Start by marking “Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)

Wolf-Speaker

(The Immortals #2)

When humans start destroying the majestic Dunlath Valley, the wolves seek out Daine to intervene. She arrives with a small band of helpers--Numair, King Jonathan's greatest mage, Cloud, her pony, and Skysong, a small dragon--each unaware of the awesome challenge that lies ahead of them. Daine must once more call upon her wild magic, going even deeper, to organize her ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 281 pages
Published May 13th 1997 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf-Speaker, please sign up.
Lynxie Brat Yes, there is a short story about him in short story collection that Tammy published a few years ago. The book is called:Tortall and other lands. And…moreYes, there is a short story about him in short story collection that Tammy published a few years ago. The book is called:Tortall and other lands. And the short story is called Elder Brother. (less)

Start your review of Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
Flannery
This didn't excite me as much as its predecessor, Wild Magic, primarily for the following reason:

Daine and Numair are in the forest then
Daine enters into the mind of an animal.
Daine and Numair and some wolves are in the forest then
Daine enters into the mind of an animal.
Daine and Numair go to a castle then
Daine enters into the mind of an animal.
Daine hangs out with wolves and then
Daine enters into the mind of an animal.
Daine meets some immortals, good and bad, and then
Daine enters into the mind
Madeline
It's been over a year since I read the first book in Tamora Pierce's Immortals quartet, Wild Magic. I remember enjoying it almost more than Pierce's Alanna books (which will always be first in my heart, of course) but other than that, I started this book with only vague memories of the plot and characters of the previous installment.

Luckily, there's not much to catch up on - Pierce's novels are characterized by fast-paced action, a relatively small and memorable cast of characters, and fairly
Dannii Elle
It is hard not to fall head over heels in love with a book that involves animals such as a dragon called Kitten, a wolf pup called Silly, and a hound called Prettyfoot. What is hard to do is combine these beloved creatures inside of a plot that delivers as much intrigue as it does adorable creatures, and as much authenticity as it does no-hold-bars belief in its creations. However, Pierce does all that with ease.

The first book in the Immortals series introduced the reader to central character,
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
My thanks to Harper Collins UK and NetGalley for a review copy of this one.

This is the second of the Immortals series (my review of book 1 is here:https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) by Tamora Pierce. The one opens with the wolves that Daine once hunted with trying to reach her and thinking over the news they’ve received of her from other creatures of the forest. Daine, now fourteen, meanwhile is heading with her mentor/teacher, the mage Numair Salmalin, their horses including Cloud, and
Catie
If I weren’t writing a review for every single book this year, this would definitely be one that I would skip. This is a clear transition book and I really don’t have much to say about it. I liked it; I didn’t love it. I never felt annoyed, bored, moved, or enthusiastic about this book. I listened to it while running errands and doing some cleaning and it was the perfect background.

Daine’s wolf pack family, who gave her a home when she was lost, has called for help. Their valley is being torn
Kogiopsis
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*happy sigh*

I always finish these books with a smile on my face. There's just something about them that leaves me feeling like this:

It's hard to write a review for something you love this much. I'd much rather just tell you all to READ IT NAO and let it speak for itself.
But you're not here for that. And this book deserves a proper review from me. I'll try.

First of all, to let some parts of it speak for themselves, here are a few lines of sparkling dialogue from this book, iconified by awesome
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I think I set my bar so high for this series from the first book that this book was inevitably a letdown. I loved the first book. I loved being introduced to all the characters, I loved learning about Daine's "wild magic" and her journey into self-discovery. Even the lengthy and confusing battle at the end didn't ruin it for me. This book, however, just dragged on. Daine is traveling with her mentor, looking for a missing group of Riders and re-encountering the pack of wolves with whom she ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

This second book in Tamora Pierce's THE IMMORTALS QUARTET centers around the further development of Daine's magical ability to communicate with animals.

The story begins when the wolf pack that lives near her former home village sends an envoy to ask for her assistance communicating with the humans who are ruining the lands where these wolves hunt. Daine, who owes a debt of gratitude to these wolves for having cared for her once she escaped her
Andrea
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2018-read
Daine is still a bit childish for me at times which is why this is 4 instead of 5 stars. Besides that small issue I loved everything about this!! I loved all the new animals and immortals that were involved in this story and how much Daine learned about her own powers. I also totally ship Numaire and Daine together. I don't care what you say, you can't convince me otherwise. I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP THEY ARE MEANT TO BE!
Kathryn
Oh my god. I don't have words to explain how I feel right now.

It dosen't take long for the story to shift in shape.
There is no lingering and much rememberence on the first book to get annoyed with.
And it dosen't take long chapters for you to be intrigued.

There was so much going on yet, so organized that I was so pleased when it ended. It made me feel warm and longing after, and mind you not many books makes me feel this way.

This book reminded me of this particular animation which I LOVE. It
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
If you guys love animals this is definitely a series you should read! One quote that really stood out to me:

"It seemed as if, ever since she had come here, someone was telling her that because she didn't like a creature's looks, it didn't mean that creature was bad."

Such an important message of tolerance vs. racism – something that Donald Trump and some Americans need to hear.
kris
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
[Also read 17 December 2007]

Daine is summoned by her former Pack to Dunlath where shenanigans are afoot. Once there, she is separated from everyone but her animal pals to stop high treason in its tracks!! (If this sounds like an after school special on PBS, YOU’D BE RIGHT.)

1. While there have been some very good conversations about the ‘easiness’ Daine experiences in growing her magic, I would argue that the simplicity of the world extends well past just Daine’s magic. For any given conflict, an
Kayla Edwards
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There's nothing I can say that will adequately express how I feel about these books and I'm not even going to try. Besides, the fact that I read them all repeatedly (I quit counting after the 10th time) is the highest form of praise I can give anyway. Daine, Numair, and the others are friends as dear to me as any in this world.
✨Skye✨
I received a free ebook version of this from Netgalley. Thankyou to both Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this! My review is still honest.

I'm really sorry to say that I think this book has second book syndrome, and I don't think it's as good as Wild Magic. I am still invested in the series and the characters, and I have high hopes for Emperor Mage, but this one wasn't up to the standard of the first book.
This series is based around a young girl who has wild magic, powers that
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

When the Wolf pack, led by Brokefang, ask Daine, the only wild magician, to help them stop the humans from ruining their territory, she and Numair go to their aid. However, they find something sinister going on a Long Lake as they find that the nobles are trying to usurp the throne from King Jonathan and Queen Thayet. In Wolf-Speaker we are introduced to both new and existing characters but my favourite is defiantly
Beth
This is what I think people think of the seventh Harry Potter (which I love): there is TOO MUCH CAMPING. The rebellion should be interesting, but instead the characters spend too much time apart, and - I'm repeating myself here, but it still applies - the animals aren't as interesting as companions as the people are.

Also, I thought I remembered the Dunlath mess being connected to Delia of Eldorne; it isn't. There's lots of high treason going around Tortall.

This is my least favorite Daine book,
Nargis  Kalani
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This series is getting more intriguing with each part.

I specially enjoyed this second part because of the development in Daine's character. The way she used her wild magic for the good of everyone and the way she became one with different animals was the best part. Knowing this many animals and their minds and that they can become friendly with other animals too was heartwarming.

So this novel was literally heartwarming and i loved being with all these animals. I cannot express this feeling in
Acacia
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy, witches
This text in the series definitely has the feeling as a bridge - bridging Daine's introduction to Tortall to her future position in Tortallan society, bridging the drama with Carthak, as well as bridging Daine's experience and development of her own magic. While its not my favorite of the quartet, I really do love this book - including the whole wolf pack, the castle cats, Tkaa, and the real introduction of Kitten. I also like Maura as a sort of foil to Daine.
Ashley
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The fun thing about rereading books that you loved when you were younger is that it reminds you how much you used to love them (I'm not sure that sentence makes sense, but let's go with it). This book could have been tailor-made for adolescent-me. I loved Julie of the Wolves, and the idea of JOINING A WOLF PACK AND USING MAGIC POWERS TO TALK TO THEM sounded like the greatest thing in the world. I also really enjoy some of the side characters we meet in this book.
Rachel Hyland
I was in the mood for some fairly mindless YA Fantasy today — something heroic and delightful, a tonic to cleanse my palate after the torture that was that Feist Merchant Prince book, which I read yesterday and hated — and this jumped into my hand. I was very quickly re-immersed in the world of Daine, our teenage animal mage, and the imminent threat to the land from a darkness beyond.

This one sees Daine and her mentor Numair caught up in a rebellion against the King, with a sideline of sentient
Alex Black
Back in the day, this was my least favorite of the series and the only one I didn't reread. But today, honestly, I love it almost as much as the first one. The reason I didn't like it as much was because it's a bit of a departure from the characters I love, Daine spends a lot of this book on her own with animals separated from Numair, and even though he's in it some, he's the only one from previous books to play a major role. I miss the rest of the cast and the normal setting. But that being ...more
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
This was fun but I didn't enjoy the way Daine's powers sorta exploded during this book. Not as good as book one but a good entry.
delaney
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

It is so cozy reading these books.

Wolf-Speaker is one of those books you can just grab a blanket, grab a drink, seat yourself in a comfy chair and curl up to a good read.

This reread around, I actually loved it more than the first time around. I probably like it more than the first?! I loved how Tamora Pierce alluded to global warming, pollution, deforestation, chemical dumping, and endangered species. She also played around with the idea of grayness as humans can be both monsters and human and
Sally
The wolves of Dunlath have come to Daine with a problem: the humans are blasting away in their mines, polluting its waters, and driving away all the game. Daine and Numair go off to investigate, but it's worse than they thought. Fief Dunlath has been entertaining foreign mages with major firepower. Numair manages to escape to warn the king, but Daine gets trapped in the valley behind a wall of magic, stuck in a mess of illegal mining, dead Rider groups, and enslaving of immortals.

This was a
Andree
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
This one held up less well for me. It's not bad, it's just sort of... uninteresting? I feel like it's this series' "Woman who Rides Like a Man." I like a lot of the elements, but something doesn't come together. I do like how morality is treated in this one. And I like Maura. But I almost feel like this one has too many convenient allies. And it features Daine being alone with very few of the familiar characters for too long. The pack themselves aren't that interesting to me. I do like Tkaa and ...more
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
I think my reread of this series has been garnering 5 star ratings because they're just... so easy. They're so comfortable, you know? They're fun but not complicated, layered but not long. I've read them before so I have an idea of what's coming, but it was long enough ago that there are still surprises.

I'd misremembered how soon Daine learns to do different things with her powers, and completely forgotten some things about the immortals. And Maura, sorry, I didn't remember you even existed. So
Fantasy Literature
Wolf Speaker is the second of Tamora Pierce's "Immortals Quartet" concerning fourteen-year-old Daine, a young woman who possesses "Wild Magic," giving her the ability to communicate with animals, heal any animal wound, and in this book, to gradually change her form into any animal she wishes. Pierce jumps straight into the story without hardly any background information, so if you are unfamiliar with the fantasy realm of Tortall, I very highly recommend that you don't begin your journey with ...more
Stephanie Jobe
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think a disturbing amount of my psychology could be traced back to Tamora Pierce, most of it from The Song of the Lioness quartet, but then you come to things like oh my absolute obsession with wolves for years of my life. Daine is growing in her confidence and the gods of the People, animals, are becoming even more involved in her life. Not only does this book provide you with a great adventure but it also teaches two lessons. One lesson is about respect for the natural world in a way that ...more
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Man did I miss this world and these characters. Even though Wolf-Speaker is probably my least favorite in the series, I still love it and love Daine's progress. I really appreciated seeing her growth in this book and her struggle with her feeling towards Stormwings and how in this book she comes to terms with how even though there might be bad people in a certain group, it doesn't mean the entire group is bad and needs to be punished or hated.

Also obviously loved seeing her find out slowly that
Nico
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
3.75 stars because I'm feeling picky

Although it was pretty awesome to see Daine handle everything on her own, I really did miss the presence of more humans (specifically Numair and Alanna). The Wolf pack was badass though, loved them. Loved all the different variety of animal voices too. Tkaa's character was pretty awesome as well. Another fun read :)

• Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • The Blue Sword (Damar, #1)
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
  • Arrow's Fall (Heralds of Valdemar, #3)
  • Silent Pantheon
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court, #1)
  • The Rise of Nazil: Complete Epic Fantasy Trilogy: Gritty Epic Fantasy
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • The Wizard's Dilemma
  • Tamora Pierce: " The Immortals " (Genre Fiction Sightlines)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • A College of Magics (A College of Magics, #1)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)
  • Lost in the Crowd
  • The Legend of Mary Death
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)
  • Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
“I think it's fair rude to make him a tree and not know what kind he is.” 474 likes
“Now to find Tristan, if he survived the excitement. I hope he did. I have some things to say to him, and none of them are 'Goddess bless'.

-Numair Salmalin”