Start by marking “Maybe This Time” as Want to Read:
Maybe This Time

Maybe This Time

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  11,874 Ratings  ·  1,503 Reviews

When Andie Miller goes to see her ex-husband, North Archer, to return ten years of uncashed alimony checks, he asks for one final favor: A distant cousin has died and left him guardian of two orphans who have driven out three nannies already; will she take the job? Bribed with money and a need for closure, Andie says yes, packs her bags, and heads for Southern Ohio.

But whe

Published August 31st 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Maybe This Time, please sign up.
The Reading Raccoon
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Alp
4.5/5

I went into this book completely blind and had no idea what to expect. I didn't read the synopsis, didn’t even read any reviews before diving into the story. Why bother? The author’s name alone is promising enough for me to give it a go, and of course, she didn’t fail me. Maybe This Time surprised me in many ways and every revelation literally stunned me for a moment. Furthermore, when everything fell into place, I was totally blown away.

My first surprise: The second chance romance between
Michelle
5 Creepy But Cute Stars!
I loved this one! I was up all night laughing reading this one. It was different. I'd say the love story was on the back burner during this one. Well...the love between North and Andie anyway. lol The love between Andie and the kids Carter and Alice was strong.
North and Andie are divorced but Andie is still getting alimony checks from North and it's been ten years. Andie hasn't cashed any of them and she wants North to stop sending them to her. She's ready to move on fro
Duchess Nicole
3.5 Stars!

MY BLURB
Andromeda (Andie) and North were married way too quickly at way too young an age. When North's uncle dies and leaves the family law firm in North's hands, he changes. No longer the fun and attentive husband, he becomes a workaholic and leaves Andie for nights on end, only coming home for sex and sleep. Andie doesn't want to be alone for the rest of her life, left waiting on a husband that barely remembers that she's alive. So she leaves.

It's now ten years later and Andie is
Punk
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Trigger warning for discussion of rape.

Romance. Andie Miller's ex-husband is desperate; his two young wards refuse to leave their giant English manor, and all the nannies he's sent to take care of them keep leaving, or dying. Andie agrees to look after the kids for a month, packs up her car, says goodbye to her almost fiancé, and moves to southern Ohio.

This has a lot in common with The Turn of the Screw: creepy house (complete with creepy pond), creepy orphans, creepy nannies. Except this makes
Kirsten
Jun 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
It was very funny this was my third buddy read with my friend Catherine. The last book we read was inspired by Pride and Prejudice and the first book we read was the classic The Turn of the Screw which this book was obviously inspired by.

I have never not loved a Jennifer Crusie book. This one starts slow and isn't as laugh out loud funny as some of her earlier books, but it is great fun and well put together.

Unlike the original, this take on Turn of the Screw is not as claustrophobic (and has a
Siria
Keri
4.5 Stars. Wish I hadn't taken so long to pick this one up. I thought it was a charming read and the séances were so funny, I laughed through this entire book. I have really missed reading JC's writing.
Angie
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published here.

In the mood for a cozy, post-holiday read? I suggest you give MAYBE THIS TIME a try. I first discovered Jennifer Crusie through the insanely entertaining Bet Me. I then immediately went on a Crusie binge. And though I enjoyed several of them, none quite matched up to that first one. So I'd been kind of avoiding another Crusie read, even after hearing very positive reviews of her newest. The fact that it was categorized as a mystery/romantic suspense piqued my interest,
CatBookMom
4/4/18 - Oddly enough, after the improbable start, this book kept me coming back to see What Happened Next, until I reached The End. Our Heroine is a most-likeable character, nothing like the ditz I thought she was. She did competent things, effective things. And there's one extended scene that is totally a farce, as people just keep coming to the house, disrupting what's going on.

4/3/18 - After TEN years?!? She kept all the alimony checks, uncashed, for TEN years? And has brought them back to
Mollie
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a solo title from Ms. Crusie! I've read some of her co-authored works, the only one I liked was Agnes and the Hitman which was excellent but I was glad to see Crusie doing her own thing again.

Maybe This Time is Crusie's re-telling of The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. I don't know this because I've read The Turn of the Screw, or because I was an English major, or a librarian. I know this only because Jenny told me. Well, not me specifically but the group of us that were at her book
Miriam
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts
Like several of Crusie's recent collaborations, this wobbles away from the romance genre but doesn't quite make it all the way to thriller or action. However, it does flow more evenly and the relationships, while certainly not her best, are more convincing than those in Wild Ride, Dogs and Goddesses, or The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes, which failed to show any connection, affection or compatibility between her romantic pairs. Here the relationship-building we see is more between the heroine and th ...more
Tiffany PSquared
**Audiobook Review**

First of all, let me just put this out there: This is not the book I thought I was going to hear. I thought I was in for a run-of-the-mill romance with a little prepared family ending (since there were kids involved). I did not expect... well, let's just say there were ghosts. Mean ones.

There was also a tarot card-reading mother, a story-hungry journalist, a parapsychologist with an affinity for tweed and couches, and - since there are ghosts - of course, a medium. Throw in a
Sam
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In January 2006 I was introduced to Jennifer Crusie by a friend who lent me Bet Me. I read it in 1 sitting and have read it numerous times since. I have pretty much read everything by Jennifer Crusie with Bet Me and Welcome to Temptation at the top of my favourites. I have been disappointed in the last 2.5 books by her that I’ve read and didn’t have very high expectations going into this book. Maybe This Time has joined Bet Me and WTT as my Crusie favourites.

This is what I call classic Crusie, f
Holly
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me why I love Jennifer Crusie!! What a great story, it made me laugh right out loud and it made my chest ache at times! If you love a fun book with a everything from ghosts, a creepy mansion, a crazy medium, kids that need love and a HEA of a love lost that was found again!!

I love the fast paced, witty dialog that JC brings to her books and this one is no exception. I loved Andie from the beginning but you grow to love the rest of these characters, they are amazing. I am rambl
Aug 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars
POV: 3rd person: Andie, North
Sensuality: Warm
Mystery/Suspense: Average

Andie Miller is finally moving on with her life. Ten years after her divorce from North Archer she is in a content, adult relationship with Will Spenser and she plans on accepting his marriage proposal. First she has to return the ten years of alimony checks from North.
Seeing him again still makes her heart flutter, but she's over him. When he asks for her help taking care of his wards--children he "inherited" when his
Jess
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, jennifer-crusie
This is the newest book by Crusie and it was it's normal quirky self with some added extras in the paranormal department. The main character Andie is happy to finally be moving on from her ex-husband and marrying a new man. So to celebrate she is bringing her ex-husband North all of the alimony checks he sent her in the last 10 years. When she sees North again, she expects him to be the same man. When North sees Andie (Andromeda) again, he finds himself surprised that he's actually happy about s ...more
willaful
This began with a scene straight out of “His Girl Friday” and I might have loved it if it had continued in that vein, because the ex-husband/ex-wife relationship was great -- witty, sexy, heart-wrenching, everything you want from Jennifer Crusie. Instead it went to a weird, discombobulating place with creepy kids, ghosts and possessions and I just could not maintain interest, no matter how much I loved the couple. (It didn't help that they spend very little time together for at least the first t ...more
Priscilla
AdiTurbo
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very cute ghost romp that doesn't take itself seriously and is lots of fun. A great palate cleanser between more difficult reads, light, witty and romantic.
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining fluff read. Like the ghost story element.
Cheri
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from what I'm used to reading by JC. I glad she traveled out of her element to write this very enjoyable book. it still has her dosage of quirkiness and fantastic humor with a side of the supernatural :)
Cherise
Andie and North once had a whirlwind romance. They met, they fell in love and they married the next day. They thought they had everything. Then a year into their marriage things changed and 10 years ago Andie walked out on North; they divorced, and they never looked back. Now Andie is contemplating marrage and looking to start fresh, that is why she decides to see North for the first time in 10 years.

North takes the news of Andie’s upcoming nuptials calmly and asks her for help. He says he will
Jennifer Garcia
Wow, what a surprise this book was. I thought it would be a regular romance, but nope ... it was so much more than that. This book had ghosts, amazing kids, and a nanny. With all of that, there was a romance and not in the traditional sense. The people in love were apart for most of the story but the thoughts were there. How she was able to create such a romance with two people that are barely together is a gift. She did a great job with it and it was believable.

I fell in love with the kids in
Elizabeth
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun!I really enjoyed this comedy/romance/ghost busting story. It was an entertaining read which I would recommend to others. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 center around the character of Kelly. The character of Kelly had absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever and was trashed by Andromeda during the seance. It detracted from the story. I enjoyed the Tim Burton-esque style of the Archer House and its occupants. The ending was great!
Magpie67
Just the right amount of paranormal, romance and mystery to the mix! Well done Jennifer, love her stuff!
The Reading Raccoon
Started strong but lost momentum toward the end. Liked the kids, the secondary characters and the "second chance romance" but something was a missing for me. It might have been the ghost story or the resolution of that storyline?
Janeen Swart
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Only if you Believe

If you like ghost stories, this is the book for you. But I thought the dialog between the ghosts and main characters to be rather silly at times, which made the plot unbelievable.
Alex
At First Sight: Andie Miller just wants to start a new life with her fiancé and break with everything that reminds her of the old one, specially her ex-husband North Archer - who keeps sending her alimony checks every month, ten years after their divorce.

But when she shows up at North's office to return all the un-cashed alimony checks, North asks her a favor and she is reminded of how she has never really been able to say 'no' to North. So she heads off to the wilds of southern Ohio to look af
Lynn Spencer
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
2.5 stars This book was really all over the place for me. Here's the basic setup: Andie Miller and North Archer have been divorced for 10 years. Andie plans to marry again and so she marches into North's office, determined to break the very last of ties between them by throwing his alimony checks right back at him.

Of course, that plan doesn't work and instead Andie ends up agreeing to go to rural southern Ohio to care for North's 2 young wards in an old English castle that some eccentric relativ
Georgie
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, tag-reviewed
I think there is a rule - let's call it Georgie's rule - that states that if you come across a brilliant DIK of a book, the second book you read by the same author will be a let-down. Think of The Proposition (brilliant) and Black Silk (ho-hum), The Rules Of Seduction (sexy as hell) and Lessons of Desire (let me out), Neanderthal Seeks Human (stop strangers in the street and quote bits) and Neanderthal Marries Human (you see what I mean). So - I am sorry to say - it is with Maybe This Time in th ...more
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)
  • And One Last Thing ...
  • Infamous
  • Catch of the Day (Gideon's Cove, #1)
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2)
  • A Night with the Society Playboy (Nights of Passion #3)
  • The Fortune Quilt
  • A Little Night Magic (Nodaway Falls, #1)
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5)
  • Not Another Bad Date (Writer Friends, #4)
  • Falling For Gracie (Los Lobos, #2)
  • On the Steamy Side (Recipe for Love, #2)
  • Demon Hunting in Dixie (Demon Hunting, #1)
  • Blame It on Paris
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
“The measuring and mixing always smoothed out her thinking processes - nothing was as calming as creaming butter - and when the kitchen was warm from the oven overheating and the smell of baking chocolate, she took final stock of where she'd been and where she was going. Everything was fine.” 24 likes
“Have you talked to North?" he said.
"Yes," she said. "I asked him to get us cable."
"I wish you weren't talking to him."
"I'd talk to Satan to get cable," Andie said.”
22 likes