Start by marking “Round River” as Want to Read:
Round River

Round River

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
To those who know the grace of Aldo Leopold's writing in A Sand County Almanac, this posthumous collection from his journals and essays will be a new delight. These daily journal entries on hunting, fishing and exploring, written in camp during his many field trips in lower California, New Mexico, Canada, and Wisconsin, indicate the source of Leopold's ideas on land ethics ...more
Published March 30th 1972 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Round River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Round River

Joshua Frank
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a real gem, Leopold at his best. It's been awhile since I've thumbed through Sand County, but I have to put this one right up there. Pulled from his journals, most essays are timeless little vision quests into the wilderness we depend on to survive as a species. Although he's a true master of his scientific craft, Leopold doesn't get bogged down with technicalities. His passion is the driving force.
Virginia Arthur
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Reading some of the reviews, I wonder did these people actually read this book?

Despite that this book includes one of my favorite quotes as an ecologist, considering Leopold's reputation as a conservationist, much of this book is kind of horrifying. It includes basically a log of all the wildlife he slaughters including a list of the entrails and body parts of a herd of deer they kill. I suppose a hunter might find it interesting but owing to Leopold's reputation, it's hard to take.

People have
David
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to Leopold in college. A Sand County Almanac was a profound and life changing read for me. This book, or rather a collection of essays and journals, is not as in depth or profound as Almanac, but it still put me right back in that place and mindset.
This book may come as a surprise to modern day arm chair environmentalists because in my experience, some think of hunting as diametrically opposed to environmentalism. Nothing could be further from the truth. A giant part of the cons
Andrea
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Didn't love it as much as Sand County Almanac, but still a lovely book and glimpse into Leopold's relationship with his son through journals of their hunting and fishing trips together. A good detox after a couple violent and dark books in a row.
Caroline
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Aldo Leopold is one of the seminal nature writers and advocates of out time. His books tell not only of a theory of action, of an approach to the world, but also of a man who himself is emblematic of a righter way of being in regard to the natural world.
Madeline
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: environment
Great writing. I found myself taking pictures of certain passages so that I can save them for when people ask me, "Why did you want to become a wildlife ecologist?" He's great at explaining the reasons and motivations ecologists have for what they do.
Linda
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
An interesting look at hunting that gave this non-hunter a little more insight and understanding. Leopold's passionate view of conservation must have made him seem nuts to the people of the 30s and 40s... admirable!
Krti
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing individual; love his understanding of conservation and environmental ecology. The last few chapters of this book - I believe from "Conservation" onwards - made the entire read very powerful.
Andrew
Apr 09, 2008 rated it liked it
An good book, although not of the profundity of A Sand County Almanac (probably because they were simply trip journals which Leopold never intended to be published.)
Bro Mitch
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Nature's Economy: A History of Ecological Ideas
  • Man and Nature: Or, Physical Geography as Modified by Human Action
  • Natural Acts: A Sidelong View of Science and Nature
  • Living Downstream: A Scientist's Personal Investigation of Cancer and the Environment
  • The Desert Smells Like Rain: A Naturalist in Papago Indian Country
  • The Maine Woods (Writings of Henry D. Thoreau)
  • The Death and Life of Monterey Bay: A Story of Revival
  • The Wilderness World of John Muir
  • Enough: Staying Human in an Engineered Age
  • Abbey's Road
  • Mind of the Raven: Investigations and Adventures with Wolf-Birds
  • Where the Sea Breaks Its Back: The Epic Story - Georg Steller & the Russian Exploration of AK
  • The Gift of Good Land: Further Essays Cultural and Agricultural
  • Ecology of a Cracker Childhood
  • Whispering in the Giant's Ear: A Frontline Chronicle from Bolivia's War on Globalization
  • Crossing Open Ground
  • Human Natures: Genes, Cultures, and the Human Prospect
  • The Forgotten Pollinators
Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) had lasting impact on natural resource management and policy in the early to mid-twentieth century and his influence has continued to expand since his death. It was through his observation, experience, and reflection at his Wisconsin river farm that he honed the concepts of land health and a land ethic that have had ever-growing influence in the years since his death. He p ...more
More about Aldo Leopold...

“The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.” 93 likes
“We shall never achieve harmony with the land, anymore than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.” 64 likes