place and just made him much less sympathetic. Readable, but if you've never worked retail you are probably going to be kind of bored.
Kate
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: freeebooks
The secret of retail is that most of its employees are small-minded, uneducated and self absorbed. Wade, the main character in this book, is a perfect example of that. I wasn't that enthralled with the story right up until the end, when the author really pulled it together.
Donna
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
It caught my attention since I work retail. It wasn't bad, but not my favorite. It was kind of difficult to relate to Wade sometimes, but overall, I think it was easy to relate to his overall retail experience.
Christine Lujan-Hodges
Real secrets...

You'll agree with my 5 star review if you've ever wondered what makes people tick.
Humor, sincerity, diversity and a great ending are cigs th move this book.
Read it....but only if you enjoy fun reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »