Start by marking “Dreams” as Want to Read:
Dreams

Dreams

Extracted from Volumes 4, 8, 12, and 16. Includes The Analysis of Dreams, 'On the Significance of Number Dreams, General Aspects of Dream Psychology, On the Nature of Dreams, Individual Dream Symbolism in Relation to Alchemy, and The Practical Use of Dream-Analysis.
Published August 21st 1974 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreams

Start your review of Dreams
Mochizuki
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
Carl Jung says he has analysed more than 2.000 dreams per year, a very impressive number by anyone's standards. In his Dreams book, which a very good collection of many of his dreams experiments, he is after demolishing some Freudian's dreams concepts, mainly the one which asserts that the purpose of dreams is to fulfill infantile sexual wishes repressed in the unconscious, which don't find adequate outlet trough conscious activities.
To add content to this dispute, one has only to have in mind t
Peter Dunn
On reading this I am even more convinced that Jung vastly overthinks and over analyses what dreams are. The section on numbers in dreams is particularly silly and felt like a particularly bad combination of numerology, the sort of science that tries to find secret number codes in blocks of biblical text, and the ravings of a stage medium. However in terms of presentation it’s a well thought out selection of Jung’s writings on the topic, nicely reproduced, with many wonderful illustrations from t ...more
John Kulm
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of essays about dreams. Jung’s explanation about “compensation” as a way to understand dreams helped me see things in a new way – for example, I thought my recurring dream about driving an out-of-control car meant my conscious life was out of control. Instead, the dream could be compensating for a conscious life that was in control far too much. Jung relates “compensation” to his ideas on the four functions, and how compensation helps to form a balance.

Some quotes I liked:

“The rel
Nairy Fstukh
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jung-read
It seems to me that the only way one would disagree with Jung's analysis of dreams and their meanings is if they had a personal nerve touched a bit too close too a wound. This read is essential. There's no need to delve into mythology in full to understand Jung. His descriptions provide the necessary information. To read Jung is to get comfortable navigating the unknown in what might be a boat, a hat or a paper plane. Trusting the unconscious, the vehicles it uses and the archetypes it illustrat ...more
Natacha Pavlov
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This interesting volume compiles various articles (some based on lectures) that Carl Jung made on the subject of dreams. Some of the discussions include highlighting that dreams are highly personal and as such, symbols/images won't necessarily represent the same thing to everyone. That’s with keeping in mind the fact that there are universal symbols of things, so that imagery is not completely random, but that dreams are basically anything but a simple matter. For these reasons, much of the info ...more
Marjorie
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit too old fashioned, with quite a bit of untranslated Greek and Latin. It would have been nice if the editors had added annotations for the benefit of modern readers, most of whom doubtless have not had a classical education. Also, the selections included this book were taken from a much larger work and there are numerous references to Figures (illustrations) from the sections that were not included. The references either should have been removed or the illustrations added in an appendix.
Nayana B
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had first picked up this book when I was in school. I was fascinated by dreams then. How were they made? What made a dream exactly that dream? What do they mean? In this pursuit, I had started writing down a few of my dreams. But, had the feeling that when I wrote them down, a lot of it's meaning was lost. That's why I picked up this book- to gain more insight into it. But, back then i didn't have the experience of reading research papers that i have now. so i gave up on the book shortly after ...more
Tareq
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Definitely a lot to grasp from this book. Insights into dreams, examinations of symbols, religions, and creation. The book makes you think "what's going around? Why are we here?" Or maybe "how are we here?" But it doesn't answer those questions. The book tells you this is beyond our knowledge as humans. But there is a lot to observe, and upon closer examination, Carl sees that it all points to a certain direction; the center of the circle. The circle is the human psyche with its conscious and un ...more
Qasim Zafar
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
When it comes to Jung's point of view of dream interpretation, a deep understanding of complex topics in psychology isn't necessary; instead, what is required is a strong understanding of the foundational subjects, and a wide knowledge of mythology, culture, comparative religion and the like. This book is not a stand-alone work by Jung, but a collection of works, presented in four sections in this book:

1. Dreams and psychoanalysis - in the first works by Jung in this book, the reader will become
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
I think it's interesting how Carl Yung incorporated fairy tales into his theories about humans in general. This book is hard to read straight-through so it's probably best to read little snippets of it at a time to fully understand it. I want corneas this book again, someday...but when I'm older.
Ana
There is a deep world seething, and Jung sees it with so much intensity that he might convince us to live in it.
djt
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was not quite what I'd expected. The majority of the book was the recounting & brief analysis of the dreams of two of Jung's patients. He explains toward the end of the book that one was suffering from a true psychosis and the other seeking therapy for a much less serious problem. He also explains that he purposely omitted many of the dreams they'd related to him during therapy since they were of a personal nature & he wanted to maintain their privacy and adhere to a medical confidentia ...more
C
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jung, I think, is the last decent psychologist. Jung pleads with psychologists not to act all-knowing. These days it's all about handing out prescriptions after an hour of talking. And this was in HIS day, before doctors were being sponsored by medicine companies. Freud is over-rated. I love Jung's subtle jabs at "the Freudian school". One example:

"It is well known that the Freudian school presents the unconscious in a thoroughly negative light, much as it regards primitive man as little better
Ellie Carr
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Jung can lay claim to creating the theory of dreams most often subscribed to by the modern therapist-certainly he isn't subject to the same disdain as his mentor. However, the very specific interpretation of dreams in the latter half of the book seem to go directly against the theory he lays out in the first, which makes for rather confusing and tedious reading. Nevertheless, an enlightening, thought provoking and essential book.
Stephanie Karina
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The topic is interesting and develops an interest about dreams. The writing style is complex and not intriguing. The concept is great but the style is for people that have the vocabulary set in. Extremely interesting but complex
Toby Garrow
Chapters 1 through 3 provide an excellent introduction to Jung dream theory to anyone interested in the topic. Chapter 4 "Individual Dream Symbolism in Relation to Alchemy" however requires a lot more technical understanding of Jungs theories about dreams and alchemy to comprehend.
Brett Jephson
Feb 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Popular quote material for self help gurus. You can see why; it lays the foundation for those books with a heady combination of spiritualism, high brow references, and pseudo science. I found it superficial and unconvincing.
Susan
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Jung obsesses about Freud. Tells us he has had 2000. We get the same dreams von Franz talks about. He acknowledges myths that support him and ignores ones that don't. This guy is just a fake.
Dave
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This mind-expanding book on dream awareness and analysis was my way of becoming acquainted with Carl Jung. Try this if you are interested in dreams or in post-Jungianism.
Neakea Seng
The writing is so convoluted and complicated. he could just sum up one idea but takes 3 whole paragraphs to do so it was a very slow read and definitely something.
Sabeeh
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Has some interesting concepts, but the references that solidify his arguments are too scholarly. Not really targeted to someone who is not vastly learned in the fields of alchemy and religion.
Joe
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Yeah it's good... it's Jung.
David
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dreams, psychology
This book is a collection of publications by Carl Jung on the subject of dreams analysis. There are several short works from the very early 1900's, another from the 30's, another from the mid 1940's, followed by the famous case study on dream symbolism related to alchemy (which takes up the latter two-thirds of the book). Though it is a collection that spanned three decades there is amazing uniformity between the theories, descriptions and attitude toward this topic from Jung's younger years to ...more
Simon
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I would say that I enjoyed this book, although essentially what I enjoyed were the phantasmagoria of mandala dream depictions and their alchemical significance. Jung's work is thought-provoking and scintillating to anyone seeking intellectual stimulation. However, I can't in good conscience pretend that I fully grasped what Jung is putting forward throughout much of this book.

'Dreams' is drenched in ambiguous, esoteric prose. The parts that were intelligible, just didn't seem to hold wa
Axel
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first book I've read about dreams. Jung's knowledge of unconscious symbols and Alchemy is astounding, really I don't know someone could have all this information in their brain. Seeing how the dream series of his patient unfolds with Jung's analysis of them was very fascinating.
Rick
Jun 21, 2013 added it
lOTS OF PSYCHOLOGY, WHICH i have never been a big fan of, although I'm coming around some. This involves dreams and their interpretation. A lot of it is Jung's thoughts on what stuff means , symbolism,etc... which is certainly subject to interpretation. How much is he correct about?? Wh0 knows.

At least gives one basic tools to approach interpreting dreams.
Ryō Nagafuji
This was definitely not what I expected to find, and seemed to unravel a lot more like a very insightful class in Christian imagery, rather than anything else. Still, it provided a very intelligent and clear perspective on the importance of dreams, and I don't regret spending the time to read it, though I can't say it was the most invigorating read of my life.
Scott Forbes
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Scott by: Matt Nykodym
The best book on dreams for a beginner. Please read this. I don't want to spoil it, but it deals with multiple overlapping dream theories, including the everyman's ordinary conception of "compensation dreams."

Bridgett
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
More on Jung's archetypes and the conscious vs. unconscious relating to dreams. Familiar material, but still good.
anon

• Games People Play
  • The I Ching or Book of Changes
  • The Divided Self: An Existential Study in Sanity and Madness
  • The Double and The Gambler
  • The Culture of Narcissism: American Life in An Age of Diminishing Expectations
  • Kronika o našem Malom mistu
  • Dnevnik jednog penzionera
  • Step by Step - Stepinac & još mnoge popularne pjesme
  • Velo misto, drugi dil
  • Libar Miljenka Smoje
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, archeology, anthropology, l ...more