Start by marking “The Untold Story of the New Testament Church: An Extraordinary Guide to Understanding the New Testament” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  380 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A Masterpiece in Narrative Ecclesiology

Watch the New Testament come alive! Understand God's Word like never before!

The New Testament is often hard to understand. A major reason is because it is not arranged in chronological order. Paul's letters, for example, are arranged by size rather than chronologically. This makes the New Testament a bit like a Chinese puzzle! For thi
Published March 10th 2010 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Untold Story of the New Testament Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Untold Story of the New Testament Church

Renee
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, who knew the early church was so real and down to earth. Great book for helping to piece together the story of the Early Church in it's chronological order. Particularly like the sections where Viola paints the picture of what Ephesus, Corinth, Rome etc... were like to live in the 1st century. The power of the good news of the Kingdom of God was & is AMAZING and was the only thing that could band together rich, poor, merchant, slave, Jew, gentile, man & woman into one group - the ch ...more
Glesnertod
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-criticism
A good introduction to the chronological events of the first 40-50 years of the Church. It helped me place many of the lesser known Church planters in the context of Paul and Peters time. I would probably change the subtitle to, "An Introductory Guide to Understanding the NT".
Jbyanbroz142
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the title and sub-title say it all.
Bart Breen
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank Viola is a strong voice in the area of Organic Church and is perhaps best known for his book, Pagan Christianity. Many don't realize however, that Pagan Christianity?: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices is just one book in a complete series that Frank has put together that in a very deliberate way progress one upon the other.

Pagan Christianity?: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices is the second book in that series. This book, The Untold Story of the New Testament Church, i
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Ons beeld van hoe de evangelieën, Handelingen en de brieven van de apostelen zich tot elkaar verhouden, wat de context en dus herbruikbaarheid van teksten is en hoe de jonge kerk zich ontwikkelde, kan behoorlijk verstoord zijn. Invloeden zijn bijvoorbeeld het op de in de canon opgenomen volgorde van de boeken en brieven zijn (de brieven van Paulus zijn op lengte gesorteerd), de ellendige indeling in hoofdstukken, perikopen en verzen. Of het idee, dat alleen de Handelingen historie vertellen, en ...more
Mathias
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The current order of the books of the Bible is not in Chronological order. What happens when you read everything as they emerged? A story starts to unfold.
Johnnie
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on practical Christianity.
Bud Hewlett
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and enlightening history of the new testament.
Brandy Painter
This is an excellent extra resource for Bible study though the title is a bit deceiving. The story is not Untold because it is in the Bible. However this resource takes the letters of the New Testament and places them in chronological order using Acts and historical detail to fill in the background of each one. I have been using this book for Bible study for several months and will go through it again in a couple of years. Viola does, at times, make blanket statements that one must look into a b ...more
Robert
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
My currently favorite book regarding Christianity. Frank Viola does an impeccable job bringing the New Testament to life.

You may not know, but the books of the New Testament (and OT for that matter) are out of chronological order. Because of this, you cannot read the NT (or whole Bible) cover to cover like a novel, and expect it to make sense. Everything is out of order. Because of this, we too often read the Bible and only get small puzzle pieces instead of the whole and complete picture. Once
John
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has really helped me understand the bigger picture of just what it took for this new faith to grow and how it all fit together.
In The Untold Story of the New Testament Church, Frank Viola takes all the New Testament books and puts them in their proper chronological order, detailing the missionary journeys of Paul and how the early churches began. We get a first-hand "you are there" narrative, traveling with Paul on his journeys and feeling Paul's disappointments and his victories.
I wo
Jonathan Roberts
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2013
I found this book late in my study of the book of Acts, so I have not read every bit of this book but I was so impressed that I am going to go ahead at write this review and I will finish this book as I prep for next years class in the fall. Lots of good sources but the strength is how this book lays out the New Testament out chronologically. I teach Acts with the letters in chronological order so this book was invaluable to me.
Only wish I had found it sooner!
Dan
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblical-studies
This book just doesn't live up to all the hype. It is supposed to put NT into chronological order, linking up Acts with Paul's letters and whatnot. It doesn't do a very good job, and Viola can't help but slip his anti-institutional rhetoric in everywhere, even where it means disregarding the clear meaning of various passages.
Amaryah LaBeff
I haven't been this excited to read the Bible in a long time! This book goes through the New Testament chronologically, giving context for each book. I found myself re-reading each book of the NT through a brighter lens, with more understanding.
John Finkelde
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stellar book that ties together snippets of the NT in a way that will transform how you look at Paul's life. Only improvement would be better and more extensive footnotes, preferably on each page. Excellent read. A keeper.
Laura Rogers
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual-stuff
This is great for putting things into perspective in the New Testament. The way the Bible is put together is a bit mixed up - this takes the guessing out of when and where things are happening.
You can understand better the context of the writings.
Nice.
Ruben
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful love story that evades the human heart and makes room for Christ to emerge in all of his passion for mankind. A classic gem.
Tom
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good look at the history of the New Testament Church...
James
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good work. I highly recommend it.
Daniel
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book, with plenty of endnotes.
Chet Duke
This was an enjoyable read. I used it also as a tool for my church's class on Acts and the history of the early church. It reads like a narrative of the story of Acts, including various stops along the way to provide historical and cultural context as well as the production of NT epistles. This is ideal for someone teaching/studying the book of Acts in a Bible class setting.

Viola certainly put a great deal of work into citation and projecting various scenarios to account for the goings on in an
Lynn Smith
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes in reading the Bible, because it's not in chronological order, the meaning gets missed or there are seeming contradictions. Did you know, for example, that the books of the Apostle Paul which make up over 1/3 of the New Testament were placed in order from largest to smallest and not chronological order? This book helps put the New Testament in proper perspective. It tells the story of the New Testament in chronological order while also providing important historical context to the stor ...more
Sarah Tummey
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book if you're interested in going behind the scenes of the Bible. Chapters 6-12 are basically a retelling of the Biblical book of Acts, but I particularly liked chapter 13 where the author discussed what was happening in the various churches that necessitated the later New Testament letters. He makes a big thing of how this book puts the NT in its proper order, and he does do this well, but it would have been nice to have a chronological list of the books at the end for refe ...more
Jim
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A magnificent compendium to the New Testament

One of the first things we learn about studying the Bible is the need to have the historical an situational context. This is what is provided here in a straightforward and simple way. Many who read this book will have "ah ha" moments where they finally understand why a book is written the way it is, or why a concept or philosophy was presented. An excellent read for anyone serious about studying the Bible.
Marvin Breshears
Good background for new believer

If you like a Reader's Digest version of the scripture then this book is for you. 85 o/o of the book is of little value (other than the scripture it quotes) to the seasoned student of the Bible. There are a few tidbits towards the end of the book that are interesting and as such gives the book some value. Otherwise you would be better off spending your time reading the real Deal - God's Holy Word.
Biel
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank Viola writes a very comprehensive guide to the chronology of the New Testament. Basically, the book puts all New Testament events and works in chronological order and explains them. It chronicles the growth of the church under the ministry of Paul and puts in perspective many of his letters. It explains the purpose of the letters while giving a background of the areas to which he was writing to. In this book, I've learned more about the apostle Apollos than I've read anywhere else and I ap ...more
Beth Peninger
The Bible as most of us read it isn't in order of date written. Rather it is organized by length of books and a few other insignificant factors. So when it is read and studied sometimes, maybe more often than we realize, confusion ensues because things seem out of place or dates seem confusing, etc. What Viola does is give the reader a broad overview of the New Testament Church following the death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ. But he presents the overview in chronological order s ...more
Huggiworld
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Companion To Biblical NT Studies

This book is a great companion to Biblical NT studying. It provides scriptural historical content that helps to understand the time frame and setting with which the NT was written. A must read for any serious student.
Lorna
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love church history, this is the book for you. Reading about the events of the NT I'm chronological order, has opened my eyes to a better understanding of the trials that the church has gone through in her early beginnings. How the writers experienced such heartache and trouble as they spread the news of Jesus throughout the world. Sadly, not very much has changed in our world. The only reason the Church is still alive is beause of Christ. She's His Bride and He will take care of Her.
Kelly
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made the New Testament come alive. I appreciated all Mr. Viola's work to put the books in chronological order, give historical background, and provide maps and geographical information on all the cities mentioned in the NT! The people and relationships came alive as well. This book has made me enjoy my favorite Bible books many times more than I did before!
  • Jesus Manifesto
  • The Naked Gospel: The Truth You May Never Hear in Church
  • Body Politics: Five Practices of the Christian Community Before the Watching World
  • Created for Community: Connecting Christian Belief with Christian Living
  • Revolution
  • Chronological Study Bible: Explore God's Word In Historical Order- New King James Version (NKJV)
  • Paul's Idea of Community: The Early House Churches in Their Cultural Setting
  • The Kneeling Christian (Clarion classics)
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • Don't Just Stand There, Pray Something: The Incredible Power of Intercessory Prayer
  • Why Men Hate Going to Church
  • Experiencing God Through Prayer
  • Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free
  • The Compact Guide to World Religions
  • The Heart of Racial Justice: How Soul Change Leads to Social Change
  • Grace Walk: What You've Always Wanted in the Christian Life
  • Slaves, Women, and Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis
  • Foolishness to the Greeks: The Gospel and Western Culture

Hi Friends. I write books that seek to make the Bible come alive and throw fresh light on old or neglected subjects.

Here are my published books:

THE DAY I MET JESUS
REIMAGINING CHURCH
PAGAN CHRISTIANITY
FINDING ORGANIC CHURCH
THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE NT CHURCH

You can learn more about these books a
More about Frank Viola...