Start by marking “Imperial America: Reflections on the United States of Amnesia” as Want to Read:
Imperial America: Reflections on the United States of Amnesia

Imperial America: Reflections on the United States of Amnesia

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  433 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Gore Vidal has been described as the last ‘noble defender" of the American republic. In Imperial America, Vidal steals the thunder of a right wing America—those who have camouflaged their extremist rhetoric in the Old Glory and the Red, White, and Blue—by demonstrating that those whose protest arbitrary and secret government, those who defend the bill of rights, those who ...more
Published August 17th 2005 by Nation Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Imperial America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imperial America

Jason
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Our problems seem new because, as a nation of people, we are disconnected from our history. Much of this writing is from the late 80's and still apply today. We live in such a vacuum called reality TV. wake up.
columbialion
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
Brilliant indictment of the lack of political awareness of the American citizenry in electing government, and it's consequences.
Erik
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-nonfiction
***4.5 stars***

If G. V. had written our high school U.S. History textbooks (one can dream), we would have learned our history a hell of a lot better--and actually enjoyed the learning--(and not necessarily in that order).
pan ellington
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
can't call vidal anything but privileged. but still - the man was woke as fuck. his language and wit is a delight. would have loved to hear what he would have had to say about the state of things, these days...
Piker7977
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Imperial America is a decent collection of essays by the talented and infamous Gore Vidal. Vidal presents an array of short writings that illustrate his skepticism of the security state and the puppets who run the show. Many of the arguments and points made are valid while some need to be taken with a salad bowl full of salt. Hardly anything is cited and the reader gets the impression that much editing has transpired regarding the sources and quotes. However, this is not a detriment to the work ...more
Bill Lawrence
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Enjoyable and interesting read, but a bit repetitive, understandably so as Vidal revisits the same themes over years of writing in various political journals and magazines. Gore Vidal remains an entertaining and erudite writer, especially in the field of American politics and the failure of the system as the constitution evolves from the 'framers', to what he believes will be the eventual fall of the American Empire. I find it difficult to argue against him, other than to remain sceptical as to ...more
Timothy Fitzgerald
Dec 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found a lot of the Nixon and Reagan era articles to be very enlightening. I think Vidal exposes some intrinsic flaws within our government. I do think, though, that he may be a little heavy on the conspiracy theories. I think he may give a little too much credit to the powers that be in terms of their ability to put policies into play that influence complex end games years in advance.
Indi Martin
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Not my Dad!
Shelves: read-was-ok
If you like Michael Moore, you may like Gore Vidal - except he's considerably more extreme. I agree with many of his more salient points; at times he loses even me, and I doubt there are many liberals more liberal than I am out there. Still, pretty much everything he says about W feels spot-on to me.
Kevin
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All but about 40 pages here are reprinted from the big Collected Essays volume (and not to carefully proofread here), but I can't think about Obama's drones without wishing Vidal was still around to excoriate him in print. It's good to be reminded about what changes and doesn't in American politics, but this selection is a bit repetitious to be read straight through.
Will
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, nonfiction
I wish I could have met Gore when he was alive and picked his brain on everything.

It's amazing how various situations, ways our country was leaning, political corruption, and other essays by him from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s are all still relevant and very much still the case today.
Lisa
Sep 07, 2010 rated it liked it
I heart Gore Vidal. Fiction, non-fiction, whatever. Fabulous, opinionated, crazy, commie-pinko, who's now an octagenarian and still trying to whip people into a frenzy to have a second Constitutional Convention. Good times.
Tomas
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reading this book, and probably any book of political essays by Vidal, is to remove the veil between political fantasy and political reality.
Tamara Temple
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political, philosophy
I like the way Vidal writes, but I always end up starting to suspect my beliefs because I agree with him so much.
Dennis
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Insightful essays on the current condition of America by the brilliant Gore Vidal..
Joseph
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
He really doesn't write bad books
Mike
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Gore Vidal true to himself writes this short analysts of the American scene. I just wonder what he would have said of the current political small upheaval.
Phil
  • American Power and the New Mandarins: Historical and Political Essays
  • The Bomb
  • Crashing the Party: Taking on the Corporate Government in an Age of Surrender
  • Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers
  • Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized by People Who Think You're Stupid
  • Drone Warfare: Killing By Remote Control
  • Island of Shame: The Secret History of the U.S. Military Base on Diego Garcia
  • Websters' First New Intergalactic Wickedary of the English Language
  • The Punishment of Gaza
  • The New Imperialism
  • The Hidden Spirituality of Men: Ten Metaphors to Awaken the Sacred Masculine
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • The Exception to the Rulers: Exposing Oily Politicians, War Profiteers, and the Media That Love Them
  • Death to the Dictator! : A Young Man Casts a Vote in Iran's 2009 Election and Pays a Devastating Price
  • The Story of Pain: From Prayer to Painkillers
  • The Obama Syndrome: Surrender at Home, War Abroad
  • Gag Rule: On the Suppression of Dissent and the Stifling of Democracy
Eugene Luther Gore Vidal was an American writer known for his essays, novels, screenplays, and Broadway plays. He was also known for his patrician manner, Transatlantic accent, and witty aphorisms. Vidal came from a distinguished political lineage; his grandfather was the senator Thomas Gore, and he later became a relation (through marriage) to Jacqueline Kennedy.

Vidal ran for political office twi
More about Gore Vidal...

• At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe
    $9.99 $1.99
    $11.99 $1.99
“we no longer live in a nation, but in a Homeland.” 3 likes
“say very mildly, we have only one political party in the U.S., the Property Party, with two right wings, Republican and Democrat.” 1 likes