Start by marking “The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction

The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction

Ann Charters has an acute sense of which stories work most effectively in the classroom and knows that writers, not editors, have the most interesting and useful things to say about the making and the meaning of fiction. For those who want a smaller, less expensive anthology, the compact edition of The Story and Its Writer is the most comprehensive, diverse — the best-se
Paperback, 8th Edition, 1856 pages
Published July 16th 2010 by Bedford/St. Martin's (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Story and Its Writer, please sign up.
Katy It includes" The Darling" by Chekhov and his "Technique in Writing the Short Story", as well as Leo Tolstoy's Chekhov's Intent in "The Darling."

Lenora Good
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At almost 1800 pages, this is not a book to read in bed, unless you are a weightlifter as well as a reader, and have exceptionally strong wrists. The pages are thin, but it still weighs a ton! And that's exactly what it is—a ton of good reading.

Part One of the book is a collection of short stories arranged alphabetically by author. I started them all and finished most of them. It is a great collection of stories by authors as varied as Salman Rushdie, Flannery O'Connor, and Leslie Marmon Silko.
Emorgan05
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is the new textbook that I am using in my Introduction to Fiction class. I generally don't count short stories (except those that are featured on my list of books I haven't read), but I've read this entire book now (in the past two weeks) and I want credit for that!

To the actual review part, this is a great anthology. There is an amazingly wide variety of stories pulled together here and great choices were made about which to include. My one disappointment is that Chambers has focused so
Lizgreen79
Sep 25, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great choice for an intro to lit class. I used it for my Short Story Writing class this fall with great results. It has an excellent far-reaching selection of "canonical," "multi-cultural" and "marginal/experimental" texts and the latest edition even includes a section on graphic novels in the back. Tried and true. I also look forward to dipping into it here and there for years to come and would be happy to teach with it again.
Josiphine/Tessa
Obviously I didn't read the whole thing. This class just about changed my mind about short stories.

(view spoiler)
Jessica Martin
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
I had to purchase this for my first college English class and really loved the variety of stories and authors. The class I used this text for was a huge factor in why I chose to major in English. It's a great book to have on your shelf. I find myself turning back to it all the time to reread some of my favorite stories and to get acquainted with the style of authors I'm curious about of stories that are referenced in academic articles. It's a great way for someone who is just starting out on the ...more
Mr. Brammer
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some earth-shattering works of fiction here - Tolstoy's "The Death of Ivan Ilych", Ellison's "Battle Royale", Joyce Carol Oates' "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been". The anthology is arranged alphabetically, so there is a thematic randomness if you read it straight through. The variety of modern and contemporary stories reveal one common trait of genius writers - the ability to observe the human scene.
Clare Azzopardi
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a perfect book for those who want to know more about the short story ...
Taylor
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college-books
This was one of the books that I had to read for my Contemporary Literature class. This was my first experience reading contemporary short fiction and to be quite honest...I enjoyed it much more than I anticipated I would. Short fiction is definitely written for a certain audience and I'm not sure if I will continue reading short fiction after this book, but it wasn't a horrible read.
Cassie
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that love reading
Shelves: school
I did not read all the stories as this was for school, but I enjoyed the selection of stories and authors avalible. The biggest problem I had was Ann Charters appendices which had less information than my high school text books.
Maki
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite book that I read in College for English class. I loved all of the short stories in this book.
Anne
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Now I need a new bedtime book!
Lou
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used this to supplement a lecturecsrried on short fiction from the Great Courses.
Aaron
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Note: this review is for the ninth edition) I was in a survey of fiction class this semester that used this book and I couldn't be happier with it. I decided to buy it (rather than rent it) as soon as I noticed the cover was a drawing by Adrian Tomine. Soon enough I realized that Ann Charters managed to include five graphic stories in this anthology among all the other great pieces. This is the most exciting anthology I've seen in college and it blows Norton and Longman's out of the water in my ...more
Jared
One of the books I had to get during a college course that I'm glad I did. Someday I'll hunt down another copy to keep around.

This is a great resource for short fiction, this type of book is something I'd like to see more of. With collected short stories, you don't often get the appendices of discussing the parts of a story. And that makes sense: you're not looking for a course on reading with every anthology you pick up.

Even so, Charters includes a list of questions to ask yourself when writing
Michael Mayer
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Charters when I started reading up on Kerouac and his crew; it didn't dawn on me until later that she had also edited my undergraduate short story writing textbook. I ended up dropping the course but kept the book. This is one of the best anthologies out there with hardly a stinker in the bunch (over 1000 pages of stories). Some of my favorite authors and their best short stories are here: Raymond Carter, Angela Carter, Joyce Carol Oates, Flannery O'Connor with commentary both by these au ...more
kelley
I read this book because It's been a long time since I was in school and needed a refresher course on how to write a short story. This is my son's college text book. I found it helpful and informative with just two short chapters on what elements are found in a short story. The rest of the 1069 pages of this book are short story selections and notes about the authors. I did not read the entire book. But I did read a number of the stories. It's been kind of fun reading a little story here and the ...more
Deborah A.
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed a lot of short story anthologies to teach a short fiction class, and this one was wonderful. It includes a lot of the classics students hadn't read on their own -- Gogol, Chekhov, Kafka, and contemporary writers as well. Concise bios and a whole section of critical essays. The students loved it, as did I. My only complaint is that it's printed on the thinnest, most see-through paper you've ever seen.
Chloe
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the way of textbooks this one is really incredible. It has a truly great collection of short stories, and yes, there are fewer than the full edition, but it is almost more essential as a result. They have narrowed it down to the most key and often used. Every story I have read from this so far has been really gifted writing. The supplemental materials in the book are also at times interesting. Mostly, I really just recommend the book for the quality of short stories collected herein.
Steve
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the text for my English Literature class at BYU. Financial circumstances caused me to sell it and regret it for years. I found a different edition that is missing a few of the stories I loved, like The Catbird Seat and The Things They Carried, but it has The Yellow Wallpaper, Young Goodman Brown,and A Good Man Is Hard To Find. This is a great collection of short stories and commentary on those stories.
Jose Moch
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for college students. It gives pointers from the very same writers about how to read and write short stories. Their comments about their own work or that others is really enlightening. It is also very helpful for students since it teaches in one section how to write essays. The only think that I didn't like and that's the reason I didn't give it five stars was because it doesn't include some great short story writers like O'Henry, Capote and Henry James among many others.
Faye
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read the book cover to cover. One rarely does in a text book situation. There are so many wonderful short stories in the book. Some I had read and some I hadn't. I especially love the profiles on each author and how they discussed a bit about their writing process and style. This is a book I'll keep instead of selling back because you'll never find so many great stories in one place!
Laura Neu
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the most incredible compilation. Not only does it include a vast array of authors (from Shirley Jackson to Edgar Allan Poe to George Saunders, to Alice Munro) but it includes a comprehensive collection of essays by renowned authors and critics alike, not to mention sections on how to write, etc. This is truly a phenomenal text.
Leorah
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Taking a class in reading the greats. This anthology looks fantastic! First two stories to read: Marquez and Bender.

For this class we read quite a few of the stories in this collection. It is a wonderful anthology. Seems as if some stories are found in all my anthologies, but I was exposed to some new writers such as Bender and really enjoyed expanding my knowledge base.
Kathryn
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I have read many of these short stories before, but my favorite this time around was James Joyce's "The Dead." I cant believe after all these years of education, I had never read this short story before. It was amazing.

I also liked the commentary at the end of the book that included critiques of works within the book, essays by authors, writing/reading advice and so much more.
Angie
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angie by: Dr. Eneves
I took a short story class and even though the class wasn't amazing I really enjoy this book. I haven't read all the stories of course but I discovered a lot of great authors and have found a lot of good books threw this book
Katherine
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook
I read a good chunk of this for my English class this semester. It is full of short stories and commentaries on them. I enjoyed reading some of them, some of them were fine, and I really didn't like some of them. About par for a textbook, I guess.
Peggy
Sep 22, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, my favorites are Woody Allen's "Kugelmass Episode," Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings," and Lorrie Moore's "How to Become a Writer." Allen and Moore's pieces are hilarious, and Marquez's is as brilliant as his novel "One Hundred Years of Solitude."
Quirkyreader
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my university text books.

I used it in combination with my Norton's and Fiction 100 book.

This book contains Faulkner's supernatural stories, "The Rockinghorse Winner" and "A Rose For Emily".
Omnipotent Dystopian Now
Packed with excellent short stories-new and old. This is a nice compilation to keep on the night stand for a quick read before bed, or a just a good way to discover talented writers you may not have heard of.
Dallian
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Obviously I haven't gotten to every story in this compilation yet but I have gained insight from every one that I have. Great buy - worth every penny, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I bought it for school and I've never been more happy with a class-assigned text.
« previous 1 3 next »
A Short Story Unit for 8th grade? 1 1 Mar 14, 2018 03:51PM

• The Norton Anthology of English Literature: The Major Authors
  • Points of View: An Anthology of Short Stories
  • Three Complete Novels: Howards End, A Room with a View, Where Angels Fear to Tread
  • Best Short Stories of Jack London
  • The Bulwark
  • The Best American Short Stories 1998
  • American Short Story Masterpieces: A Rich Selection of Recent Fiction from America's Best Modern Writers
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction: Fifty North American Stories Since 1970
  • Alan Moore: Portrait of an Extraordinary Gentleman