Start by marking “Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)

Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun

(Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries #1)

When Anastasia Pollack's gambling-addicted husband permanently cashes in his chips in Vegas, her life craps out. She's left with two teenage sons, a mountain of debt, and her nasty, cane-wielding Communist mother-in-law. Not to mention a loan shark demanding fifty thousand dollars.

Anastasia's job as crafts editor at American Woman magazine makes life even stickier when she
Published January 8th 2011 by Midnight Ink (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun

Start your review of Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
C.J. Shane
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Much has been made about the humor in Lois Winston’s first Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries Series, Assault With a Deadly Glue Gun, and rightfully so. Anastasia is a Jersey girl often compared to the equally funny Stephanie Plum in Janet Evanovich’s series. Jersey is where the comparison ends.

Laughing out loud, as I did when reading this cozy mystery, is related mainly to Anastasia’s acerbic wit. As a reader, I always welcome humor. However, humor is also a great way to get across some
Kathleen
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
“Assault With a Deadly Glue Gun” earns 5/5 Sticky Situations…Engaging Fun!

Lois Winston has penned a delightful first-in-the-series full of wonderful, some cringe-worthy, characters, quips and digs, a fast-paced mystery journey, and fun crafting! Beware of a few curses…teenagers, you know. Anastasia Pollack, widowed mother of two teens, is an admirable, yet flawed, character in the face of a husband who has plunged her into serious financial distress. She finds herself hounded by her husband’s
Jackie
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Over the top? Yes. Formulaic? Yes. Annoying supporting cast of characters? Yes. Implausible? Yes. Ridiculous, even? Yes. Did I still like it as a fluff piece of curl-up-and-read-on-a-winter-afternoon? Absolutely.

With a title like this, I wasn't expecting anything more than it was. Thus, I wasn't disappointed. Anastasia was a bit of a frustration for me. As were some of the plot developments. But then, again, with a title like this there was no way I was expecting more.

A solid 3 stars for liked
Meg Walsh
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! I couldn't put it down. Welly written. I read this book under 2 days! Now I'm on to the next.
Sara Thompson
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I first discovered this book on a fellow writer's blog. It was interesting but I don't often find books that I see on blogs since my access is limited (I know I could go online but then my budget would never forgive me). Imagine my surprise when this book appeared on the list of new books at the library. When I finally worked my way down the pile of books from the library to this gem I devoured it. (Why is it that all my requests are available at the same time?)
Lois Winston has created a nice
Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs)
Anastasia Pollack is up to her neck in problems. She's newly widowed - finding out only after her husband's death that he wasn't who she thought he was. Karl was a gambling addict who swindled away their life savings, plotted to steal his mother's life savings and get her run over with a car, spent his sons' college funds, and got in bed with a loan shark...a loan shark who is now coming to call on Anastasia.

She certainly doesn't need to discover the dead body of a much-despised coworker in her
Amber Foxx
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Crafts editor Anastasia Pollack is at her funniest and most determined when her luck is at its worst, and she’s just been run over by the bad luck bus of life. It may be hard to imagine how hilarious a book can be when the protagonist’s husband dies and leaves her broke and in debt and with a Communist mother-in-law who moves in with her—but it just gets funnier. And though I cringed at the image I found the weird creativity of the murder itself it comical.

Early on, I figured out whodunit but
Jeanie Jackson
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-amateur
Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun is fun cozy in spite of the endless problems Anastasia's husband left her to face. I enjoyed the interaction with her co-workers and look forward to getting to know her hunky tenant better! I will be reading the whole series now that I have met this crew.

Could life get any worse? It isn't until her husband dies of a heart attack that Anastasia learns that he has a serious gambling addiction. Not only did he cash out every penny they had saved, but he died in debt
Jess
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jess by: browsing
When someone at work is killed via glue gun, Anastasia takes the case. Someone has to prove it wasn't her

Anastasia's list of troubles got to the point where it was a bit ridiculous. It was (almost) worse than what the hard boiled guys got. Also, a few too many quirks. For example: a Shakespeare quoting parrot adopted from former teaching aunt, her mother's cat who's named after a Russian princess who may or may not be a relation, and a ill-behaving communist dog who only likes the mother-in-law
Claire Jenkins
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I liked the premise of this book and the suspense, but I feel like there was a lot of unnecessary fluff. How many times did we actually NEED to read 3 paragraphs about how the mother's cat & mother-in-law's dog hated each other and would growl and hiss at each other? we get it, move on! Sometimes there was so much going on, I felt like I was watching an I Love Lucy episode where everything was just piling on, and I prayed to God all the antics got wrapped up somehow.

That being said, I liked
Debra Goldstein
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I first began Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun, I chuckled. A few more pages into it, I almost stopped reading because it seemed like characters and incidents were overwhelming me. I'm glad I stuck with it as I found that the mad-capped things happening on each page were hilarious, especially when I got into the rhythm of Winston's dry sense of humor. The end of the book flew. Although I nailed who-dun-it early on, I'm looking forward to Winston's next book in the Pollack series. I think she ...more
Susan Furlong
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Anastasia Pollack's dead husband left her straddled with a pile of debt, a lot of unanswered questions and a half-crazy mother-in-law. Throw in an angry loan shark and you have the makings for a fast-paced adventure. This is my first experience with this author and I enjoyed her work. Some of the scenes were over-the-top quirky, but the plot was good and the characters well-developed. Overall, I liked the book and wouldn't hesitate to read another one of Winston's mysteries.
Lori
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Whacky and quirky, Winston's debut mystery features Anastasia Pollack, crafts editor of a women's magazine and plucky amateur sleuth. Enjoyable humor prevails, and the climax caught me a bit by surprise, which is always a good thing. Funny minor characters (the moms) get annoying at times. Overall, this is an enjoyable read.
Kari Townsend
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lois Winston has a hit on her hands with her fabulous debut for the new crafting mystery series. Anastasia Pollack is hillarious! I am a huge fan of fun, quirky characters, and Winston delivers big-time. The oddball secondary characters and crazy situations make for a really great read. If you don't check it out...you're missing out!
Michal
amusing characters!
The plot is decent for a murder mystery.
Anastasia Pollack is a lovable anti- heroine. It wasn't laugh out loud funny like early 'Stephanie Plum' but it made me smile and the twists were unexpected but made sense.
I think I'll look for the next one in this series.
Stephanie
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
It's not masterful writing by any means but it's a fun easy read.
Jo Anne
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
A quick read but no real oomph. The author references humorous mystery writer Janet Evanavich a few times and it was obvious she was trying to outdo J.E. with over the top characters. A little background: Anastasia Pollack is a crafter who writes for a women's magazine. She has a husband and two teen sons and all is ALMOST well, except for her weirdo mother-in-law, who is a communist and is cruel and bitter. Things are ok until Anastasia's husband dies and it is discovered he gambled away the ...more
Roddy Williams
Anastasia Pollack works as a Craft Editor on a low key fashion magazine. The editor, Marlys, has it appears slept her way to her position and made several enemies along the way.
When Marlys is found dead on the premises, in Anastasia's office, murdered with Anastasia's glue gun, Anastasia seems the prime suspect.
As if life wasn't difficult enough. Her feckless dead husband has left her with insurmountable debts, the mob are chasing her for money owed, she has two teenage sons, a parrot that
Sandy
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cosy-mysteries
The MC in this story is a craft editor and writer for a women's magazine. She finds the fashion editor glued to her chair and computer keyboard. This woman is not liked by anyone but the only fingerprints on the glue gun or the MC's.

Plenty of people, lots of motives and a crazy cast of characters make this an enjoyable read. Her mother, who has buried numerous husbands, her mother-in-law a geriatric communist, 2 sons and a tenant hunk make for some interesting sidebars in this murder mystery.

I
Julie Mink
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Janet Evanovich fans
If you like Janet Evanovich you will probably love Lois Winston's Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries.

I love mysteries of all kinds. But when I need to relax, I love a funny mystery with madcap characters.
I am now going back to get all the books in this series.
Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun is the first in the series. You have a widow whose husband dropped dead in Las Vegas gambling away all the family savings and maxing out the credit cards. She has the mother-in-law from hell living with her
Edie
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Anastasia Pollack is a crafter who works for "American Woman" magazine. She's the one who designs pages like "How to Decorate Your Dining Room Table for Easter". Her husband has just died from a heart attack -- only not at a sales meeting in Harrisburg, Pa. where he was supposed to be, but at a roulette table in Las Vegas. And some creep keeps calling her about $50,000 he says her husband owes him. Then Marlys Vandenburg, the women's fashion editor of the magazine, is found glue-gunned to death ...more
Jillian
Apr 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read this as the first in Sleuthing Women: 10 First-in-Series Mysteries. I disliked almost everything about it - the style, the glib attitude, the stereotypes, the humour. I skipped through it. First and last in the series as far as I’m concerned. Hope for better from some of the other nine Sleuthing Women.
Shanda Kinkade
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun!

The characters and situations were just wacky enough to be incredibly fun but still completely plausible. It was a fun mystery that I didn't figure out before all was revealed. That's a rarity with me and mysteries.
Tracey Myers
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I expected a cutesy corny story based on the title and that's what I got. It was a fun, light read even if I had predicted the ending very early on. Although it was fun, I'd probably focus on other books on my list before reading others in the series.
Helen
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mayhem in New Jersey

I’m not sure Anastasia Pollack bears as much resemblance to Stephanie Plum as the author would like, but the story was a fun and fast-paced romp. Anastasia and her sons have much to cope with!
Jen
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super funny book, I read it years ago and I can still remember the story plot. The good ones stick with you.
Rachel
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - will be reading more books by Lois Winston.
Judy
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
The first book in a series, this was a good read for a recent trip to the beach.
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
So ridiculous and way too busy. Between the random communist grandmother, the stupidly contrived detective names, and in general a bunch of nonsense, I can't even.
Shannon Rickert
Now this was a new twist on a murder.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Murder Among Neighbors (Kate Austen, #1)
  • Skeleton in a Dead Space (Kelly O'Connell #1)
  • Absolute Liability (A Southern Fraud Thriller, #1)
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • Beached & Bewitched (A Magic Island Paranormal Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Darkness Falls (Immortal Beloved, #2)
  • In for a Penny (Cleopatra Jones, #1)
  • Karma's A Bitch (A Pet Psychic Mystery #1)
  • Last Call (Janet Black Mystery, #1)
  • Margaritas, Marzipan, and Murder (Cape Bay Cafe Mystery, #3)
  • Gusty Lovers and Cadavers (Raina Sun Mystery #2)
  • Mind Your Manors (A Flamingo Realty Mystery, #1)
  • Pruning the Dead (A Garden Squad Mystery #1)
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • Cookies and Scream (Baker Street Mysteries #2)
  • The Bad Break (A Riley Ellison Mystery #2)
  • Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #1)
  • Who Murdered Garson Talmadge (Matt Kile Mystery, #1)
Newsletter sign-up: https://app.mailerlite.com/webforms/l...

USA Today bestselling and award-winning author Lois Winston writes mystery, romance, romantic suspense, chick lit, women’s fiction, children’s chapter books, and nonfiction under her own name and her Emma Carlyle pen name. Kirkus Reviews dubbed her critically acclaimed Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery series, “North Jersey’s more mature

Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mysteries (6 books)
  • Death by Killer Mop Doll (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery, #2)
  • Revenge of the Crafty Corpse (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery, #3)
  • Decoupage Can Be Deadly (an Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #4)
  • A Stitch to Die For (An Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery Book 5)
  • Scrapbook of Murder (An Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery 6)