Start by marking “The Wheels on the Bus” as Want to Read:
The Wheels on the Bus

The Wheels on the Bus

Librarian note: an alternate cover for this edition can be found here.

When The Wheels on the Bus, by Caldecott Medalist Paul O. Zelinsky, broke onto the scene back in 1990, it created a sensation with its clever characters, sly subplots, luscious colors, and the incomparable flair of its moving parts. Almost a million young readers have enjoyed the wheels that go round, do
Published September 15th 2015 by Dutton Books for Young Readers (first published October 25th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Wheels on the Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wheels on the Bus

Shirley Revill
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brilliant book for younger children. Recommended.
Carmine
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids and parents everywhere
I first read this in the 1990s when it came out, but appreciate it on a whole new level now.

We were given this pop-up book as a gift and in the last week it has become my 17 month old daughters OBSESSION. I read Wheels on the bus at least 30 times this weekend. We keep it up on a high shelf because it is a more delicate book and she will stand in front of the shelf and yell, "Bus! Bus! Bus!"

While I may be tiring of singing the song, I still love Zelinsky's illustrations. This maybe
Megan Gallagher
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Title: The Wheels on the Bus
Author: Paul O. Zelinsky
Illustrator: Paul O. Zelinsky
Genre: Toy or moveable book (repeated/patterned phrase)
Theme(s): Movement, People, Society, Singing, Sounds, Family, Bus and its their parts
Opening line/sentence: The wheels on the bus go round and round.
Brief Book Summary: This exciting, interactive story brings the reader through a bus ride. Each page introduces a new part of the bus along with a movement/sound that the bus does.
Professi
Autumn
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: song
1. Awards received: This book has received the Parenting Magazine Reading Magic Award and the Redbook Award.

2. Appropriate grade level(s): This book is appropriate for preschool to grade 2.

3. Summary: This book is based on the traditional song of “The Wheels on the Bus”. It is adapted and illustrated into an interactive book for young readers. Each page of the book introduces a new part of the bus along with the movement/sound that the bus does/makes. There are moveable p
Amanda Oquendo
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it

2. Grade Level(s): Preschool - Kindergarten

3. Summary: The book “The Wheels on the Bus” by Paul O. Zelinsky is a colorful story, that illustrates the lyrics to the classic children’s song The Wheels on the Bus. The book is interactive and has many movable parts throughout. As the characters are on a bus ride, the story discusses different parts of the bus and the noise each part make, which
Renee Lynn
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: songs
1. Awards: A Book-of-the-Month Club selection, Bratislava Biennale selection, Parenting Magazine Reading Magic Award, ALA Notable Book, and a Redbook Award.
2. Grade Level: Preschool to first grade
3. Summary: This song book demonstrates numerous people getting on the bus holding different things such as a guitar, a bird, a box, and bags. Pull-outs reveal different parts of the story. The song is about the bus going through town and at the end you can see the whole town.
4. Review: The pull
Francesca
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Wheels on the Bus by Paul Zelinsky
1. Awards: Parenting Magazine Reading Magic Award, ALA Notable Book, Redbook Award.
2. Grade Level: Pre K - 1
3. Summary: A classic song about a bus ride. This adaption has great illustrations with hidden gems all throughout.
4. Review: This book also featured movable parts and pop-ups which I really like for young students. As most of the lyrics are about movement it makes sense to show the movement in action.
5. In Class Uses:
1. Have
Gabriella Balbo
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A. N/A

B. PreK- 1st Grade

C. The Wheels on the Bus is a fun and catchy tune that has all the children singing about their transportation to school.

D. This song is great for educating young children about their ride to school by creating a positive picture regarding bus rides which can potentially be an overwhelming experience for some children. It does a great job using repetition, helping children with their memorization skills.

E. Transportation- This song helps educate
Book Format: hardcover
Reading Level: PreK-K 1-2, GR Level J
Genre: Fiction
Lit Requirement: engineered book

Summary:
The Wheels on the Bus goes along with the commonly known song. It goes through each part fo the song like the wheels on the bus go round and round. On that page, the wheels spin. Each page has a different kind of pull tab or other ways the page moves. The last page of the book shows all of the di
Taylor Ball
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Appropriate Grade Level: PreKindergarten-Kindergarten
Summary: There is a lot of commotion on the bus! Through the use of a song, "The Wheels on the Bus" goes through all of the sounds and actions that children may see on a bus. Paul O. Zelinsky provides interactive tabs throughout his songbook to enhance the visual component for the readers.
Review: I love this version of the wheels on the bus! Paul O. Zelinsky does an amazing job with making the book interactive! These components of the b
Lindsay
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
1. None
2. PreK-K
3. This book is a version of the classic song "The Wheels on the Bus," that features pop-up flaps and components.
4. I loved this book, ever since I was a child, because the song is a familiar one but the interactive nature of this particular copy was entertaining to read/play with. The illustrations are amazing and the tabs and flaps create a fun hands-on experience with reading.
5. This book would be better suited for either small groups or individual use.
Nancy Kotkin
Text: 3 stars
Art & Design: 5 stars

An interactive pull-tab / lift-the-flap picture book. The text is taken from the old children's song "The Wheels on the Bus," so it's nothing new. But it's the design of this book that makes it special. Little hands can push and pull, open and close, and watch those effects come to life before their eyes. The book is very delicate though. My library's copy is kept behind the desk and doesn't circulate, yet the pages are damaged. I imagine t
Bonnie
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Poetry- Single poem book
Awards: none
Audience: PreK-1st grade
A. This book is a nursery song that many children grew up singing. Song is a type of poetry that children often enjoy. The Wheels on the Bus has a familiar tune that all can sing along to.
B. This book uses repetition to engage the young readers. It repeats a line 4 different times which allows children to catch on quickly.
C. Create a new lyric to The Wheels on the Bus. The people on the bus say "This is fun, t
Siskiyou-Suzy
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How utterly precious. My grandma gave this to me recently, as it was one of my childhood books. I would not have recalled it, however, just from the cover. It was the wheels on the first page I remember. And how precious that I have this again.

I'm of a mixed mind when it comes to interactive books for children. On the one hand they're awesome and I love them. On the other hand they are almost always destroyed by clumsy hands. Somehow, mine is still mostly intact.

Thanks, g
Haylieboyer
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: friends
As all young children learn or listen to this book it may be helpful for older children. Once children are done with prek they begin to ride the big bus all by themselves. hey may be very nervous going to a new school and being on a bus with know one you know. This familiar book/song may help some fears.
Brianna Knight
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery-rhymes
The book is for Pre-K through Kindergarten.
The book covers the song The Wheels On The Bus.
The book is a pop up book which truly holds children's attention and is fun to touch.
I'd use the book to sing the song but also to cover how you should interact with your books. How you would hold a book, how to gently turn pages as well as play with the pop ups.
Danielle Andino
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery
Grade level(s): PreK-2
Summary: Enjoy this classic book that millions of readers have enjoyed! The wheels that go round, doors that open and shut, people who go up and down!
Review: This is such a classic. The illustrations are fun, vibrant, and enjoyable.
Uses: Music time in the classroom.
kim
cute version with movable parts, but it's a little hard to read the text and the parts aren't easy for a toddler to manipulate themselves
Johanna Cormier
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We had this book in the preschool creche I managed and I loved it so much I later bought a copy for my own. Wonderful pop-up.
Brenda
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the version with pull tabs or windows on each page that reveal the action of each verse. I sang it to my Grands. It wasn't possible for me to just read it. The music is on the back cover.
Homegrown Reader
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
When I say that we read The Wheels on the Bus everyday, I am not exaggerating. EVERY SINGLE DAY. The binding has begun wearing out and has had to be reinforced because when we read it, it’s usually more than once. I thank the stars above though, that we have the Paul O. Zelinksy version because that is how I’ve kept my sanity.I would challenge anyone to find a better version of The Wheels on the Bus. There aren’t just flaps to lift on each page, oh no. There are wheels to turn, doors to open, ri ...more
Theresa
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
1. There was no award for this book.
2. The appropriate grade level for this book is preschool to second grade.
3. This engaging book has a bus going around town just like the song, "Wheels on the Bus." It has many tabs for the child to pull and flaps to lift. This book also gives a child an idea of possible sounds he or she can hear on the bus.
4. This book would be very addicting to young children because of all the hand movements the child needs to pull the tabs and making the
Janna
This is an interactive book filled with tabs to pull and flaps to lift for children to see movement in the pictures. The wheels turn round and round, the door opens and shuts, the windows go up and down, the wipers go swish back and forth, the babies look like they are crying, and so forth. The story comes alive when the pictures can move to show the action on each page. The shapes are generally drawn with rounded lines and not perfectly straight edges. This adds to the feeling of chaos on the b ...more
Maggie Sideris
Jun 02, 2016 added it
Title: The Wheels on the Bus
Grade Level: Preschool-first grade
Summary: This book is about the song 1CThe Wheels on the Bus 1D. It is an interactive book with moving parts that goes through all the sounds that you may hear when riding the bus.
Review: This is a great book for really young children because it has moving parts that interpret what the words are saying. I like how at the end of the book it has the actual song with the notes, so if a child knows how to play an instrument,
Andre
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, kids
The wheels on the bus go round and round, and in this book of movable parts they actually do...unless the bus is subject to a Godzillian attack from my 1-year-old daughter. In which case the wheels on the bus are torn from the axle and teethed upon with furious anger. Later Zelinsky errors when he says the Babies on the bus go Waah Waah Waah. it is my experience that it is the Mommies on the bus that go Waah Waah Waah. I am not sure if this was an oversight or artistic license on the part of Zel ...more
Marianne Orton
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a pop up version of the classic children's song, and it's the cutest book ever! My favorite is the page with the crying babies and the shushing mammas. One of the Moms puts a binky in and out of the crying baby's mouth. This book will put a smile on parents' faces, not just the kids'.

This is definitely a book to keep on the top shelf because you don't want the pop ups to get ruined. Also, I think this might be out of print, which would be a huge shame. I was able to find it used on amaz
Erin
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is by far my 18-month-old son's current favorite. He carries it with him everywhere, and will grab any available adult by the pantleg in an attempt to get them to read it...AGAIN. My 3-year-old loves the book as well. He loves to sing the song and "read" to his little brother. It's such a fun book with a great song and fantastic (and pretty durable) moving parts.

If you like the book, check out Scholastic's video version of the book (with the Bacon Brothers singing the song). It'
Julia Jeon
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: songs
When The Wheels on the Bus, by Caldecott Medalist Paul O. Zelinsky, broke onto the scene twelve years ago, it created a sensation with its clever characters, sly subplots, luscious colors, and the incomparable flair of its moving parts. Almost a million young readers have enjoyed the wheels that go round, doors that open and shut, and people who go bumpety-bump. Today it remains as fresh and engaging as when it was first published.

The book is a great way for students to visualize the
Camille
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-bks
This is a perfect lapsit sing-along book, but that's about all I'd use it for. The pictures are too detailed for a larger audience storytime and the movements made by pull tab thingees are just too small for a group to be able to see, sing and read-along at the same time.
But its perfect just to sit with a child nearby or in your lap to laugh at all the funny faces and silly movements and how the words aren't just left-to-right/up-t-down, but all over the page.
Katie O'brien
This is such a classic children's book and I think every kid should read this book at least once. The interactive pages are so fun for kids and the rhyming sing-song tone of the book is very memorable. I still remembered the words to it before I re-read it again. This book can definitely be incorporated into a younger class because it is such a classic and kids like it so much. The interactive pictures engage children and keep them interested.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Dirty Bertie
  • Mr Archimedes' Bath
  • The Magic Hat
  • Goodnight, Me
Born 1953

Paul O. Zelinsky grew up in Wilmette, Illinois, the son of a mathematics professor and a medical illustrator. He drew compulsively from an early age, but did not know until college that this would be his career. As a Sophomore in Yale College he enrolled in a course on the history and practice of the picture book, co-taught by an English professor and Maurice Sendak. This expe