Start by marking “Descending” as Want to Read:
Descending

Descending

Emily is a lonely, disillusioned, teaching assistant at a college of Further Education. Jamie is a neglected, unpredictable student. Trapped together in a falling lift, wherever will this lead? Told from Emily's point of view, this story explores the ambiguity of relationships between staff and students, and reflects on who is actually in control.
Nook, 0 pages
Published June 5th 2010 by Smashwords, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Descending, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Descending

Start your review of Descending
Rebecca
Sep 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I actually read this as a double edition of both books in one and hadn't realised this was a standalone book on it's own. Surely this is more of a short story than a full on read, it was so short, with a lot of rambling about the poor teaching assistant who, because she has daddy issues, felt it was OK to sleep with one of her students. Uh-huh. Given this book ended on a low, and if you didn't have Surfacing to read straight after, you'd think it was probably just a bit depressing. Glad i could ...more
Grace Krispy
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Emily works two part-time jobs to make ends meet in her lonely life. She has just two friends, and her one love relationship has long since ended. She's frustrated with where her life is headed, and things just don't seem to be getting any better. One fateful afternoon, she finds herself trapped in a rapidly descending elevator with one of her students. The brush with death, the exciting and rogue personality of this student, and Emily's own mixed-up feelings of frustration and loneliness make f ...more
Marcie
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is a bit outside my usual reading zone. The subject interested me quite a bit. I've seen on the news teachers who have been arrested for having an affair with their students. I often wondered to myself why in the world would they do something like that? Catherine Chisnall tackles this question with Descending. The story is told from Emily's point of view. Emily is a thrity-something teaching assistant who is unsatisfied and bored with her life. Emily feels "invisible and anonymous". Af ...more
Jessica Degarmo
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Descending is a fantastic glimpse into the world of a woman falling apart. Emily is depressed, stuck in a job she no longer loves and lonely. One day in an elevator, everything changes, and Emily's tenuous grip on her sanity is further shaken.
Emily and Jamie are kindred spirits in that they are both mixed-up. Their relationship is portrayed well. The author inserts some surprisingly contemporary touches in the storyline and keeps us invested in the characters. The tension that Emily's and Jamie'
Stuart Aken
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Rightly or wrongly, what matters to me most in fiction, apart from the necessary quality of the writing, is whether I care about the characters or not. In Descending, Catherine Chisnall has created a narrator who is so believable that the novel reads like a memoir. The other characters are drawn with equal skill and their variety brings wide interest to the book.
At times, I felt that the writing was a little too much like that experienced in a report. And that quality did slightly detract from
K.J. Kron
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Check out this interview with the author: http://stpeterkilledgod.blogspot.com/...
The narrator pulled me in with her insecurity. She makes a series of bad decisions and I just could help reading on to see what would come next. It's what fiction should be all about - observing someone make choices you'd never make and then see what they have to live through. I'm actually proud that she never denies what happened with Jamie - although that might be a sign that she never got it. A cautionary tale -
Tim Roux
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Catherine Chisnall's 'Descending' is one of those books which it is easier simply to read than to read reviews about.

It is about a low key love affair, an aberration, a few days in a life which might change everything or nothing.

It is about the role of a support teacher and how she fits into a male dominated classroom. It is about how pupils play games with teachers and about how the management of any institution plays those same games but in a more self-righteous and pompous way.

This is the tal
Lindy Dale
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading Descending. The conversational tone made it very easy to read. Having seen some of the reviews for the story I must say I felt more sorry for the way Emily was finally treated than for Jamie. There seemed to be little consequence for his part in the relationship.
This book is free at the moment on Smashwords so download it and have a read. It's very thought provoking and rather sad.
L. Carrington
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
More great reading from Night Publishing - grab your copy ASAP before they're gone!
Melanie Schweiger
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I wasn't thrilled with the subject matter of this book. A teacher's assistant get "involved" with one of her students and her life spirals out of control. What did she think would happen?
Katie Leversuch
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, review-book
Not very good to be honest. It is short but I thought the writing was too simplistic and didn't flow well. I didn't like the swearing and the story line was just average.
Ruth Francisco