Start by marking “Fractured: Happily Never After? 3 Tales” as Want to Read:
Fractured: Happily Never After? 3 Tales

Fractured: Happily Never After? 3 Tales

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Everyone knows a fairytale or two. They’re the kind of stories that seem to stick with you. Maybe it’s the magic. Maybe it’s the handsome prince. Or maybe they’re just the absolute perfect place to lose yourself for a little while.

But what would happen if Snow White were around today? Would Cinderella still need a fairy godmother? And would the Little Mermaid show up on Yo
Published November 1st 2010 by McKellar & Martin Publishing Group, Ltd. (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fractured, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fractured

Tahleen
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fairy tales have been told and written down for centuries. Throughout the years, they've not only been told, but retold, and many have been completely revisioned. Fractured gives us incarnations of Snow White, Cinderella and The Little Mermaid, all old favorites, but with a very different twist. They're modernized: Snow White is Yuki (meaning "snow" in Japanese) White, budding graphic designer and friends of the seven dorks who hang out in the computer room. Cinderella is Cindy, fangirl extraord ...more
Rebecca
This book was actually kinda good. I liked the idea of having three short stories about the modern day princesses. I'm going to give a rating to each short story:
Snow white and the seven 'Dorks': 3/10
Cyberella: 2/10
Swan Song: 4/10
I liked the last one the most but the other ones were good, too. I didn't understand why the last story was called 'Swan Song' because it's about the little mermaid and with that title I would have thought it would be about Swan Lake. I only gave 'Cyberalla' a 2 because
Pam Green
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Visit At Home Between the Pages to see this review in full, plus more!

Fractured is a collection of three modern day retellings of fairytales. The first is called Snow White and the Seven Dorks, where the main character is an outcast at a small school and she falls in with the “dork” crowd. The second is Cyberella, which is told entirely in blog posts, chat messages, and text messages. Lastly is Swan Song, a retelling of The Little Mermaid about a girl trying to kick start a singing career, but w
Kai
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teens, arc, books-i-own
Original post here at Amaterasu Reads

I've always admired authors who can re-invent fairytales we grew up reading. I love fairytales, especially the Disney Princesses. Little girls, at one point, dreamt of being swept off their feet by Prince Charming and taken to their castles in a faraway land, like I did.

It's very challenging to put a different spin into familiar stories we've come to love, and I have great respect for authors who can extend their imagination further and write about the same
Kayla
I am in love with any and all retold fairy tales. I'd give any of them a try. Thankfully this very quick read was not a waste of time, but rather a delightful way to revisit three well-known tales (Snow White, Cinderella, and The Little Mermaid) in new and different ways.

The first story in the book is "Snow White and the Seven Dorks", and I think you can figure out what tale that is based on. This was quick and smart. I loved reading about Yuki, how she was trying to figure out her life and fin
Savannah Andrea Smith
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love fairytale retellings! Maybe it's the fact that I grew up--nay, thrived on!--those Disney Princess movies when I was little, or that I've always secretly aspired to become a princess. Whatever the case, I really enjoyed reading Fractured. It was something fresh and new from a lot of the things I've seen in YA right now. It was nearly impossible to stop reading once I had begun. All the different stories were brilliantly different from each other. I actually stayed up really late at night r ...more
Lauren
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fractured features three short stories, each a retelling of a famous fairy tale. Here’s my opinion on each of the stories:

Snow White and the Seven Dorks: This story reminded me a bit of Sydney White, that movie starring Amanda Bynes, but it has an interesting twist involving roofies. I enjoyed this story, but I felt it was a tad predictable (the ending was super sweet, though!).

Cyberella: I really liked how this story was told via text messages and blog posts. Super fun! The ending was kind of
Bookworm007
Let's just get things straighten out.

I have 3 separate ratings for each tale:

"Snow White and the Seven Dorks" (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves) = 2.75 stars

"Cyberella" (Cinderella) = 3 stars

"Swan Song" (The Little Mermaid) = 2 stars

Snow White - pretty good retelling. I really like Kevin, and is Jason supposed to be the Evil Queen?? :/

Cyberella - I gave it 3 stars because I like how the whole retelling was done in the form of a MSN convo, plus this story was pretty close to the original Cinderel
Lisa
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was really excited about it because I love fairy tales. I knew that it would be different from the original stories but it was complete different from what I imagined.

The stories were written very much to the current era, using current technologies and lingo. I think that the author did a great job of modernizing the stories. I felt that there were some real lessons and experiences in the stories that teenagers can really relate to.

I guess I was expecting it to still have a fairy tale sort of
Jayme
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
Amanda R
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I liked it! I'm a sucker for retold fairy tales (who isn't?) so I was prepared to enjoy this even if it was terrible, but fortunately it was not terrible at all! The three stories are written in a charming, breezy style that fits them perfectly, and the modernization is quite well done. It takes a talented writer to convincingly feature a reality TV show in a retelling of Cinderella. And I must say, Ms. Karaplis's ending of The Little Mermaid is MUCH nicer than Hans Christian Andersen's. The onl ...more
Tove
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, ya
This modern reinterpretation of three classic fairy-tales was a fun read. All three stories were both funny and compelling, though my favorite is definitely the first one (Snow White and the Seven Dorks). The description of the dorks made me laugh out loud... I felt like I have probably met several of those dorks in my real life. I also really enjoyed the clever IM/blog format of the second story. Very entertaining. Great book!
Sandee
Nov 03, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was a quick read. Three familiar children's fairy tale stories made modern in a voice easily understood by the YA audience (in my opinion, being a teenager trapped in a 40-something year old body) I didn't like the first story very much, but enjoyed the last 2 finding them both imaginative and entertaining. I'm going to save this book to give to my 9 year-old twin girls when they get older!
Crystal Allen
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teenreads
This book was so much fun to read. Wonderful modern takes on classic fairy tales. I especially loved the second story that was based on Cinderella and was written entirely in text messages and blog posts.

Joanna please write a sequel! I want to see how you would interpret more of my favorite stories! :)
Runa
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
The stories were fine. If you're into fairy tale adaptations, it's a nice quick read, but given how hard it is to find the book, I wouldn't say it's something to go out of your way to get. Pretty impressed about the end of the Little Mermaid adaptation, and as always, weirded out by adult interpretations of how teens overuse chatspeak.
Michele(mluker) Luker
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has three small short stories in it...Each story is typically based on a fairtale, but written with modern themes. I enjoyed each story very much. But, Not each story has a happy ending. Joanna shows this in her stories. The stories make you think, make you wonder on what would have been if a different decision was made...So true to real life.
Gillian Buckley
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like this modern twist on classic fairy tales. I haven't read a young adult novel since I was a young adult myself, so it was interesting to see how the genre has evolved to incorporate the social media that plays a larger and larger role in our lives. Cyberella, a story that uses text messages and blog posts in its telling, is really clever.
Kat
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian, ya, 2013, borrowed
This was a collection of fractured fairy tales- Snow White, Cinderella and the Little Mermaid. I enjoyed the Cinderella one, told through texts and blogs, the most but they all had unique takes on the fairy tales, all without magic.
Sally Sparrow
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very insightful modern take on three fairy tales: Snow White, Cinderella and The Little Mermaid. Loved second story the best.
Steph VanderMeulen
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Review to come soon! Plus, I host the author, Joanna Karaplis, on November 16th on my blog!
Cara
Feb 28, 2013 marked it as to-read
The cover is creepy but it sounds good.
Jennifer Stark
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very interesting twists on the 3 fairy tales. Took me a couple pages to get into them, but once I did it was fairly good. Read it in like an hour. Good job though.
Daisy
Oct 26, 2010 rated it liked it
review will be up soon
Six
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
The last story has such a sad ending!!!
Stephanie Parray
Sep 18, 2013
Jessica Laurence
Apr 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Sevenfold Spell (Accidental Enchantments, #1)
  • Cinders
  • The Forest of Adventures (Knight Trilogy, #1)
  • When Rose Wakes
  • My Avenging Angel (Angels and Demons #1)
  • Cat's Tale: A Fairy Tale Retold
  • Mrs. Beast
  • Cloaked in Red
  • The Mark
  • Cinderella: Ninja Warrior (Twisted Tales, #1)
  • Flecks of Gold
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • Over the Moon
  • Not Your Average Fairy Tale
  • Midnight in Never Land
  • Rae: My True Story of Fear, Anxiety, and Social Phobia
  • The Owl Keeper

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)