Start by marking “Pardon My French ” as Want to Read:
Pardon My French

Pardon My French

(Students Across the Seven Seas)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  985 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Nicole dreams of spending the rest of her life with her boyfriend Nate. So when she finds herself on her way to Paris to study abroad without him, she’s less than thrilled. Paris is filled with cars that move at the speed of light, edible snails, and a language that Nicole can’t speak or read. Worst of all, Nicole feels lost without Nate. She’s not sure ...more
Published November 3rd 2005 by Speak

To ask other readers questions about Pardon My French, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pardon My French

Ari
I read the summary and took note that Nicole did not want to go to France. I thought I would be ok with that. I wasn't, in fact, Nicole is one of the most annoying main characters I've come across. First of all, what an ungrateful brat. Her parents are PAYING for her to spend HALF A YEAR in PARIS. What an amazing opportunity, I would love to be offered the chance to do something like that. Nicole instead complains about not speaking the language, the scenary, the people, the metro (their subway ...more
Camille
Aug 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Currently, I want to reach into this book and slap this girl. I was curious about the series and decided to read this one about a girl in Paris for a semester, because I have first hand knowledge about the topic. Still reading.

Updated:
I guess I have just never been a fan of the self obsessed teenage girl genre. The main character whined and fretted so much about her boyfriend "Nate" that I could understand why her parents wanted to ship her off for a semester. As much as I admire the Naylor's
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
Yes, I realize these books are basically brain candy. But I like my brain candy to at least be entertaining. Pardon My French wasn't very entertaining. I was more interested in the main characters new friends than in the character herself! Never a good sign. This author wrote a few other S.A.S.S. books that I have really enjoyed, so this was a disappointment. The plot was predictable, although I give the author props for not falling *exactly* in line at the end. Hence, the two stars instead of o ...more
Rose
Aug 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: guilty-pleasure
Pretty fun to read, but not well written!
Jordan Clouse
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pardon my French was a really good book. It was very emotional and detailed. The book is very romantic and fun. It was sort of confusing but still good. I enjoyed the book a lot. I found it really cool how she used emails to contact her friends back in America.

Nicole the main character goes to France and some new things come into play. She gets stuck between two guys and one big change happened. She thought her life was ruined but her friends were there to comfort her.

I recommend this book onl
Penny
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Kind of fluffy even for something you know is going to be YA fluff, and the protagonist is unlikeable for a very long time. I started to sympathize with her and get into the story by the end, but then it started ramming the lesson down the reader's throat instead of revealing it in the characters. Of course, if the actual teen readers out there are anything like the protagonist, the sledgehammer approach is probably necessary!
Betty
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book opens my brain for internatonal themes
♡ ava jane ♡
i wish there was more! i want to know what will happen when she gets home!!!
Lana
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
it was just ok. Nicole was just very naive and came off a little whiney and stupid but overall a cute and easy read
Stephanie
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoys this book because it had a girl that went to Paris and found a cute French boy. They fell in love and it was very romantic.
Nia F. S. Kartadilaga
Pardon My French pada akhirnya mengajak pembaca untuk merenung, terutama jika berada di posisi yang sama dengan tokoh utamanya; di mana tokoh utama ini akhirnya menemukan zona nyaman dan menolak habis-habisan untuk keluar dari zona nyaman tersebut, bahkan sampai di taraf membela habis-habisan pula orang-orang yang terlibat di dalam kehidupan zona nyamannya dan menganggap semua sudah perfect -- tidak ada sedikit pun celah untuk melihat kejelekan. Ketika tokoh utama "dipaksa" untuk mau keluar dari ...more
Liralen
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
How do you say doormat in French?

I ran across this series on Goodreads and am now determined to Read It All, but it's probably just as well that this was not the first one I picked up.

Nicole, poor thing, has been banished to Paris for a semester by her heartless, unloving parents. The horror! I mean, what teenager would possibly want to spend a semester in Paris? Nicole just can't bear the thought of rude Parisians and culture and gross foods like gelato and Nutella crêpes, whatever they are.

Nic
Rebecca
Apr 12, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Armchair travelers, teen chick lit fans
This was one of those books where I spent most of the time wanting to just shake the main character. I think that was the point, though.

High schooler Nicole doesn't want to spend a semester in France - she just wants to stay home with her friends and plan how she is going to follow her boyfriend Nate wherever he goes to college. In fact, although she is surrounded by Paris museums, yummy crepe stands, and cool new friends at her international school, she continues to pine for Nate and his gramm
Alison Lin
This book was not very different from all the other teen gossipy books that are out there. The main character is Nicole. She joins the Students Across the Seven Seas (S.A.S.S) merely because she wanted to satisfy her parents. What she really wants to is to hang out with her friends and her perfect boyfriend , Nate.

Lilian
Jun 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book kind of disappointed me ALOT,i was expecting a kind of romantic kind of thing or happy ending at least
The first thing that annoyed me ALOT is the email messages.At first i thought only one of the characters were going to do the btw and fyi thing but it kinda annoyed me and it was kind of fake and unrealistic because not everyone does that and so i wasn't even bothered to read them.
The second ting that also annoyed me was how Nicole said 'goodbye' to Luc eveytime he asked here somethin
Ninglu
**spoiler alert**
Seventeen-year-old Nicole Larson enters the Students Across the Seven Seas program and goes to study in Paris, France.

She was, at first, thinking that Paris was just awful, and she goes to live in a place with younger kids and a "nanny" named Luc.

Nicole was also constantly staying in touch with her best friends, Annie, Zara, Patrice, and her boyfriend, Nate.

Then, she starts realized that she liked Paris a bit, and Luc.
***

I honestly count this book as fun, yet the last part of
Alissa
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
For what it was, I enjoyed it. And I liked the end when Nicole finds her own strength.

But for the most part, I just thought it was really weak. I don't think the story was developed enough and we doing see Nicole really developing as a character until the last 20 or so pages.

I found the emails between Nicole and her American friends to be painful, although that was probably because the author chose to write it in true teen text with 'u r rly qt' type phrasing.

I wanted to know more about her r
Deborah Fletcher
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was ok

I think that Nicole is really taking this chance to go to France for granted. I'm pretty sure that a lot of girls would kill to be in your position ( that includes me of course!). Nico
Istiningdyah
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, series
It's a reread for me. I sort of forget what really happened in the book.
Pardon My French is a fluffy contemporary YA book. I'm not particularly fond of the main character, Nicole. She seems unambitious and indecisive. Her life revolves around her boyfriend. It even looks like she lost her identity in the relationship, which is totally NOT okay. I understand her vision of her future before she went to Paris; that she just wants to get married and have kids with her high school boyfriend. I mean,
Anna Karras
Jul 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Arial Dawson
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Before finding this one in the library, I was completely unfamiliar with the S.A.S.S. series, but ever since I picked it up I have been seeing more and more of them.

Nicole is a very annoying main character. She constantly complains about studying in Paris. I could not at all understand her negativity. I’m a huge language lover and one of my biggest dreams is to study abroad. I wanted to shake Nicole until she realized how lucky she was.

Paris, where the novel obviously takes place, didn’t really
Catalina Sennett
Nov 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Nicole is sent to France through the SASS program, only thing is, she doesn't wanna go. She just wants to spend time at home with her three bffs and her hot boyfriend, Nate. I really didn't like Nicole, because she wasn't very appreciative of her trip. I would gladly go to France for a semester, regardless of who I had back home. Pshh. And than when her boyfriend makes a huge mistake, she seriously wants to forgive him and still cling to him, when there is a hot french guy practically throwing h ...more
Treasure
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Treasure by: A teen patron!
Shelves: teen-books, series
An empowering YA book about a girl who is sent to Paris for an exchange program, even though she wants to stay home with her boyfriend and friends. She learns that not all French people are rude, that French food is good, that the metro is manageable, etc. Along the way, she discovers that her boyfriend is not the end all be all and that she allows her friends to boss her around and define her. As an adult, I figured out where the book was headed pretty early on, but I would have gobbled it up a ...more
Ayana Aoki
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
French Nicole boyfriend studyabroad language friends dream

I liked the book very much. To read it,I thought that I have to experience many things that I have never done in my life. This story told me something that only teenage girls could understand. While I was reading the book,I felt that I want to help the heroine,Nicole many times! Especially, I liked the ending of the story.I would recommend the book,especially to teenage girls like me.

Q:Do you want to change yourself?
A:Yes,I want to chang
Fraffee
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me in more ways than one. I thought the beginning was total agony to read. I trudged on to read each chapter at the start - I was exhausted - but as I got to the middle, it got all better. I expected to see more of Paris instead of Nicole's groveling over Nate but it was fine in the end.

I thought the book was going to be a sappy love story but I was surprised because Nicole ended up having a journey to self-discovery, proving that being alone and single is not sad at all.

Ni
Rebecca
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I love Paris very dearly, but this book didn't do it justice. I found it hard to root for the main character, Nicole, who is loyal to her idiot of a boyfriend and doesn't even know what gelato is. However, it is easy to read which I like for bedtime when I can't afford to stay up late at night, and the appealing Luc character kept me interested, along with all the characters introduced in Paris. I just disliked that Nicole was presented as the stereotypical American tourist- uptight and not open ...more
Christine
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
"Pardon My French" was a very fun and flirtacious read. I am participating in a study-abroad program this summer, so found it (and the "Students Across the Seven Seas" series) very intriuging. The book tells the story of Nicole a attractive high school girl content living in small town America with her friends a boyfriend. Her parents send her unhapily to Paris in a quest to broaden her horizons. She evolves over the course of the book with help from an middle-aged Parisian women and handsome sp ...more
Arshia Zehra
Awesomely awesome book!....This book was the besht one i have read in the entire series!..This book gives such a great lesson tht i can't help loving et!..the lesson is jst soo amazing and tht is simply tht we should always have belief in ourselves....and we shld never let other ppl rule us..cuz thts jst nt fair!..ets our lives and it depends on us as how we live et!..This book is totally recommended to everyone!..:DD
Jenn
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Quick read that makes you want to slap the main character (for most of the book). I was going to give it two stars but I liked the idea of this book. I wish I could have had this girl's trip!

**SPOILERS, Kind-of**
* do not read more *
I don't particularly enjoy books where the main character is horrendous but yet everyone she meets falls for her (as a friend or more) because of her looks. Blah. Not a great message for young girls... **
Brooke
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute. Clean. This one wasn't as good as the last one I read... I can't remember the title, but it was about a girl who went on a marine biologist semester abroad.
Anyway, the girl was WAY obnoxious and it took WAY too much time for her to start caring about her own opinion and stop being bossed around. She complained about how she didn't like it, but oh my word, until the last chapter of the book she was still getting pushed around.
  • Spain or Shine
  • Now and Zen
  • The Great Call of China
  • When Irish Guys Are Smiling
  • Westminster Abby
  • The Traitor's Smile (Pimpernelles, #2)
  • The Silver Horse (The Chain of Charms, #2)
  • Who's Mandie? (Young Mandie Mystery, #1)
  • Postcards from France
  • Only in Spain: A Foot-Stomping, Firecracker of a Memoir about Food, Flamenco, and Falling in Love
  • Love, Football, and Other Contact Sports
  • Pride and Penalties
  • Friends with Benefits (Nannies, #2)
  • December Secrets (The Kids of the Polk Street School, #4)
Catherine (Cathy) Hapka has written more than one hundred books for children and adults, as a ghostwriter for series as well as original titles, including the Romantic Comedies Something Borrowed, The Twelve Date of Christmas, and Love on Cue. She lives in Pennsylvania.

Students Across the Seven Seas (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Westminster Abby
  • Girl Overboard
  • The Finnish Line
  • When Irish Guys Are Smiling

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Girl I Used to Be
    $7.80 $2.99
  • After the Woods
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)