Start by marking “A Resumed Identity” as Want to Read:
A Resumed Identity

A Resumed Identity

Excerpt:
One summer night a man stood on a low hill overlooking a wide expanse of forest and field. By the full moon hanging low in the west he knew what he might not have known otherwise: that it was near the hour of dawn. A light mist lay along the earth, partly veiling the lower features of the landscape, but above it the taller trees showed in well-defined masses agains
Published (first published May 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Resumed Identity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Resumed Identity

Start your review of A Resumed Identity
K. Anna Kraft
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Ah, a story where the question surrounding how the story could happen seems to overshadow the story itself... I'm starting to realize that Bierce likes his wishy-washy elements.

I didn't feel like focusing on that when I arranged my thoughts on the story into a haiku though:

"Landing where it will,
Displaced with a bloody shock,
And hurdled along."
Ravi Teja
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Liz
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, short-story
From the atmospheric vision at sunrise to the abrupt ending, this story questions memory, reality, and sense of self. A man wakes and finds himself in an acoustic shadow only to later find himself in another world. Is he just a civil war soldier trying to get back to his company or is he something more? Audible edition narrated by Anthony Heald. 1908.
Sucharita Biswas
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A soldier who tries to find what happened to its army, but, in turn realises his true identity.
Mloy
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a bit of an odd tale but the subject was an interesting character, to say the least; although, the events that transpired was a little vague, the story albeit short was still pretty complex. I'm not entirely certain that the vision the protagonist had was all in his head or a memory from his past or even just a hallucination if, in fact, it turns out he's a mental patient and seeing the marker stone made him think that he was one of the soldiers. The ending was a bit too drastic, I thou ...more
Menna Kh.
Dec 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-strories
One of the very few writings that I didn't get at it's aim. I don't know if it is of my faults or that I'm right. But mostly I think it's very unclear and the narrative is too vague to follow.
And honestly, I didn't like it.
Eduardo Gameiro
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was not expecting a story like this from renowed writer Ambrose Bierce. I mean, this story is literally bad, it almost made no sense, it looked like the writer had completely forgot he had to entertain readers.
And so I very sadly have to it a 2 out of 5.
Late one night, a mysterious man witnesses the strangely silent movement of a large army.
Questioner

• The Wood of the Dead
  • A Haunted Island
  • Keeping His Promise
  • The Willows
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
  • A Psychical Invasion
  • Ancient Sorceries
  • The Kit Bag
  • William Wilson
  • The Premature Burial
Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce (1842-1914) was an American editorialist, journalist, short story writer, fabulist and satirist. Today, he is best known for his short story, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and his satirical lexicon, The Devil's Dictionary.

The sardonic view of human nature that informed his work – along with his vehemence as a critic, with his motto "nothing matters" – earned him the ni