Start by marking “The Crimson Bed” as Want to Read:
The Crimson Bed

The Crimson Bed

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
An enticing and original novel set agains the lush background of the Pre-Raphealite movement in the Victorian era and charting the loves, lives and losses of a circle of artists and their friends.
Published February 11th 2010 by Troubador Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Crimson Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crimson Bed

V.r. Christensen
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book provided a very interesting and thought provoking look into the lives of a Victorian couple and their checkered pasts. The novel takes place during the height of the Pre-Raphaelite movement in London, complete with its odd artistic characters who challenge modern morals.

Ellie and Fred are married, but they each harbour dark secrets neither has the courage to reveal. And yet these secrets, hidden for years, find their way to the surface. All actions have consequences, and sometimes the
Richard Abbott
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Crimson Bed, by Loretta Proctor, is a tale of romance and family life set around the fringes of the pre-Raphaelite artistic movement in England in the mid nineteenth century. As such, historical figures such as Rosetti, Ruskin and Millais hover in the background, while the book's focus is on those who circled around them, as artists, art lovers, dealers, or collectors. Art, whether painted or verbal, is central to the plot, along with the pretences that art thrives on, such as contemporary m ...more
Rebecca
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I became so entangled in the story and characters that I abandoned TV and other distractions in order to spend more time in the world of The Crimson Bed. One of the aspects that made me very happy was the believability. I'm a stickler for logic, no matter how outrageous the storyline: I must be able to think, "Yes, this is believable. I get it." The Crimson Bed never failed me. There were times when I wanted to shout "No!" but this reaction didn't come from disbelief or annoyance. On the contrar ...more
Mirella
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Crimson Bed sweeps readers deep into Victorian England. At the heart of this story is Fred Ashton Thorpe, a Pre-Raphaelite painter, and the woman he falls in love with and marries, Eleanor Farnham. Each has dark secrets they strive to keep hidden, but life has a way of forcing them out. And this is what happens with each turn of the page in this lush novel. Their love story is both highly romantic and devastatingly tragic.

There are several underlying themes running through the novel - the mo
Rosemary
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author knows so much about her subject and weaves this knowledge into the beautifully written finctional story. Her sense of history and her ability to make her readers equate (almost be there) with the era of the story. The characters are well drawn and totally believable. It's a great read and I totally recommend it to Goodread members.
Kimberly
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Author, Loretta Proctor explains the inspiration behind, ‘The Crimson Bed:’ ‘The Crimson Bed’ was inspired long ago by an unusual pencil drawing by D.G. Rossetti called ‘How They Met Themselves’. It shows an idealized couple (himself and Lizzie Siddal) meeting their ‘doppelganger’ in a dark wood. Rossetti drew this on their honeymoon, a strange foreboding of Lizzie’s eventual suicide'.

D.G. Rossetti's How They Met Themselves, 1864 (The Rossetti Archive)This picture has always held great fascinati
Jo Notary
354p Frederic Ashton Thorpe and his best friend, Henry Winstone, are artists immersed in the Pre-Raphaelite movement, with its yearning for romantic escape from the materialism of Victorian society. Seeing a half-finished portrait of the beautiful Eleanor Farnham at Henry 19s studio, Fred is fascinated and returns in order to meet her. He and Ellie fall in love and are married.
But every heart hides a secret and both Fred and Ellie have put certain events behind them 13 events that, if exposed,
Julia Bell
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit dubious about this story at first. I wasn't sure if I liked Ellie since she seemed to be a bit of a flirt and a bit shallow. But I grew to like her. The story kept picked up and I did love the ending when I discovered the fate of the bed. That was quite poignant.
Mindy Fields
Feb 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was an awful book! I don't even know what else to say but what a waste of time.
Nikki Hartline
A memorable story. It wasn't what I expected, but a good story nonetheless.
Rachel Logan
Jan 07, 2015
Amy
Jul 24, 2013
Loretta
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Erin
nikkia neil
Jul 11, 2014
Linda
May 13, 2014
Writing and book reading are in the blood. My great grandad used to travel around Turkey carrying a trunk full of his beloved books and during WW2, my Dad wrote 40 page letters in French to my Mother from the desert! So he might well have got round to a novel or two if he had lived long enough.

I gave up writing for years but have now resurfaced in my later life and published two books, written si
More about Loretta Proctor