Start by marking “Out of the Darkness (Dark Horse, #2)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Darkness (Dark Horse, #2)

Out of the Darkness (Dark Horse #2)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,617 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
"It's hard enough with two people. Throwing a third into the mix is... I don't know, doesn't it seem like we're asking for trouble?" It hasn't been easy, but horse trainer Dan Wheeler is beginning to build a new life for himself, finding his place in California with his lovers Evan Kaminski and Jeff Stevens. When things are going well, it's spectacular: there's affection, ...more
Published August 9th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Darkness

Baba
4.5 stars.****Review completed April 11, 2013

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-04-07um202354_zpsf69ad095.png

"Nah. It's art. It's not about intelligence--although if it was, you'd have no problem, Dan--but it's more just about impressions, or feelings. Just look at them and let your mind go, see where it takes you."
"So, art's kind of like an acid trip?"
"Good art is." Jeff's voice is warm and rumbling, and Dan really wants to haul his ass into the truck and drive them somewhere private. They have got to get the rules worked out.(…)

Loved it!

Out of the Dark
It's just me Shelly B
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to It's just me Shelly B by: Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter
Let me just start by saying that before starting this book I had doubts that it could be as good as the first book in this series, I'm very happy to say I wrong...very wrong...this book was even BETTER than the first!!!!!

So did I love it.......

Yes I DID!!!!!!!!!

In this book Dan is settled in California and trying to battle his past and trying to figure out how and where he fits in, with this love triangle. Evan and Jeff are trying to be patient with him and help him through all this but tempers
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Ok, one of the things I love most about this series, is the same thing that frustrates me. I have read a lot ( and I do mean a lot) of ménage stories, you could even say, I have a thing for them. This series really does go into the difficulties of having three people in a relationship. They all have issues, quirks and problems. They have fallen into roles in the relationship.
Evan and Dan have the most trouble, with each other and I think with themselves. And that's what I mean, I like that it i
A Girl Has No Name
4.5 stars rounded up to 5!

I have been looking forward to reading Out of the darkness for quite a while now. If I’m honest, I actually wanted to read it the moment I finished Dark Horse and the three short stories illustrating what happened in Dan, Evan and Jeff’s past. However, the more I fell in love with a story and its characters, the more afraid I am that the sequel might turn out to be a disappointment.

Luckily, this wasn’t the case for Out of the Darkness. It definitely wasn’t an easy read
Bev
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

More trials and tribulations in the blossoming ménage of Dan, Evan and Jeff. 4.5 stars and

Will Evan ever trust Dan and stop jumping to conclusions?? Will Dan ever feel secure and comfortable enough in this new relationship to let the other two guys in and tell them what he's thinking instead of letting them figure it out for themselves?? Will Jeff ever be able to accept that the only place Evan and Dan don't rub each other up the wrong way is in bed?? These and many more questions will hopeful
Eva
In book 2 we have lots of complications...

Miscommunications...

Trust issues...

And beautiful, beautiful, beautiful men and horses ❤

(view spoiler)

I have already started Of Dark and Bright
Isabel
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isabel by: Eva
I'm feeling so good reading this series! I'm loving the menage and it is interesting to see how Dan, Evan and Jeff are trying to make the relationship work! And it's working... with some arguments, jealously... but they are actually so good together!

And the horses... love them!

photo 3737e8a6-e284-45d2-8819-98c2a3f284f8_zps046e27b0.jpg
Debra
I really like these guys, but sometimes I feel like I'm watching a dog chase its tail. Finally towards the end they are making some headway and in the epilogue it seems like they have a fighting chance of making all this work.

Evan needs to work on not acting on every jealous impulse, Dan needs to work on talking to the others and Jeff needs a very nice reward for dealing with these two. These guys have so much chemistry and really are fun to listen to once they get going. I am hoping to see a lo
KatieMc
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ménage, cover-fail
Four stars and a commitment to this series. Out of the Darkness is the 2nd installment of the Dark Horse series and it's better than the first.

The story picks up immediately after Dark Horse and follows Jeff, Dan and Evan in the early days of their committed ménage relationship. This story addresses the mechanics of establishing their ménage relationship: what's allowed, what's not, what about twosomes, and basically how to establish comfort and trust. Much like any budding relationship, there
Alvin
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: menage
A GREAT SEQUEL!

I'm very relieved that this sequel turned to be a great one. I really really liked it!

This is how the first book should be I think.
I liked the writing. The plot was way way way better for me! It was just right. Balanced mix of humor, romance, and angst. It was really good for me. And no unnecessary plot twists were here thank heavens.

I adore Dan, Evan, and Jeff!!! This time, I can now distinguish their own characteristics and their roles in their relationship.
If I can associate t
Cory
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I really love about this series is that nothing just magically works out. The things that would most likely happen in real life, happen in this book.

Dan is still having a hard time trying to adjust to his new life in California. Not only is he trying to come to terms with losing Justin, but he's trying to feel his way through his new relationship with Evan and Jeff.

I really enjoy the dynamic between Dan/Jeff/Evan. Although Jeff and Evan have an open relationship, this type of relation
agirlwithoutwings
This was so FRUSTRATING! There were times I wanted the main characters to really stop trying and times I was desperate for them not to! And there are not two of them but three of them, so you must know what I’m talking about! But that is technically what makes this story seem real. What I mean is this have to be so difficult and complicated, isn’t it? So much so that honestly sometimes I really was wondering how easier and better it would’ve been if Dan had got only one lover, I really like Dan ...more
Christina
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Out of the Darkness takes place immediately after Dark Horse. While Dan is trying to find his place with Jeff and Evan, he's still constantly over-thinking every step of the way. This book further highlights the imbalance in their relationship. I love the connection between Dan and Jeff. Jeff is the calming force in the relationship. He's strong, self-assured, and has an ability to bring everyone together. Although, we find that this isn't always the case, even Jeff has his doubts and fears. As
Rossy
This book was almost 5 stars for me. In my opinion the writing itself was perfect butt there were a few things missing towards the end that would have made all the drama in both books worth every second. It is of course a testament to the author's skills, that i equally disliked and pitied the main character. I realized that my dislike was due to my own personality and approach to relationships. The mc was portrayed accuractly in both personality and past relationships, i just still wished he wa ...more
Christy
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the author has done an incredible job here, showcasing what happens after. After the sex, after the confrontation, after the acceptance, and after their determination to give a ménage relationship a chance. 'Out of the Darkness' is the second installment in Kate Sherwood's series, 'Dark Horse'. This book picks up the story the very next day after Dan, Evan, and Jeff have agreed to try a ménage. I've found being half of a couple very difficult, at times. So I wasn't surprised to see these ...more
Tina

Out of the Darkness is the sequel to Dark Horse. Dan is beginning to build a new life for himself, finding his place in California with his lovers Evan and Jeff. When things are going well, it's spectacular, but things don't seem to go well all that often. Dan continues to struggle with the loss of Julian and sometimes doubts that he even deserves to be happy. He is a late-comer to the relationship, since Evan and Jeff have been together a long time. He feels like a third wheel.

Evan is jealous
Ana
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, m-m, romance, m-m-m
This second book of the Dark Horse series was a complete struggle of how to get into a real relationship where three persons are involved, It's how to make to work a polyamory history where nobody wants to be wounded or damage the feelings of the other.
 photo image_zpsc685b38f.jpg

Well, I enjoyed this a little less than the first one, the continuos introspection of Dan sometimes gets me a little bored, but it's a great read anyway. My only complain is that we only can see the Dan POV and I wanted to know the feelings and t
Karen K
Mmm - I just love these boys and this series. I'm really sad to see it end. Out of the Darkness picks up exactly where Dark Horse left off and doesn't disappoint at all. It was emotional, heart-breaking, heart-warming, thought-provoking, sexy, and beautiful all rolled up in one neat little package that I'm really going to miss. Dan is such a wonderful, diverse character and he totally found his match and heart with Jeff and Evan. I love how Kate puts so much into all her characters, no matter ho ...more
Nic
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book, Dark Horse, ended with Dan, Evan and Jeff just starting out to develop their relationship. This sequel focuses on how they each handle being involved in the three-way relationship. They struggle to ensure their relationship is more than sex and set rules aimed at looking after individual needs. There is a lot of soul-searching, particularly from Dan who continues to struggle with the loss of his past lover.

I publish all my m/m reviews on my blog so if you want to see all my m/m r
DarienMoya

4.5

Really am happy how it ended, but I am not completely satisfied. I would love to see these very sexy men again, and I would love for Dan to finally remove this stick from his ass(no pun intended).

I am still deeply in love with Evan, even though he is one jealous motherfecker but he is "oh so delicious". This menage is realistic and shows the work it takes to make a relationship with three people work. I hope my goodreads friends go and pick up this series and enjoy it as much as I do.

My Revie
Awilk -never sleeps-
Kate Sherwood again wrote a story full of heart and emotion. I honestly could not stop reading. I loved the first story in this series, but somehow this was even better.

The only thing I would of liked to see was Jeff and Evan learn more about Dan's traumatic and horrid past.

I will no doubt be re-reading this series again, once I get to the end.
Victoria  love books
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazing, mm, audio-mm
Need to get through all of them then I will do the review. But hells bells this is sooooo good!!!
Kassa
Aug 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Darkness is the sequel to Dark Horse and you must read the first to really appreciate the second. As a follow up, the story establishes the threesome and gives hope that they will finally work things out to stay together. Unfortunately the story isn’t as engaging and interesting as the previous book and I found myself wondering why the characters made the choices they did. There is a definite lack of context to Jeff and Evan that is a glaring hole in the third person, present tense wr ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Adara
4.5 stars.

Oh Justin! Why? The book is not about him, but every time Dan thought about him he made me cry. It's like everything that's pure was distilled in their relationship. I appreciated that Dan knows he'll never be able to replace him and what they had, but all the grief that was in the first book Dark Horse in this book becomes a serene acceptance, where the bitterness of the loss is replaced by the sweetness of memory and the hope for the future.

In this book Dan deals with his menage with
Smith Barney
SO-again..Chris was just the ripest-juiciest-peach of a character. I actually liked Dannyboy with Chris..where he seemed as different as night and day. He was a much more solidified and authentic character with their witty banter and chemistry-drunk moments. Their writing had a completely different tone..it was almost Jekyll and Hyde-like in its appearance.

EVAN-still my close 2nd..behind Chris..he seems to make insecurity attractive and becoming.

JEFF-what can I say..might as well be put out to
Gina
 photo zrunningamok_zps84b1f481.gif
Let’s me start out with my usual enthusiasm when I really love a book and say OMG OMG OMG! I love these three guys! And I love book two better then the first one in the series Dark Horse (Dark Horse, #1) by Kate Sherwood.

In this book Dan, Evan and Jeff are still working on making their relationship work. And while the sex is passionate and steamy they need to work on their relationship outside of sex. And of course Dan is still struggling with his issues and he is horrible past still effecting his present. I have to admit there were tim
Shira Anthony
I loved this series by Kate Sherwood, although I hadn't really expected I would enjoy it as much as I did. The idea of a threesome relationship working - interesting. But I think what made it work was the thought that Ms. Sherwood put into exploring the difficulties that would come with a menage. Excellent sequel to "Dark Horse." In some ways, I enjoyed this book even more than the first!

MILD SPOILERS: (view spoiler)
Andi
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eros-rising
Kate Sherwood told the story of Dan, Evan and Jeff over the course of two books, and it was an extremely intelligent choice on her part. With three characters from such disparate backgrounds and carrying lots of unmatched baggage, to rush the relationship and gloss over the inevitable difficulties would have been a mistake. As it is, she took her time and let the characters go through a gradual journey, complete with missteps and plenty of misunderstandings.

Along similar lines, I felt the author
Trix
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I would give this a 3.5 star rating.

I admit the plot line was very interesting and the story contained quite a number of issues the threesome had to overcome, most of which even couples had to endure. Lack of trust, insecurities, former hurts, jealousy, establishing one's worth and status within the relationship, coming to terms with a less than perfect past and how much of it influences your present and future.

All three characters were flawed but you loved them more because of them, be
Arch Bala
I thought Dan was a bit selfish when it comes to sex with Evan and Jeff. I wasn’t that happy that at this stage of the series, Evan who is the most charming in the trio still gets left out. At 71%, I’m almost homicidal over Dan’s drama queen attitude. Perhaps I just hate that Dan feels more towards Jeff and Evan was the one groveling for affection all the time. I get that Evan was too high strung but I feel that Dan should’ve been honest with what he feels about Jeff in the first place.

Dan was
  • The Strongest Shape
  • More Fun With Dick And Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #2)
  • More (More, #1)
  • The Hot Floor
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • The Distance Between Us (The Distance Between Us, #1; Wilde's #2)
  • Beyond Complicated
  • Bound To Please (Playing for Keeps, #2)
  • Sandpipers' Secrets (Sandpipers, #1)
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top, #1)
  • The Foster Family
  • Loving Edits (Basque, #1)
  • Golden Dancer  (Dangerous Dancers, #1)
  • Three Traders (Falls Chance Ranch #2)
  • By Any Other Name (By Any Other Name #1)
  • Double Blind (Special Delivery, #2)
  • Safe Words (Deviations, #5)

Dark Horse (3 books)
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse, #1)
  • Of Dark and Bright (Dark Horse, #3)
“So he slips his head off of Jeff's shoulder and slides out from under Evan's Armand shuffles down to the bottom of the bed. It doesn't have a lot of dignity this part of their sleeping arrangement. He's complained about this before but Jeff just nodded, and Evan had kissed the back of his neck, and they'd both snuggled in a little tighter, pinning him in the middle even more effectively than before.” 1 likes
“The three of you were pretty cute last night, with all that touchy-feely crap."

"Yeah, that lasted for about two minutes before you dragged Evan back over to the bar."

"Dude, we were hunting Turkey. [drinking bourbon] it was important." Chris grins. "That boy can drink, I'll give him that."

"That's big of you. From the way you were hanging off each other by the end of the night, I was thinking I might get Jeff all to myself."

Chris shoots him a look. "Is that what you want? If you had your way? Just Jeff?"

Dan Isn't really ready to answer that question, not even from Chris. "Wow, you'd switch teams just for me? You'd steal Evan away just so I could take his boyfriend? That's sweet man, really."

Dan knows that Chris recognizes the deflection, but he lets Dan get away with it. "That's the kind if friend I am, Dan. Maybe you should take a lesson - the next time I need a wingman in a straight bar, it wouldn't kill you to step up."

"Yeah, okay, I'll keep that on mind.”
0 likes