Start by marking “The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind” as Want to Read:
The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind

The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The world of yoga is astonishingly rich in its array of schools and practices. Yet, as diverse as they seem, they share a common aim: the discovery of the essence of existence that can be found at the core of our being, and the liberation that comes from that discovery. With this worthy goal in mind, Richard Freeman presents an enlightening overview of the many teachings, ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Shambhala

Geoff
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had a tough time trying to write a proper review of this book. On the one hand, this is one of the best books on yoga that I have ever read. At a slim 233 pages, the depth of it's content can not be found anywhere else in so small a space. On the other hand, attempting to distill over forty years of practice and knowledge of yoga into such a small space seems a daunting task. So while the content of the book is excellent, the delivery of that content was not always optimal and could have used ...more
Deb Korch
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I rarely give a book 5 stars. This one deserved every one of them. It was accurate and interesting.
Eric
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Richard Freeman was my yoga teacher for 7 years and I am filled with respect and admiration for him. He is the real thing. His dedication to yoga and his deep of understanding of the what it is, is unparalleled in my experience. And I have practiced yoga for 25 years. Anyway, this tome is a true treat for yoga aficionados who need to dive deep in yoga philosophy. I look forward to re-reading this book in the years to come.
Jenny
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
oh richard freeman, so eloquently and beautifully you write, unraveling your way with intricate grace into the heart of yoga. dare i ask, could you make your sentences and paragraphs shorter so as not to overwhelm at first glance? that said, the mirror of yoga is beautiful as is. perhaps the fine detail and epic sentencing is necessary. i'm grateful to you as one of our western pioneers into this field.
secondwomn
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to secondwomn by: Elliott McEldowney
Shelves: yoga, ebook, 2012, yoga-recs
i loved this and read it very slowly. freeman has a nice flow to his writing, conversational and smart. this is an excellent resource on yoga and philosophy that i will be returning to many times as a teacher and student. i found myself consistently making connections with the points he makes and my own daily experiences.
Yascha
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Richard is obviously someone who has lived and breathed abstract notions for many years.
As a primarily left-brained person picking this book up, I had to re-read a number of sections in order to understand what Richard was getting at.
That said, the content (once I understood it) really resonated with me.
I would highly recommend this for any yoga practitioner wanting to deepen their practice.
Margaret
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga
Tough going. Every time I picked it up, I had to flip around to make sure I was starting where I left off because nothing before or after my bookmark made any sense to me. I think I need another 20 years of practice to really get much out of this.
Kreeti Shakya
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A vey rich content comprising of an exploration of different schools of yoga. There is a lot of information in the book that can't be all digested in one read.
Suzanne
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A huge amount of information. Not a book to be read just once. Might have preferred a male narrator (read this as an Audible book).
Heather Delia
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
This book was tough to read because it was pretty deep but was worth the struggle. I'd give 3.5 stars.
Thomas N Dennis
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Deeply insightful
Coleen
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is among my top ten yoga philosophy books. A beautiful book.
Marci
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-50-favorites
The best book on yoga philosophy that exists.
Tobias Grzesik
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading it again and again. One of the best books about Yoga.
Sherry
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every page a master class!
Steve
Jun 20, 2012
Katy Bruce
Sep 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life
  • Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • 21st Century Yoga: Culture, Politics, and Practice
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • The Subtle Body: The Story of Yoga in America
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • Insight Yoga
  • Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques
  • Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind,and Heart (Compass)
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana