Start by marking “Fables, Vol. 15: Rose Red” as Want to Read:
Fables, Vol. 15: Rose Red

Fables, Vol. 15: Rose Red

(Fables (Collected Editions) #15)

Winner of Fourteen Eisner Awards

Every Rose has its thorn.
As the Fables of the mundane world try desperately to shield themselves from the withering power of Mister Dark, Rose Red - the Farm's ostensible leader - is finally jolted out of her crippling depression and into action by a timely revelation from her storybook past. Her epiphany comes not a moment too soon - as
Paperback, Trade, 256 pages
Published April 12th 2011 by Vertigo (first published April 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fables, Vol. 15, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables, Vol. 15

Start your review of Fables, Vol. 15: Rose Red
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I can't help but give this five stars. I love this series very much. It's funny. I can be stingy when it comes for Fairest or Cinderella, but I have trouble doing that with Fables, except Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover lost me because it was too smug I think and also because Jack gets on my ever-loving nerves and he was in that book too much for my tastes. However, we are back on our five star streak with Fables here.

Rose Red finally gets her head together after the very painful
David
This volume was one of the most satisfying in a long while. There was a ton of backstory (mostly involving Snow White and Rose Red) and then an all-out smackdown between Mister Dark and Frau Totenkinder. The backstory is mostly stuff we've inferred from earlier volumes -- Rose Red and Snow White used to be the closest of sisters, and then Snow White went away, and Rose, consumed with jealousy, sets out to destroy Snow's life. So we find out that Rose really was an evil, manipulative bitch back ...more
Sud666
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Let me be clear- the vast majority of Vol 15 is 4 star rated story, it is the last 25% of the volume that goes off the proverbial rails.

First the good stuff: This Volume has two major points. The first is Rose Red regaining her mojo and returning to lead the Farm. Leading up to this we take a nice detour into the past and learn about the whole Snow White/Rose Red history and it explains much (though I still think Rose Red is a terrible person).
The second part is the conflict that has been
Jonathan Terrington

One of the things I've appreciated most in what I've watched of the television series Once Upon a Time (aside from the family friendly nature of it) is that it played cleverly with old stories I was entirely familiar with. At its best, Fables does precisely the same.

In this volume the reader is introduced to the different backstories of Snow White and her sister Rose Red. At the same time, some little twists and curious elements in the story are explained (view spoiler)
Ritinha
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything worth loving in this run gets its moment in this trade.
Jonathan Maas
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Epic Conclusion - of Sorts

I love Fables by Bill Willingham, and though I have a preference for his more standalone tales, I have to make an exception for this semi-conclusion to the Mister Dark story arc.

No Spoilers here - but let's just say it is incredible. Bellflower, a reformed evil, versus Mister Dark, an unreformable evil!

Just incredible - and they throw in a few standalone tales at the end, including a written one, illustrated a few times by Bill Willingham himself.

Absolutely
Juho Pohjalainen
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here's a pretty solid one. Good character growth, an exciting final battle, and a cliffhanger. I'm glad Fables can still throw a good punch or two.
Alex
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. It's simply no longer drawing my attention. Not necessarily because something happened, it just feels like too much of the same old thing. I might quit or put the series on hold so that I can move on to something else.
Patrick
Wow! Another great volume!
Quentin Wallace
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This volume includes both the untold story of Snow White and Rose Red's origin, as well as the duel with Mr. Dark.

Snow White and Rose Red is of course a much darker tale then history would have us believe, as the girls suffered a lot growing up. The duel with Mr. Dark was somewhat of a letdown, but I have a feeling it's not over yet.

While I don't find the series to be quite as good as the older volumes, it's still fun and the art always fits the story nicely.
Mir
Dec 15, 2011 rated it liked it
For being Rose Red's book, she really didn't take center stage except at the beginning. But that's okay, I was never very interested in her. Frau Totenkinder and her magical duel were more cool.
Bry
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the best installments in the series. The reawakening of Rose Red, the attempted defeat of Mr. Dark, the evacuation of the farm, a birth, and a betrayal...basically it was a seriously action packed and intense installment.

I have never been a fan of Rose Red's character but the authors do try to explain her past behaviors, and while it didn't really justify her actions since then, I did understand her emotional states a bit more, and get her character a lot more. And once she pulled her
Mauoijenn
This was a nice volume of the Fables story.
You got to see more of Snow and Bigby's 7 children.
Nice little read and just the thing for an early evening bus ride.

Now that this series is done. I can say it was worth the read. All 15 volumes!!
Harry Lawrence
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-and-gns, 2015
Another fantastic collection that is jam-packed with many little extras.
توفيق عبد الرحيم
biggest volume so far
i loved the story of rose red and snow white and how rose red handled things
and what about the epic battle between frau totenkinder and mr.dark pretty neat stuff
i even liked the silly things in the after math best single issue in any comic i may have ever read would be the 100th issue of fables for sure
Helen White
Rose is back! Woo. Some nice twists in this one.
Nancy Meservier
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ever since the death of Boy Blue, Rose Red has wallowed in depression, neglecting everything from basic hygiene to her duties as head of the farm. Her time in isolation is filled with hallucinations, beginning with the severed head of one of the three little pigs, and eventually moving to her mother. When she sees the image of her mother, Rose Red begins to think back on her childhood with Snow White, and her deepest regrets of early adulthood. Meanwhile, Frau Totenkinder has drawn all of her ...more
Artemisa
Karissa
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the 15th installment in the Fables series. It was a great continuation of the story and did a good job of giving some background on Rose Red and Snow White as well as continuing the storyline of Mister Dark.

In this book we get to take a journey back into Snow White and Rose Red’s past and find out what exactly happened to make these two bitter towards each other. We also get to see the final showdown between Mister Dark and Frau Totenkinder.

This installment did a wonderful job of both
Grace
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The absolute best part of the newest volume from the always-riveting Fables world was, at least to me by far, the story of Snow White and Rose Red / Snow White. As a long time aficionado of fairy tales, I was familiar of course with both the well-known story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and also the lesser known fairy tale of Snow White and Rose Red. And like many others have I'm sure, I also wondered about the same name being used in two very different stories. Well, Willingham finds a ...more
Maggie Cats
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have only recently starting getting into comics--this is the fourth series I have read after Watchmen, Sandman, and Y: The Last Man. Rose Red is the most recent of the trade paperback versions and having to wait several months for the next release is making me very grumpy since the series is REALLY good.

If the concept of fables (i.e. fairy tale characters) living as exiles in our mundane world seems familiar it's because ABC's Once Upon a Time was originally supposed to be an adaption of
David Caldwell
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Volumes 94 to the oversized 100th issue are included in this 15th collection of the Fables comic book series.

Rose Red finally comes out of her depression over Boy Blue's death and Frau Totenkinder'splans to stop the Dark Man come to fruition. With a little supernatural help, Rose Red resolves her feelings about her past and Snow White. With this new acceptance of what has been, Rose finds a new resolve towards running the Farm. Frau Totenkinder has developed a plan to take on and hopefully end
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I don't really feel I can fairly rate this, having only read this volume since it was nominated for a Hugo award.

I think lately we are being saturated with fairy tale retellings - movies, tv shows, books - and I bet that Fables pre-dates that by a few years. But in the context of Grimm and Once Upon a Time and Cinder and Once Upon a Huntsman, it is difficult to find something that really feels fresh. I also would need much more detailed of a back story to understand Fabletown and how everything
William Thomas
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
The Great Fables Crossover marked the beginning of the end for this series, and 'Rose Red' is proof that the book is just a weak shadow of it's former greatness. The entire book is a study in anticlimactic structure. There really isn't much to say about it except that it does nothing to move the narrative forward... and seriously, is that why Mr. Dark has been eating teeth this whole time, so we can get something so supercilious as that?!??! Eating teeth. Makes not a damn bit of sense.

Writing:
M. Ashraf
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fables-vertigo
It is a great story...
The come back of Rose Red, we saw Rose and Snow childhood and how their life diverged, the play time of the dwarfs, what? that was too dark!!!
Rose taking back the leadership was awesome!
And the long awaited battle in the 100 issue was great! the artwork was amazing and full of twists with great ending, though after all what happened I could have settled for a happy ending, more volumes and story to come.
Can't wait to see what will North do about Ghost :), Beast's daughter
A B
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Whoo-hoo, Fables is back on track! This is a massive volume with all sorts of fun (literally - there are games and cut-outs in the back). I enjoyed Rose Red and Snow White's backstory from the Homelands and particularly loved the redemption story of Bellflower, formerly known as Frau Totenkinder. While the title led me to believe there would be more of a focus on Rose Red, she is really only a minor player in the volume, though to her credit she finally gets out of bed.

+1 for the gorgeous
Wing Kee
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect example why I love the fables so damn much. This arc focuses on Rose Red this sister of Snow White. Her history is told, her relationships are explained in a very real and interesting way. The art by Buckingham is once again superb and the ending is wonderful a character moment which is just great.
Ubalstecha
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
Rose is finally woken out of her self imposed "coma" and returns to running the Farm, just as the reborn Babba Yaga takes on Mr. Dark, and seemingly wins. When the threat to Fabletown follows them home, can Rose rally the troops in time?

Again, brilliantly written and just fun to read. This series is back in form!
Megan
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if this book was supposed to make me more or less sympathetic toward Rose Red, but I still pretty much hate her guts. But at least maybe she is over her shit now and we can move on? I did enjoy seeing more of Snow White's back story though. And I pretty much adore Frau Totenkinder/Bellflower.
Derek Royal
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Going back to reread almost all of the Fables issues in preparation of our special retrospective on the series: http://comicsalternative.com/episode-.... I will dearly miss this title.

• Fairest, Volume 3: The Return of the Maharaja
  • Fairest, Volume 5: The Clamour for Glamour
  • Fairest, Volume 2: The Hidden Kingdom
  • Fairest, Volume 4: Of Men and Mice
  • Cinderella: Fables are Forever (Vol. 2)
  • Fables: The Wolf Among Us, Volume 2
  • American Vampire, Vol. 3
  • The Witcher, Vol. 4: Of Flesh and Flame
  • Super Spellsword Sága: Legenda o Nekonečnu
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more

Fables (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile
  • Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm
  • Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love
  • Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands
  • Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days)
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves
  • Fables, Vol. 9: Sons of Empire
  • Fables, Vol. 10: The Good Prince
“Sometimes impossible things are entirely possible, if there's magic enough in the world.” 2 likes
“Since you types wouldn't be happy unless you're unhappy, I wouldn't dare try to take your joy away by solving your problems.” 2 likes