Start by marking “The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business: Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  269 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
“This fun and informative book shows aspiring young women how to build their own businesses from the ground up...and stand as tall as a Manhattan highrise.”

—Barbara Corcoran, author of If You Don’t Have Large Breasts Wear Ribbons in Your Pigtails

“This book will do for business what The Joy of Cooking did for the culinary world.”

—Ella Brennan, owner, Commander's Palace

The
Published December 23rd 2003 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business

Dana
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Not a bad overview of the main pieces of what it takes to run a business. However, this definitely serves more as an introduction than it does of any decent details. The examples were of successful businesswomen/entrepeneurs, which were inspiring and comforting. However, the chapter on "The Scary Stuff" - aka the legal, financial, etc. pieces - simply gave advice to hire someone to do it. Bootstrapping seemed an entirely unfamiliar concept to the authors, especially on the cheap. Also, there are ...more
Lyn
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Very informative but the last half seemed to not connect. It was a good read. I would like to see them write a new book related to 2015 and the business world.
Lindsey Font
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually read the updated version of the book, but I couldn't find it on goodreads. The version I read was a simple, yet informative and helpful guide to starting your business. I got the most use out of it when I was writing my business plan.
Kassel
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small business owners
Shelves: 2012
The book starts off strong and covers many different topics in detail. Unfortunately, as is the case with every non-fiction book that tries to be current, the book has become outdated (especially the technology section). That doesn't mean it's not worth reading for encouragement and good advice.

The book, although informative, sometimes gets too girly while trying to maintain an objective professional image. At times, the authors forget that their target audience are likely newbies at entrepreneu
Stephanie
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
There is some sound advice provided in the first half of the book, which is valuable to anyone starting their own business. The one glaring thing that did stand out is that this book is out of date and panders to the notion that women have no technology know-how and have no idea how to dress the part, which is disappointing given The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business is written by two successful women. Is it really necessary to have a chapter titled, Acting Like an Adult?

My other issue
J
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
This was a very informative book. Having been published in 2003 and read in 2014, it's obviously a bit outdated, but there is some sound advice in here along with a good peek into the daily workings of business. As others have mentioned, this seems to be directed more at people who have a large amount of capital in the form of loans or saved cash, etc, but I thought it was still informative-- especially if a small start-up is thinking of eventual expansion. Loved the delving into the nitty gritt ...more
Maliades
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
My sister loaned me this book, and I mostly skimmed through it... the information might be more valuable to someone who is opening a large business, or has a large amount of capital to start their business with. I didn't get a lot of new tips or ideas from this book. Of course, my 'business' is small - I make and sell hand-crafted jewelry - and fortunately these days, you don't even need a website to sell online. Starting a little business on a shoestring budget doesn't call for hiring the logo ...more
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really helpful, and very encouraging. I don't particularly enjoy being called a "girl," but since it's in the title, I knew what I was getting into, and its use wasn't too excessive.

This book was a really good starting point in that there was a lot of helpful motivation and self-evaluation, as well as more practical information. I also really appreciated the stories and advice from real women entrepreneurs.
Kat
May 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book definitely seemed geared toward people who have a lot of start-up capital, and also who want to start more PR/consulting/writing/editing type companies (which is understandable, since that's what the authors do). It was a good overview, and got me looking into resources and figuring out what questions I need to start asking. However, I didn't like that a lot of their advice was "hire someone to do this for you" and that they didn't really look at people who want to start fairly small.
Kelli Koehler
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is good for someone who needs the very basics of starting a business. For someone who has a business degree, it was a little bit too basic with very few tidbits of information I didn't already know. It also lacked the motivation/encouragement voice that you would typically expect in a self-help book.
Amanda
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I enjoyed the first part of this book, despite its title. They book offered some great ideas and points to think on, but totally lost me when it suggested I go "spend a little money, get a mani-pedi" if my budding business got me down. I guess there was a little too much "girl" in this one for my tastes.
Tatiana Jimenez
Aug 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
This book was very witty and helpful. The authors provided a lot of advice and insight about starting your own business. I enjoyed reading the "girl talk" segments, where they would interview women business owners who would share their stories. I will definitely be referring this book when I start my own business... someday. :o)
Ebprl7
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was right on time for me as I am in the early stages of starting my business. It's frank talk and advice of interviewing service providers were some of my favorite parts of the book. Regardless of the size of a business, I think these ladies provide very valuable information and tips, especially for those of us who have not run a business before.
Gabrielle
With these kinds of books one takes what is useful to you and disregards the rest. The vast majority of this book was not relevant to me but it was still there was some good information. The technology stuff was out of date but that is always the case.
Shannon
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Helped me think about many startup aspects I wasn't aware of, and is written in a fun, easy-to-read style. However, it seems a little dated because much of the information is setup for traditional brick and mortar style businesses and not online-only companies.
Feliza Casano
This book was unfortunately not as helpful as I would have liked, though it was very accessible and easy to read. However, the book seems better for women in a different stage of life and a different career stage and therefore may be appropriate for someone else.
Pam
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very, very helpful! I loved how almost every chapter gave links to programs and resources that are definitely important for any start-up business woman. I referred (and continue to refer) to this book as a reference guide when launching my own business.
Doreen
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any woman starting a business.
Broke down the process of starting a business into very manageable pieces, with illustrative examples and common sense advice. A lot more approachable than most of the books on the market, while presenting the exact same information in an easier to read style of writing.
Alisa
Mar 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Things that I need to consider before starting my own business & quiting my job.
Kristyn Redahan
might pick it up again later, but it lost me when i was reading it and they used you're instead of your. I'm going to base business decisions on these women? no thanks...
Marjorie
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good tips to help you start your business. Very informative.
Carly
Jul 24, 2008 added it
This was a wonderful motivating book with some great tips and insight!
amy cale peterson
Apr 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Quick read. Basic facts. Very helpful. Asks the right questions if you are considering setting up shop.
Lindsay
had some pretty good information but because of the amount of info it got kind of boring and a lot of the information was common sense. I also don't really see how it was a "girl's guide".....
Catherine
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Good. Lots of thought starters and I appreciate how they identify resources. Dated but that's a function of when I found the book -- not the authors. Would love an updated version.
Alyson
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it
i've learned that i'm not ready to face the tough decisions that come with starting a business. let's post-pone this dream for a bit.
May 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-skill-based
Great resource book. The easy-going voice and overall tone appeals to the 30-something women who are interested in starting their own business. Most business books are too intense and insulting.
SmarterLilac
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot, but the talk is frank indeed. Made me question if I could ever have the stones to think about my potential employees like the authors of this book do (ie; as disposable).
Amber
Jul 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Read the updated version and picked up some helpful tips.
Jillian
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The best general, female-oriented, business book I've read so far.
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • The Martha Rules
  • Nice Girls Just Don't Get It: 99 Ways to Win the Respect You Deserve, the Success You've Earned, and the Life You Want
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • Poisoned Wells: The Dirty Politics of African Oil
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • How to Hustle and Win: A Survival Guide for the Ghetto
  • Books That Changed The World
  • The Complete Printmaker
  • The Successful Business Plan: Secrets & Strategies
  • How to Make Money Using Etsy: A Guide to the Online Marketplace for Crafts and Handmade Products
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • A Kick in the Seat of the Pants: using your explorer, artist, judge, & warrior to be more creative
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99