Start by marking “The Twits” as Want to Read:
The Twits

The Twits

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  115,331 ratings  ·  3,685 reviews
How do you outwit a Twit?

Mr. and Mrs. Twit are the smelliest, nastiest, ugliest people in the world. They hate everything—except playing mean jokes on each other, catching innocent birds to put in their Bird Pies, and making their caged monkeys, the Muggle-Wumps, stand on their heads all day. But the Muggle-Wumps have had enough. They don't just want out, they want revenge
Published August 16th 2007 by Puffin Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Twits, please sign up.
Rithika coz
-> they kill birds
->they torture their monkey(i pity it)…more
coz
-> they kill birds
->they torture their monkey(i pity it)(less)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyThe Last Straw by Jeff KinneyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud
1,906 books — 2,468 voters
Rodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyThe Ugly Truth by Jeff KinneyDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyCabin Fever by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff Kinney
98 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

·  115,331 ratings  ·  3,685 reviews

Start your review of The Twits
JV (semi-hiatus)
I feel full of the joys of spring! This was such a delightful little book. My morbid, inner kid couldn't have been more ecstatic! Should I call someone a twit or a nitwit? I guess, no. That would be very rude of me! My doppelgänger would approve otherwise. And since I'm not like my sinister doppelgänger, I would leave all the sheer nastiness to him along with Mr. and Mrs. Twit, who are also quite repulsive, if you ask me. I'd rather have pleasant thoughts rather than wicked ones.
"If a person
Miranda Reads
Unfortunately, I don't have any rose-tinted glasses for this one.

So, as an adult, all I could think of is, "Dahl, what were you on??"
Mr. Twit was a twit. He was born a twit. And, now at the age of sixty, he was a bigger twit than ever.
The Twits are ugly people - through and through. They think nothing of animal neglect or outright abuse. They are horrible to each other and everyone around them.

They own a troop of trained monkeys and take particular delight in forcing the poor animals into
Mark Lawrence
I read a lot of Roald Dahl books as a child, and have read quite a few more to my own children, most recently to my disabled youngest daughter. The Twits was one of those.

The Twits, although it has its moments, is one of my least favourite Dahl books, perhaps the least favourite.

It's easy to be too po-faced about humour in children's books, and perhaps my reaction is coloured by the knowledge that Dahl was not a particularly pleasant man and had some rather nasty opinions ... but even so, my rea
Luca Ambrosino
ENGLISH (The Twits)/ ITALIANO

«What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around nowadays»
Ugly, dirty and bad. It's not about the movie of Ettore Scola about the slums, with Nino Manfredi as memorable protagonist. We are talking, instead, about the Twits, Mr and Mrs Twits, spending their days tremendously pranking each other with jokes of unnecessary cruelty. Mr Twits, moreover, has his own dreams: training monkeys to carry out acts upside down. In short, the Twits are evil.

But revenge comes as a ju

Sean Barrs
“If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”

I do love this quote. The Twits are the epito
Matt
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
Shelves: children-s, audiobook
Another re-read for the fun of it!

This story pulls the reader to the edge, injecting silliness, fear, and all-around revenge into a larger plot that will have children giggling and washing their faces in short order. What is a twit? Not so easy to explain, is it? Well, Dahl seeks to provide the reader with a slight understanding by offering up some of their hygienic deficiencies (especially among the men whose hairy faces are receptacles for anything that could land therein), persistent ugliness
Greg
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids
Twits are ugly people who do horrible things to each other and others. They are not nice, and they are negative people who have been negative so long that the negativity has made them ugly.

On Monday I was going to write a review that just said that I'm a twit. Which isn't really true, I'm generally a only a slightly negative person, bordering on neutral and I don't do things intentionally to try to cause other people harm. Sometimes I do turn incredibly negative though and then I come out swing
Mariah Roze
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
I originally read this book in either elementary school or middle school and really enjoyed it. Since I am reading all of Roald Dahl's books again, I thought "why not," and re-read this one. Surprisingly, I don't remember this story at all.

This book is about the grossest couple: Mr. and Mrs. Twit. They are the smelly and ugly. They hate everything! They even hate each other and they keep pulling pranks on each other. They're mean! They catch innocent birds to put in their Bird Pies and make the
Sam Quixote
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn’t love a good villain? And Mr and Mrs Twit are a delightfully nasty pair! When they’re not having a go at one another - she mixing in live worms into his spaghetti, he trying to send her off into space with balloons - they’re trying to eat children, actually eating the local bird populace and torturing a family of monkeys. Then one day the monkeys decide to push back…

The Twits still holds up as one of my favourite Roald Dahl books. Dahl’s speciality is over-the-top baddies and he deli
Mario
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This quote is one of the biggest reasons why I g
MJ Nicholls
An allegory on post-Communist Götterdämmerung qua Joseph Stalin or an attack on hairy-faced men?

description

or

description

We can only speculate.
Anthony Vacca
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dahl's The Twits is at its finest during the first half of the book which relates various highlights in the comedy of cruelty that is the marriage between the two eponymous grotesques, Mr and Mrs Twit. When Mrs Twit isn't serving Mr Twit a bowl of worms or hiding her glass eye in his after-supper beer, and when Mr Twit isn't playing a fucked-up mind game on Mrs Twit - such as carving away an inch of his wife's cane, day by day, so that he can trick her into thinking she is slowly but surely shri ...more
Edgarr Alien Pooh
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
The Twits by Roald Dahl is the usual funny and clever fare that we get from this much-celebrated author. A short read it is about a married couple, The Twits, who rarely see eye to eye, plainly don't get along and lead sad, miserable lives which they feel the need to take out on the rest of the world.

To show the brilliance of Dahl as an author is easy. The Twits, as a couple, are offensive, unkind and plain rude yet the read is fun and enjoyable. Some of the content nobody else could get away wi
Sully (thysaltymar)

-The Twits, Roald Dahl
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ratatouille
Recommended to Mariel by: Lester
My birds and I got into a big literary debate this morning. The book was Dahl's The Twits. Lester the Molestor maintains that I would be more delicious in a pie. My vote is for a hearty bird pie. You are what you eat. Who would want to be me? There is a big hungry gator waiting for us to decide. She said we might settle it over a scrabble game... We lost. It was Lester's fault! He doesn't know enough Q words....
I'm scared.
I swear to myself (and on a stack of bibles) that I had already reviewed T
Dash fan
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of my favourite books.
A lil gruesome but so funny. A sheer delight to read.
Such a memorable book. I will treasure.
B Schrodinger
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
"What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around these days. When a man grows hair all over his face it is impossible to tell what he really looks like. Perhaps that's why he does it.He'd rather you didn't know.

Then there's the problem with washing."

What an opportune time to read 'The Twits' with so many Mr Twit clones around. Roald had the right idea. They're dirty shifty buggers who paint trees in glue to catch birds and torture monkeys

Yes, hipsters torture monkeys. But they did it before it w
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪

This book is made of horrible people pulling horrible pranks on each other. In the first half, husband and wife love each other so much that they feed the other worms, convince them they are shrinking and are going to disappear, and other wholesome stuff. In the second part, they get pranked by upside-down monkeys because they like to stick birds to trees to make Bird Pie. I mean, yeah it sounds pretty awful but I must admit I read worse, this was actually kinda funny. Or am I just lowering my e
Tatevik Najaryan
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatevik by: Shaina
I wonder how many kids get some good ideas from his books. Well, there is moral in the books, that nasty people always get punished, but however...
Still, favourite is Matilda.
Sara Alaee
Funny childish story of a couple who do nasty things to each other and the birds and the monkeys. Finally the monkeys and birds take revenge by turning the Twits’ house upside down.

So creative! I loved it and yet I think there’s more to this story than just meets the eyes (the bearded face descriptions, cruelty and its relation to ugliness, standing on head instead of feet and then shrinking looks like social or even political(?) criticism to me!).

“A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
Big shout out to Mr Dahl, and his sidekick Quentin Blake for the illustrations! Wow, that was a right blast from the past I can tell you!

I was lucky enough to meet Roald at my senior school in, blimey, um, 1988, (I feel old) when he was invited to take an assembly during 'bookweek'. And he was fabulous, humorous and extremely tall!

I loved this book before I met him, I loved it more after I met him, and I love it even more now I'm far too old to be loitering in the kids section in the library wh
Martin
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, humour
A simply dreadful story about Mr and Mrs Twit.

They play pranks on each other; such as worms in food, frogs in beds, psychological torture, and air space incursions.
They catch and cook all types of British birds without checking to see if any are nearly extinct.
They try to catch, cook and eat young boys.
They force a family of monkeys to perform horrible tricks that endanger the monkeys' health.
They buy shotguns without a license, and intend to shoot inside a suburb.

That is what a politically cor
Ashley Daviau
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this story in elementary school and I love it just as much now as I did back then. Dahl’s writing is just timeless, it stays with you no matter your age! Something about this particular story just really makes me laugh. I think it’s seeing the Twits tricks turned around and used on them and their hilarious reactions to it that just really get to me!
Gator
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s always refreshing to read a Dahl book, he’s definitely one of My favorite authors. These books come from a time when everyone wasn’t so serious and worked up about every thing. For example, in the twits they eventually look to solve their problem by each buying a gun and blowing away their pesky problems. No author for kids books would even be looked at if it involved guns to solve a problem in 2020. It’s just nice to be able to sit back and laugh and read a solid book that doesn’t pander o ...more
Shaina
Shelle Klein Houser
Archer and I love this book! It's funny and evil and typical Dahl, it's fun to read out loud (or to yourself if you're not reading to a child) and there's an unrealized circus act full of upside-down monkeys.

Quirkyreader
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a major laugh riot. Especially now with beards being a big thing.
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."

The Twits is one of the more well-known Roald Dahl books that I didn't know anything about and I can't say that's a bad thing. It's a fairly decent yar
Ferdy
Quite funny and entertaining, not as good as The BFG or Matilda though.

I kind of loved Mr and Mrs Twit, despite them being horrible to everyone. I thought the nasty tricks they played on each other and names they called each other were actually kind of cute, they both were just so well suited each other (unlike most fictional couples). They might just be my OTP.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Only Dahl could make such a delightful children's story out of two such miserable, horrid, nasty characters! Of course, he knew how to write an ending that would satisfy our (childish?) sense of justice. It's been years since I read this book, but it was just as I remembered it: delightfully wicked, uproariously funny, and a little sad.

Mr and Mrs Twit are two very ugly people, whose ugliness reflects the ugliness of their hearts. They live in a windowless brick house, play mean and spiteful tric
What's your favourite part of 'The Twits'? 11 49 Apr 29, 2017 05:37AM

• The Cat in the Hat
  • Mr. Tickle
  • Demon Dentist
  • The Lorax
  • The Story of Tracy Beaker (Tracy Beaker, #1)
  • Awful Auntie
  • The Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #1)
  • The Gruffalo