Start by marking “The Party” as Want to Read:
The Party

The Party

It's a beautiful day for Grandma's birthday picnic, but two of her granddaughters are not very excited about spending time with relatives they barely know. Feeling shy at first, the girls eventually become fast friends with their cousins. By the time the family is ready to leave, the girls are sad to see the wonderful day come to an end.
Published April 1st 1999 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Party

Westcoast_girl
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a book to read again and again.

The art is incredible! It is all made from clay. The text that goes along with the art is fun, whimsical, and descriptive.

The story reminded me of many block parties I had been to as a child. The games inspired me to want to play children's chase games like capture the flag and sardines again.

Whether the kids were being bombarded with kisses from relatives, bragging to cousins about heroic deeds, leaping over shark-lawn chairs, ruling court under the grown
Olivia Slykhuis
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Not sure what I think of this book. I'm not wild on all the text, some of it forces the rhyme and rhythm, which bugs me. Overall I find the book evokes a lot of nostalgia in me, particularly the pictures, of being a little kid. She definitely captures the mood and the feeling of childhood gatherings. Quite a lot of text, 5+. Not sure I would bother with.
Bennett Burgess
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
it's good.
Teddy
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2009
Barbara Reid also did the illustrations for this fun book. Two sisters were going to a party with their parents. They didn't seem too happy about it. As they drove away they saw their friends outside playing, having a good old time but they had to say, "no." When they arrive at the party their Aunt Joan kissed them. "The very worst of the party." The sisters weren't sure how to start the party but soon some other kids arrived and they played together. The Party then goes on from there.

This book
JustOneMoreBook.com
Plasticine illustrations magically bring to life this rollicking rhyming narration of a happy childhood memory. Anyone who has experienced (or imagined!) the rollercoaster of emotions that is a large family gathering will love this beautiful book.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Lise Audet
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
All of Barbara Reid's picture books are so filled with detail in her plasticine illustrations. She does the plasticine artwork which her husband photographs to then be inserted in her books. My favorite book is this one titled "The Party".
Children of all ages love doing this type of art. They soon realize the amount of work and dedication that goes into every illustration.
Pam Klassen-dueck
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Charlie asks to read this book at least 4x/day. I know it off by heart. :)
Reid did a great job with the text (charming - she definitely understands a child's interior world) and the gorgeous plasticine illustrations.
Amy
Feb 13, 2014 added it
-Children can refer to illustrations to create their own artwork with Plasticine
-Author study
-Rhyming
-Tells the story of a family party/gathering
Huda
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: en-pic-books
for children who are being forced to attend family parties (;
Patricia
Jan 25, 2012
elle and esme
Oct 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
As a child, Barbara Reid loved reading, drawing, writing and fooling around with plasticine. She kept at it, and has written and illustrated 19 picture books, illustrating more than 25. Her books have been published in over a dozen countries, and her signature plasticine relief illustrations have won many awards including a Governor General’s Award for Illustration and the Ezra Jack Keats Award. H ...more