Start by marking “Management Challenges for the 21st Century” as Want to Read:
Management Challenges for the 21st Century

Management Challenges for the 21st Century

Peter F. Drucker discusses how the new paradigms of management have changed and will continue to change our basic assumptions about the practices and principles of management. Forward-looking and forward-thinking, Management Challenges for the 21st Century combines the broad knowledge, wide practical experience, profound insight, sharp analysis, and enlightened common sens ...more
Published June 26th 2001 by HarperBusiness (first published January 1st 1998)

Marko Suomi
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-2018
Yleissivistävä, terävä, oivaltava, hauska ja yllättävän ajankohtainen kirja (vuodelta 1999), joka johtamisen sijaan käsitteli isoja yhteiskunnallisia muutoksia tulevaisuudessa.
Raj Makaram
I feel the most important factor for me to buy/read this book was the fact, it was written by Drucker, whom some refer to as the father of modern management, and the tittle was about the future challenges. And also, my “initiation” to this book through the pre-published version of Chap 6 in HBR.

Now, I beg to differ from many that have to say this book is easy to understand. This was one of the few books that I had to try vv. hard to keep my “flow” and concentration. One reason, I could attribut
Tom Ryker
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Peters concept of the "knowledge worker" in the 21st century. I have managed developers, engineers, and product managers most of my adult life, and this book helped me understand why they do the things they do, and what motivates them.

This is a great read.

Tom Ryker (author - http://tomryker.com/)
John
Jun 13, 2009 added it
Excellent, high level overview of the upcoming challenges of management worldwide.
Jimmy
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 6-management
Amazing! I don't believe Drucker wrote this back in 1999, seems even more relevant today, and he seems to understand that redefining tasks lead to institutional change. This is going to be my favorite Drucker quote.

"So far, for fifty years, Information Technology has centered on DATA -their collection, storage, transmission, presentation. It has focused on the 'T' in 'IT'. The new information revolutions focus on the 'I'. They ask, 'What is the MEANING of information and its PURPOSE?' And this
Elizabeth Schlatter
My first "Drucker," so I didn't know what to expect. He's spot on with the knowledge worker concepts and how different these types of jobs and careers are turning out as opposed to 20th-century models. I didn't fully understand some of the accounting/financial management content, but I really enjoyed it when Drucker pulled in historical examples of companies and global leaders. He's got a weird editing/layout style, like some paragraphs are indented and some words in all caps, couldn't quite fig ...more
Craig
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have to rate this as a 5 again for Drucker. Peter Drucker is visionary and intuitively prophetic in his style and arguments. I often find myself being mildly amazed by the strongly relevant perceptiveness he brings out in his writing and wishing I were able to have such insight and perspicacity in my own reasoning and thinking. As I alluded to with the other Drucker book I reviewed on this website (The Essential Drucker), I think he is worth reading even if you are not very interested in manag ...more
Ahmed Tarek
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
بصراحة انا استمتعت جدا بالكتاب هو علمنى اية اولا ان المجتمع الاقتصادى الرأسمالى هينهار و هيحل محلها العامل المعرفى
ثانيا ان الانسان دايما بيختار ومهنته فى سنة المراهقة و غالبا بتكون غلط ف الافضل ان الواحد يشتغل فى حاجات كتيرة و منها يقدر يعرف ايه هى مصادر قوته مش العكس
ثالثا الموظف لازم تتعامل معاه ع اساس ان المهمة هى اللى بتقود الموارد البشرية
و ان الادارة مش بس للاعمال التجارية و اهم حاجة تقدير العميل للمنتج حتى لو كان رخيص و لا يوجد.شى اسمه الاستحواذ
على شركة لانها سوف تؤدى الى كوارث بتحمل كل
Tirath
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
The last chapter on managing oneself is very good.
Crux of the book - - - over the past few years, and especially over the coming years, the nature of work is changing.

Knowledge workers, flexible work, difficult to measure work, the role of the boss and subordinate, loss of manual labour, and the importance of managing oneself to become better at work and life.

The current structure of most organisations is based on the factory work and the office work - and that foundation is changing.

Difficult
Bj_sojourner
I had managed a small team of developers in IT department. It was a little overwhelming and I didn't quite enjoy it. The management concepts covered in this book are still eye opening to me. I wish I had read this book five years ago. Maybe I could be a better manager or have chosen a different career path.

The best part of this book I think is 'The Second Half of Your Life' in Chapter 6. Managing Oneself. It is something I can apply to my life now.

Great book!

Danijel Brestovac
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
DRUCKER, Peter F. Management challenges for the 21 st century. Ljubljana: GV ZALOŽBA. 2001. ISBN 86-7061-248-8.

Str. 72- strategija pomaga podjetju, da namensko išče priložnosti.

str. 77- prvo vodilo v zvezi s spreminjanjem mora biti torej organizirano opuščanje preteklosti v celotni organizaciji.

str. - 83: naslednje vodilo...je organizirano izboljšanje.
FAISAL ALMULLA
Nov 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
كنت متشوق لقراءة خلاصة عطاء العالم بيتر دروكر في كتابه تحديات الإدارة إلا أن اسلوب السرد والتفصيل الممل يحول بينك وبين ما تريده وما تتوقعه من الكتاب، كثير ما يذكر شركة جينيرال موتورز كمثال في التحديات الإدارية، وقليلة تلك المواضيع التي تشد الإنتباه كالإدارة الذاتية ونماذج الإدارة الجديدة وضف عليها إدارة النصف الثاني من العمر .
Micke Sandlin
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Bra Peter Drucker-bok där han tittar in i framtiden för att se hur ledarskap behöver förändras. Nu skrevs den 2000 och utgångspunkten nu 2017 är annorlunda. Men boken tittar också bakåt för att kunna se framåt. Som med alla Drucker-böcker vimlar det av exempel från affärsvärlden både positiva sådana och negativa.
Alexis Martin
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essai
A book written for thought. As written by Peter Drucker this book does not present any definitive truth, but only tracks for thinking. Ideas are bright and still valid 10 years after writing.

On tghe downside, it has the taste of something not complete.
Maybe due to its translation in French, language is sometimes awkward, sentences are not really fluid.

Cenk Tekin
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Müthiş bir öngörü ile yazılmış bir kitap. Yılar önce bugünün bu kadar iyi tahminlenmesi Drucker in ne kadar iyi bir yönetici ve stratejist olduğunu gösteriyor. İş hayatının her seviyesindeki kişiler tarafından okunmali.
Brittany
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was assigned in an Advanced Topics Project Management class in my grad certificate program for PM. It wasn't completely miserable, but the new certainties were not as profound as I would expect from the text. Maybe this one went over my head but most of it was dull reading.
Davor
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, it is a classical Drucker book, it just isn't really so interesting. I mean it has some really interesting chapters and it does have some good knowledge. However, a lot of time the same things are repeated in multiple chapters and the writing becomes stale. He has had better books.
Chatgemini
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book. The ideas are not new but the context is. And Drucker explains it all in simple sentences, with relevant real life examples and drives home the points very effectively as always. A must read for all modern day mangers in all spheres of social activity.
Mamoon Staya
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book that may save your career
Dwight Walker
Very insightful re career transitions etc by famous management author. It gives big picture of change management and works from world issues down to individual.
Ahmed Qadir
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
My key lesson from this: prepare an alternative career. Don't get bogged down in loyalty to your employer.
Krishna
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the classic book in Management. In this book Peter Drucker explains about the challenges that Managers/Executives can face in a broad sense. Must read.
Michael Bond
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
A whole book of filler.
Brooke
Mar 20, 2008 added it
Why the hell am I reading this?
Aidas Mackevičius
Shay
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty much a classic in its area, as is most of Drucker's work.
Arka Sain
Dmitry Kuriakov
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
Книга Питера Друкера «Менеджмент. Вызовы XXI века» как и другая его книга, выпущенная тем же издательством МИФ и с точно такой же обложкой, являются наверно одними из самых лучших вводных курсов для такого направления как «менеджмент». Друкер в понятной, простой и интересной форме изложил многочисленные темы современного менеджмента, снабдив всё это различными примерами из истории бизнеса и политики. А также задал направления для дальнейшего изучения (дискуссии), и для дальнейшей работы над сами ...more
leadership 1 7 Nov 14, 2009 07:55AM

• Inside Drucker's Brain
  • The Strategy-Focused Organization: How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Business Environment
  • Unusually Excellent
  • The 20% Doctrine: How Tinkering, Goofing Off, and Breaking the Rules at Work Drive Success in Business
  • Get Rich Click!: The Ultimate Guide to Making Money on the Internet
  • Thinking for a Living: How to Get Better Performances and Results from Knowledge Workers
  • The Tom Peters Seminar: Crazy Times Call for Crazy Organizations
  • The Masters of Private Equity and Venture Capital: Management Lessons from the Pioneers of Private Investing
  • The One Minute Manager Balances Work and Life
  • The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook and Companion: A Guide to Understanding Your Expertise
  • Raising Venture Capital for the Serious Entrepreneur
  • The Great Reset: How New Ways of Living and Working Drive Post-Crash Prosperity
  • How to Drive Your Competition Crazy: Creating Disruption for Fun and Profit
  • Enterprise 2.0: How to Manage Social Technologies to Transform Your Organization
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Maslow on Management
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Career Warfare: 10 Rules for Building a Successful Personal Brand and Fighting to Keep It
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only writer ...more
“In actual practice this distinction makes no sense whatever. An enterprise, whether a business or any other institution, that does not innovate and does not engage in entrepreneurship will not survive long.” 0 likes