Start by marking “Finding Elliot (Men of Riverside, #1)” as Want to Read:
Finding Elliot (Men of Riverside, #1)

Finding Elliot

(Men of Riverside #1)

Book one in the Men of Riverside Series After five years of forced separation David was determined to find Elliot again but what he gets isn t the closure he was hoping for...After yet another unsatisfying one-night stand David Lear decides it's finally time to find his former lover Elliot Watkins. He needs closure before he can move on. He is still angry at the man for ne ...more
Published November 22nd 2010 by Total-E-Bound Publishing (first published November 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Elliot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Elliot

Nic
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story which tells the tale of David finding Elliot. David and Elliot were in love as teenagers but separated when Elliot's father catches them kissing and moves Elliot away. Years later, David decides to find the man that he has never stopped loving. He is looking for answers and closure.

I found Elliot a little hard to warm to. I thought him cowardly and his explanations for the separation didn't seem to justify his actions. It is only further into the story that his behaviour bec
Serena Yates
Aug 02, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: gay, written-by-me
This is the first book in my new Men of Riverside series, and the tenth book I have published.

Finding Elliot kicks off the adventures of a group of men who all went to the same high school in the fictional town of Riverside, Texas. Not all of them know they are destined to be couples. Some of them believe they are only friends. Circumstances and life separate them, sometimes for several years. But luck, determination and love will help them get the reunions they deserve.

This first volume is abo
Jade Archer
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
'Finding Elliot', the first book in Serena Yates new series 'Men of Riverside', is an emotionally engaging reunion story that sucks the reader in right from the very start. With great character development, excellent writing and a plot that keeps you wanting to know more, this book was a thoroughly enjoyable read I recommend you start only when you've finished all other commitments and settled down for an early night of guilt free reading pleasure...because you won't want to put it down!

While th
Jess
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5% from me

Hard to rate as I have mixed reactions to the book.

On one hand it was sweet and a fairly simple plot. I really liked David and the other secondary characters at Riverside. I even want to read the second book in the series to see how his friend works out his past tragedy.

But on the other hand I couldn't bring myself to like Elliot.

The author gave plenty of reasons for why Elliot was spineless for 5 years. But I felt that Elliot lacked an element of emotional pain that kept me from tru
Ami
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I am contemplating between 3.5 and 4 stars for this. On the plus side, this is probably my favorite story of Serena Yates yet (duly noted, I have only read 4 books so far, including this one) because (1) It deals with the "one who gets away" theme -- which always guarantee a more intense emotion and (2) There an actual build up towards the love making. I love those two factors. Because of their 'history' David and Elliot's love making becomes more emotional manifestation than just mutua
Karen K
Elizabeth Besenfelder
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. I always cry a little when reading one of Serena's stories, and not in a bad way. Her characters always have their obstacles to overcome, some more heart breaking than others. But witnessing the characters coming together in a story that is well written, makes for a compelling read that will be re-read many times over. I cannot wait for the next story in the series.
Yvonne
May 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m
It was so mind numbingly cliche ridden it was almost painful to get through this one. YMMV
Arthur
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy reading m/m romance between childhood friends. There is a sense of 'innocence' between the characters. In some books, the relationship (either as best friends or lovers) goes on; in others, the relationship is cut off abruptly (usually over family's disapproval). This book is the latter one.

I like this book because the characters decide to pursue the relationship despite being separated for five years. Yes, there are misunderstandings which lead to 'fights', but those are solved i
Arzu
Sep 08, 2010 rated it liked it
5 years ago David and Elliot were separated in a very aggressive way, leaving the teenagers hurt and alone, without giving them the chance to say goodbye. Now, 5 years later, David decides to find Elliot, so he can go on with his life. The whole finding, meeting, making love, and again the brutal interference of Elliot's father is beautiful but heartbreaking at the same time.

To rate this one is difficult. I love Serena Yates' books and her books always make me smile. Finding Elliot is not diffe
Lena Grey
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
While 'Finding Elliot' by Serena Yates is a touching and romantic love story, it is also a study of David's and Elliot's character. One of the biggest factors determining behavior is how a person perceives himself. It is helps define how one interacts in any given situation.

In David's case, he's strong, self-assured and determined to live life on his own terms. He doesn't give up even when the odds are against him. Whatever the consequences, David is prepared to deal with them.

Elliot, on the ot
Ana
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
well, I tried to read the book and... I couldn't finish it. My computer shut down and I was like "thank god I love u, love u, love u with all my heart". I was so set to read it till the end 'cause I've been putting too much books down lately and i was so relieve that I wouldn't have to finish it. The story isn't bad, I have no big complain about it. It's just that for a book under 100 pages it was long. Yep, don't know how to explain that one but it was too long,too slow, too whatever... At page ...more
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
The story covers a period of 17 days beginning with 1 January 2008 when David Lear has an embarrassing moment with a one-night stand and decides it time to learn what became of the love of his life after they were parted five years earlier. When David finds Elliot in Boston, Elliot struggles to cope, and David returns home to Riverside, Texas, alone.
While Elliot is twenty-two years old, he seems much younger, which is not surprising given that his parents treat him like a child and are hell bent
Justina Johnson
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Melora
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2011
I liked it, but I also had some problems with it. David kept saying how much he cared for Elliot, but he didn't seem to be able to demonstrate that emotion. He was mostly bluster with no real bite. Elliot was too much like a shell of a person. Everything about him has been repressed and trampled upon. I can see where finding each other again would bring about great changes to their lives, but it seemed like everything happened at once instead of letting it evolve naturally. An interesting start ...more
Duck
I think I'm in the minority here, but I could not connect with this book. Clichés ran rampant and the characters were completely unbelievable. (A father is so concerned about his son being gay that he and a few hired commandos break into a hotel room where he immediately starts spouting things like 'faggot asses', 'perverted behaviour' and 'abominations'.) This just wasn't for me.
Marsha Spence
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it and will get the rest of the series as well.
Ter
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Nice start to a new series. Would like to see a little more of them in the future. And how things work out for them.
Great read!
Lavinia Lewis
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really sweet story. David and Elliot were perfect for each other and it was great to see them reconnect after the time they spent apart. I'm looking forward to the next books in the series.
Ashley
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Very good series - so far there is only two titles in the series, but what I can tell, it is going to grow! It is a quick read, but a good read - take a night, settle in, and have fun reading!
Nerine Petros
Nov 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Ryoma Gartre
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
David is too judgmental to be likable, he just cares about he how he had suffered and puts al the guilt in Elliot, he doesn't stop to think about Elliot's suffering, I mean David was just separated from Elliot, Elliot had to endure his parents, i'm going to finish it but i really hope that besides his father Elliot tells David to stop being a self-absorbed ass.

Because if not, Elliot is just going to change a controlling father for a controlling boyfriend, and that's just not cute.
Tj
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
I did enjoy this read and want to continue on in the series. Love that a lost love was rediscovered and rekindled. Two problems. One story was a little too easy. I really wouldn't think love would rekindle that quickly and all trouble solved that fast. The second is I kept thinking I had read this before. I don't know why but it did throw me off and make the reading less enjoyable. Still a good story overall.
Lauren
Finding Elliot was a quick and sweet read. It might have benefited from being longer (so that we could have delved a little deeper into the characters and the back-story) and it was a bit too convenient in places, but it was still overall a lovely book. Serena Yates always writes wonderful stories, and although this wasn't my favourite of hers, it was still enjoyable. I'll be checking out other works in the Men of Riverside series :)
Nov 29, 2010 rated it liked it
(3.5 Stars)

A Novella about first love and second chances. David never knew what happened to the only man he had ever loved. Deciding he needed to get closure he sets out to find Elliot. I really enjoyed the story although some of it felt disjointed and slightly repetitive. I really like Serena's writing as a rule so its possible it was the way i was reading it.
Jan Carlo Evangelista
I liked it, which is weird, considering that not much happened in the story, and the writing wasn't particularly noteworthy, but I guess it deserves 3 stars. Would I want to read it again? Nope. Would I want to read more by the author? Maybe. Would I care to read the next books in the series? Maybe not.
Kendra T
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was so sweet and I really felt for Elliot and David as they struggled with what they want and how to get there. My only problem with this book is that it was way too short! Looking forward to the rest of the Riverside Men.
Janie
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Poor David and Elliot, they didn't stand a chance in hell against Elliot's dad, who was a huge dick! I'm glad that David finally decided to look for Elliot, just too bad it took 5 long years before he did.
Amanda
A short m/m romance story. Best-friends-to-lovers who have been apart for 5 years are reunited. Although there is some family drama, it was all very cute.
Clover
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, m-m
a nice and short read.

• Meant For Each Other (Meant For Each Other #1)
  • Point of Beginning (The Gentlemen's Club, #1)
  • The Cake (Elemental Superpowers, #1)
  • A Subtle Breeze (Southern Spirits, #1)
  • Reining in the Past (Saddle Up and Ride, #1)
  • Cowboy Crush (Evans Brothers #1)
  • Tyler's Cowboy (Cowboy Lovin' #1)
  • Shattered Glass
  • Welcome Home, Cowboy
  • A Prophecy of Destiny (Ancient Prophecy, #1)
  • Sweet Reunion (Sutter's Bay, #1)
  • Running Hot (EMS Heat, #1)
  • House of Simeon (Gladiators #1)
  • Blood Moon (Insolita Luna #1)
  • Winner Takes All
  • His Perfect Partner (Perfect Love Series, #2)
  • Fix This, Sir (Tales from Rainbow Alley, #3)
  • Fugly (connected by Jackson Spey #9)
I’m a night owl and start writing when everyone else in my time zone is asleep. I’ve loved reading all my life and spent most of my childhood with my nose buried in a book. Although I always wanted to be a writer, financial independence came first. Twenty-some years and a successful business career later I took some online writing classes and never looked back.

Living and working in eight countries

Men of Riverside (8 books)
  • Rediscovering Adrian (Men of Riverside, #2)
  • Understanding Mark (Men of Riverside, #3)
  • Saving Zeke (Men of Riverside, #4)
  • Forgiving Jason (Men of Riverside, #5)
  • Loving Vicente (Men of Riverside, #6)
  • Convincing Landon (Men of Riverside, #7)
  • Helping Harry (Men of Riverside, #8)