Start by marking “Mystery of the Ivory Charm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #13)” as Want to Read:
Mystery of the Ivory Charm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #13)

Mystery of the Ivory Charm (Nancy Drew #13)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  6,306 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
Nancy determines whether an exquisite ivory elephant charm really protects its wearer from harm during her investigation of a circus performer who may be involved in a mysterious illegal scheme. The girl detective’s assignment becomes complicated when the elephant trainer’s young assistant seeks refuge at the Drew home from his cruel foster father. While following clues to ...more
Hardcover, Revised text, 179 pages
Published 1974 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery of the Ivory Charm, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jerry
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Standard fare for this series...which wasn't a bad thing.
Mike (Makayla )
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
"...they caught enough to comprehend that Mrs Allison was speaking of reincarnation .
"She's spooky ,"Bess commented "
"Reincarnation means after you die you'll be reborn as another person or animal doesn't it ?"
"I'll probably be a goat ."George laughed .

Typical George 😂😂💕
Josiah
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This is one of the more confusing Nancy Drew books. I liked it but it was very difficult to understand what was going on (especially with Mrs. Allison) I would still recommend this book to anyone who likes Nancy Drew.
Ashley
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phyllis
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
One of those Nancy Drew Mystery Stories with a really bizarre, surreal setting. This time it's a mysterious abandoned house with no floors tricked out with a bunch of trapeze equipment and secret passages. The mystery this time involves a little boy from India kidnapped and forced to join the circus, and it's pretty racist in a "it was 1936 and they didn't know any better but it's still gross and disappointing" way, which drags down the story a lot. I don't know how I would deal with kids who wa ...more
Ruthie Jones
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read all the Nancy Drew books (and the Hardy Boys) when I was a child, but I will admit that I have read them all again as an adult (a few years ago). The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Drew returns for another mystery that even borders on the supernatural.
Sheila
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Another classic Nancy Drew, which my daughter loves hearing (I read these aloud to her) and which I read because my daughter loves hearing them. Follows the basic plot of almost all Nancy Drew stories, with the usual kidnappings and rescues (why do people always get kidnapped in these stories!), with the main plot circling around a mysterious boy from India and a "magical" ivory charm.
Aubrey Joy
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall I thought this was a pretty average Nancy Drew mystery. It didn’t really go anywhere, so I found myself to be kind of bored throughout it...
Read more here!
Aubrey Joy
Emily V
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
It wasn’t terrible but it wasn’t great. It was a little confusing and all together just not the best book. I love Nancy Drew and I think I would recommend this book but there are better Nancy Drew’s to start with.
Judy
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This mystery gave an interesting but brief introduction to India life and religion. A fast paced, light read breather book, I can't help but be excited in the conclusion.. the same way I felt when I first picked the book up in the 4th grade.
thewestchestarian
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
"Nancy Goes Indian" Does it bother anyone that initially Nancy kidnaps Rishi? Yes, Rai later reveals himself to be the bad guy and ultimately taking Rishi from the circus leads to the discovery of the stolen jewels of the deposed maharajah and the return of the son to the true father but after that initial trip to the circus Nancy and her potentially criminal gang don't know all of this. Instead they keep Rishi hidden in the house (can't risk Rai finding him) and force him to learn English from ...more
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Mystery of the Ivory Charm is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 13th book in the Nancy Drew series.

While discovering the secret of an ivory elephant charm, Nancy and her friends work to reunite a boy from India with his true father.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of a certain age (ahem), my love f
Ambika ɀסּϛסּ
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
What a stupid book! Yes I understand that books cant be stupid but everything about this story was stupid. I was eager to read it because of the Indian angle but everything about it made no sense. Its one thing to bring orphan girls to stay at your home after getting to know them a bit but she just let Rishi stay,the very same day that she met him!And Mr Drew just picking up the phone and calling someone and asking for clothes which they get in an hours time delivered by the kind soul. Its menta ...more
C.G.
Jan 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading the revised reprint of this book as a kid, but I just finished the original, 1936 version, and it's nothing like what I remember. As far as the original versions of the Nancy Drew books go, this has to be one of the worst... and most painful. As much as I love the originals of this series, I would recommend skipping "The Mystery of the Ivory Charm."
Alisa
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting read.
Brianna D
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this book “The Mystery of the Ivory Charm” from the Nancy Drew series and authored by Carolyn Keene, the story is about Nancy Drew
and her cousins, George and Bess, and her discovery of a mean man and his son, who was very sweet. His son was named Rishi and him, Nancy, Bess, and George met at a animal show trying to figure out a case going on there. Of course they had little Tommy, a neighbor, come with them. How I am affected by this story is that it always leaves me with suspicion. It alway
Sahifa
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the 13th book in the Nancy Drew original series which like other earliar books had no silly narratives and hence had the potential to fully satisfy me. The plot was simple, plain sailing with the right amount of adventure and thrill.
I had been waiting to read this book for years since its based in India.
The Nancy Drew original series are often based in different countries or atleast consists of diverse characters.
This book talked about my country so I badly wanted to read it.
The plotline
Joanna
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was super thrilled that Nancy had a mystery that involved India, and I enjoyed it immensely. However, there were some problems with stereotypical and two-dimensional characterizations, cultural appropriation, and a white savior complex, which is why it gets 4 stars instead of 5. I also cringe whenever I read about circuses because of their history of animal abuse and exploitation of marginalized people.
Lauren Alise Schultz
The thing that I love most about this particular Nancy Drew novel is that Nancy is invited to the White House to have tea with the First Lady - who at the time of the novel's original publication would have been Eleanor Roosevelt. The very idea of Nancy Drew and Eleanor Roosevelt having tea together fills me with delight! <3
Michaela
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just read this book . I started it last night and I finished it mid evening today . Carolyn Keene is such an avid writer . I like the Nancy Drew books so much . This book was so good . I recommend this book and all others written in this series .
Rachel Piper
The Drews adopt a child and put him to work around the house instead of sending him to school. Hannah is racist. Ned is whipped. Nancy effortlessly charms a sorority and meets the first lady! And the bad guys receive speedy trials and are sentenced to long terms on an island prison.
Yoshua David
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Things must have been different when these were written, the happenings just don’t seem plausible sometimes.

Still a good read, this series makes for quick reads in between longer books.
Andrea Turner
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This Nancy Drew story is interesting enough, but is definitely one of the more far-fetched plots.
Lauren
Enjoyable book for young girls.
IrishFan
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was just ok. I can mark it off as read.
Holly Newton
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful happy ending!
Whitney
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nancy-drew
It'll be fine for most folks to skip this one, unless you enjoy reading about child labor, broken English, and negative stereotypes about India.
Kat
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun!!!!

This book is somewhat scary but once u read the end of it, u will be fine.
Very very good!!!!!!!
Paige intheBooks
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
  • The Hidden Harbor Mystery (Hardy Boys, #14)
  • Trixie Belden and the Hudson River Mystery (Trixie Belden, #28)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99