Start by marking “Just Like Jesus: Learning to Have a Heart Like His” as Want to Read:
Just Like Jesus: Learning to Have a Heart Like His

Just Like Jesus: Learning to Have a Heart Like His

In his best-selling book Just Like Jesus, Max Lucado explains that God loves you just the way you are . . . but He refuses to leave you that way. Why? Because our ultimate goal should be a life that is just like Jesus. And with determination, faith and God's help, we can all change for the better, no matter how long the bad habits have settled in. The reputation and ...more
Published February 10th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Just Like Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like Jesus

Start your review of Just Like Jesus: Learning to Have a Heart Like His
Jerry
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent look at what it means to truly live like Jesus. I particularly liked the story about where the phrase "face the music" came from.
Joel
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I loved this book. I can't stand Christian preachers/writers/friends who pretend that now they have Christ they never had a previous life and temptations. I often think we can be in denial as to who we are and how we are made. This book reminds its reader of that in a lighthearted way. If you are a Christian who is struggling with try to stay in the light, then read this. You will feel better about who you are and laugh at what you do. I found that while I was trying to be faithful to my faith ...more
Barry Smith
Apr 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
God loves you just as you are, but refuses to leave you that way. He wants you to be …JUST LIKE JESUS, is the longer than typical title of a book by popular Christian author Max Lucado (Word Publishing, Nashville, 1998). Lucado’s book is about a topic that is central to recovery – change.
Have you ever wondered what God’s will is for you life? According to the Apostle Paul God’s will for you is to be “conformed [or changed] to the image of his Son” (Rom. 8:29). In other words, God wants you to
Demiee Grace
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: my friends
Recommended to Demiee by: Holy Spirit :D
This book is all about, transforming into the image of Christ. Jesus is the perfect example. He had no guilt, no bad habits, no fears, no anxiety and no sin. God wants us to be the same. God wants us to be like Him and have a heart like His.
Jesus has a forgiving heart. He forgives everyone. The Lord wants us to bear with one another and forgive others as He forgave us. A compassionate heart, Jesus showed compassion on the one’s who people disliked. He intentionally reached out to those in need
Loraine Alcorn
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was able to read Just Like Jesus By Max Lucado through book sneeze and I really loved it . This is such a great book and Max is really at his best and most helpful.
I Have read many a book by Max Lucado and they are always so good and so uplifting that I re-read them all the time. Just Like Jesus By Max Lucado is going to be one I treasure always.

What I really like about Max is his ability to really get to the heart of an issue and apply humor to it in a way we can all relate to. This book as
Mary Ladrick
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just Like Jesus written by Max Lucado was a great easy read! I highly recommend this to anyone interested in learning about how to be just like Jesus. Each chapter starts with a relevant verse from the bible, a personal experience from Lucado and exploration of a particular theme. The themes included forgiveness, compassion, listening, contact with God, worship, focusing on Jesus, honesty, the mind, finding hope, heaven and finishing the journey strong. There are questions at the end to reflect ...more
Arlene
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful :) :) :) :) And inspiring!!!!
Lisa
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Today I am reviewing Just Like Jesus by Max Lucado. I will be the first to admit I am not a big Lucado fan, in fact it took me several days to read the first 3 pages of this book. In order to write an honest review I knew it would require me to actually read the book, so I trudged on. Much to my surprise just a few short pages later I found I did not want to lay Just Like Jesus down! The chapters were short and pretty concise making the 12 chapters a quick read.
I enjoyed the theme of each
Marquis Walker
Feb 12, 2015 added it
Shelves: done
This book is a blessing to me. The Max Lucado really took the time to really paint a picture of what it would be like to be like Jesus. The book challenged me on so many different levels. The There are so good lesson through out the whole book, but the one that stuck to me like glue is when Max asked me, "What if you had a normal day, but with the heart of Jesus. Would their be something about you different that people notice?" He went deep in to detail. I really enjoyed it.
Melissa
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010s
A great book, I need to read it again and do the Bible study along side it. This was my first Max Lucado book.
Ruci Tukana
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lord, May I be like You!
Christy
Nov 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Listened to audio book. I'm always inspired by Max Lucado.
Kris
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Where did we get the idea we can't change? ... If our bodies malfunction, we seek help. Shouldn't we do the same with our hearts? (p4-5)

Behold the gift Jesus gives his followers! He knows what these men are about to do ... By morning they will bury their heads in shame and look down at their feet in disgust. And when they do, he wants them to remember how his knees knelt before them and washed their feet. (p19)

Relationships don't thrive because the guilty are punished but because the innocent
Robert Ssempande
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
In this book Max teaches us how to develop a heart like Jesus’.

He takes us through different aspects of Jesus’ heart (in order to show us who we are) and how He displayed them in various instances in the Bible. He calls us to yield to our heavenly Father (through personal communion with Him) to transform us into the same likeness as Jesus.

This book is as potent as all books about Jesus and His gracious loving nature are, but its peak moments are when Max manages to whet our appetite for God,
Kory
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucado is such a comfort read, and in a good way. He is sincere, loving, and encouraging. There is an adoration of Jesus that always glows in anything that he writes, and I appreciate the positivity of that influence.

Just Like Jesus gives a restful look at the Savior, not steeped in analysis. As you read, you simply enjoy who Jesus is in Scripture, soaking up his presence, reminded of his love and his exemplary life.

Twenty years later, this book does feel dated but not made brittle with age. I
June Proudfoot
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GRIPPING

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and love the way Max Lucado writes confirming what he says by scripture. The only down side were the questions at the back. I feel there were far too many. I started answering them but soon became tired as I logged through each one. I can understand why they were written but wonder if there will be many who will give up as I have. I would have preferred more reading than the home work that followed. I would definitely recommend the book as his illustrations
Cynthia
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I find so much inspiration from Lucado’s writings. His message is powerful, cuts to the heart of Christianity and is simple. God wants the same relationship with us as he had with Jesus, and he wants us to be just like Jesus. We will never succeed of course, but the Christian path means we are working every day to draw nearer to him and be like Jesus to experience the joys of being in communion with him.
Diane Ritter
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It’s filled with so much incredible insight and encouragement! “God loves you just the way you are, but He refuses to leave you that way. He wants you to be JUST LIKE JESUS.”

I was going to give this book to my daughter when I was finished, but decided that I didn’t want to give it up, so I’m buying her a copy instead! Might get one for my church library too if we don’t already have it!
Teri Reck
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another beautifully written book by Max Lucado. As he puts it, " God loves you just the way you are, but he refuses to leave you that way. He wants you to be just like Jesus." God wants us to give up our sinful ways and become Christ-like --not in order to save ourselves, which is impossible. But because Christ already has saved us and His way is a better way. Worth reading!!
Nikki
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. The message behind the whole book of trying to become more and more like Jesus was really well put and all the chapters had great points. I would definitely recommend this book to Christians who need encouragement on their walk with Christ and who need help becoming more and more like Jesus and finishing their Christian race.
Diana Shaffner
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
What a role model to aspire to be like! 'Just like Jesus' is a simple yet powerful book to inspire the reader to aim high in shaping one's own self. Even if we never actually attain the goal, the path is the destination.
Claudia
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"God loves you just the way you are, but he refuses to leave you that way. He wants you to be... Just Like Jesus." Lucado looks at all the ways Jesus related to people and teaches us how to do the same. If someone deeply examined our lives, would they see Jesus?
Danny Theurer
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I've read a good bit of Lucado's works and, unfortunately, Just Like Jesus is probably lowest on my chart of his books. Of course, there are plenty of bright spots here and there, but nowhere near the level of what Lucado has done in his other books.
Libby
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good devotional
Johannes Nilsson
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Didn't quite get a chance to read exactly all of it, but most. Lovely reflections on what it means to live like Jesus did and preached.
Leanne Seidelman
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Learning to live to be "Just Like Jesus." Not such a bad way to live out your life!!
Johnny G
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed every second! Recommend!
Karen
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. My husband and I choose this book as our nightly devotional. A must read again for ya and this time will do the study guide too!!!
Pat Willey
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome read. Very challenging lots of life lessons in this book. Wonderful
Phyllis
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: faith, christian
Written in a warm and conversational style, this book is encouraging and engaging.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• What's So Amazing About Grace?
  • The Life You've Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People
  • Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God
  • If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat
  • The Passion of Jesus Christ
  • Where Is God When It Hurts?
  • Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home
  • Life Application Study Bible: NIV
  • Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Workbook
  • The Prayer of Jabez:  Breaking Through to the Blessed Life
  • Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: What Happens When God's Spirit Invades the Heart of His People
  • Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist
  • The God Chasers: "My Soul Follows Hard After Thee"
  • How to Listen to God
  • The Jesus I Never Knew
  • More Than a Carpenter
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

“When my daughter was a toddler, I used to take her to a park not far from our apartment. One day as she was playing in a sandbox, an ice-cream salesman approached us. I purchased her a treat, and when I turned to give it to her, I saw her mouth was full of sand. Where I had intended to put a delicacy, she had put dirt.

Did I love her with dirt in her mouth? Absolutely. Was she any less of my daughter with dirt in her mouth? Of course not. Was I going to allow her to keep the dirt in her mouth? No way. I loved her right where she was, but I refused to leave her there. I carried her over to the water fountain and washed out her mouth. Why? Because I love her.

God does the same for us. He holds us over the fountain. "Spit out the dirt, honey," our Father urges. "I've got something better for you." And so he cleanses us of filth; immorality, dishonesty, prejudice, bitterness, greed. We don't enjoy the cleansing; sometimes we even opt for the dirt over the ice cream. "I can eat dirt if I want to!" we pout and proclaim. Which is true—we can. But if we do, the loss is ours. God has a better offer.”
346 likes
“God rewards those who seek Him. Not those who seek doctrine of religion or systems or creeds. Many settle for these lesser passions, but the reward goes to those who settle for nothing less than Jesus himself. And what is the reward? What awaits those who seek Jesus? Nothing short of the heart of Jesus.” 105 likes