Start by marking “Invasion (C.H.A.O.S., #1)” as Want to Read:
Invasion (C.H.A.O.S., #1)

Invasion

(C.H.A.O.S. #1)

He didn't ask for the job, but now all that stands between us and chaos... is Colt

Colt McAlister was having the summer of his life. He spent his days surfing and his nights playing guitar on the beach with friends. He even met a girl and got his first car. But everything changes when his parents are killed in a freak accident.

He's forced to leave his old life behind and m
Published January 4th 2011 by Thomas Nelson Inc (first published December 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Invasion, please sign up.
Lance Tanner I read this book in 8th grade along with the other two in the series and I absolutely loved them. Now, being a Junior in Highschool, I am absolutely c…moreI read this book in 8th grade along with the other two in the series and I absolutely loved them. Now, being a Junior in Highschool, I am absolutely considering reading the books again just because they were a big part of my middle school life. Of course, this is my experience but I would definitely recommend this book to any junior high schooler that's into science-fiction and a little bit of military action. (less)

Start your review of Invasion (C.H.A.O.S., #1)
Jerry
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A crazy, intense adventure novel that feels like a cross between a DCOM and a SyFy channel telefilm.
Tina
Dec 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebooks, ya, did-not-finish
Original post at One More Page

I wasn't sure what to expect when I requested Invasion by J.S. Lewis from Booksneeze, so I had zero expectations when I started reading the book, too. Invasion is the first book in the C.H.A.O.S. series, and the first book tells the story of Colt McAlister, orphaned at 16 after his parents died in a car crash. Soon after he moved with his grandfather in Arizona, weird things start happening such as weird creatures chasing him, and random people trying to kill him fo
Nicole
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book had potential at the beginning, and really kind of drew me in despite some of the weak writing. It didn't maintain the momentum, though. About the time I hit the halfway point, I was getting bored. It was pretty cliched and cheesy, and to a point that's inevitable in most fantasy, but a good fantasy novel puts a twist on things. This one didn't have a twist. It was just a compilation of everything you might expect. I also struggled with how unbelievable it was. I'm pretty good as suspe ...more
Celine
It's been a while since I've read such a powerful science-fiction book. Invasion is a surprisingly gripping read. The second an alien that looked like Bigfoot came up, I was hooked.

When his parents die in a strange car accident, Colt has to live with his WW2 veteran grandfather. Yet he cannot get the idea out of his head that something about his parents' death isn't right. He suspects that one of the worlds largest companies, Trident Biotech, has something to do with it. While trying to uncover
Scoot
Feb 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, arc
Colt is the youngest son in a family full of brothers. He is the smallest, but has the wit and personality to stand out above the crowd. Colt doesn’t know it, but his is entire world is shrouded in mystery and lies. The wool is pulled from his eyes when his parents are killed in a tragic accident and he is sent to live in a new state with his grandfather. Colt learns quickly that the world around him is not what it seems and he is pulled into action with his friends Oz & Dani to solve a mystery ...more
Lou
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A.W.E.S.O.M.E!
Slow in some parts but I did like it, now I NEED the next book!
Sandy
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Colt is 16 and he is not ready for the life he has been thrown into. With the death of his parents, he goes to live with his Grandfather in Phoenix, his grandfather who fought in the second world war. But his grandfather never talks about that time.

Because of an article that his mother a reporter was writing, Colt is in danger too. But he vows to get to the truth of his parents accident. In his new school, he meets Ozzy and reconnects with his old friend Dani. The three of them will get into al
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Review:

In a nutshell Invasion is Men In Black with a young adult twist. Yep, Aliens are real and like the movie mentioned above some are good, some are bad and its up to a secret organization to make sure they all remain hidden. That being said, I am totally impressed by how the Author made Invasion feel unique.

I love the alternative history told brilliantly through the use of Comic books. Letting the reader know about Colt's love for the Phantom Flyer early on and then later reintroducing the c
Liliana
Review on Lili Lost in a Book

After the death of his parents, 16-year-old Colt moves from California to Arizona to live with his grandfather. In no time, Colt's life is turned upside down. Suspicions arise dealing with the death of his parents. Colt was told that they died in a car accident, but this car crash may not be just an "accident." You see, Colt's mom found out about a mind control program being run by a large company. Her goal was to publish an article about this for everyone to read. U
Danielle
Title: Invasion
Author: Jon S. Lewis
Series: C.H.A.O.S., 1
Format: ebook
Length: 641 pages (iPhone)
Rating: 3.5 stars

Synopsis:
He's forced to leave his old life behind and move t
Vanya D.
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I requested from NetGalley "Alienation" to read and review, I had no idea it was the second installment to a series. Well, it turned out that there was book one that I had to read beforehand and that book was "Invasion". I honestly don't regret starting on this series because it was absolutely amazing. I'm already into book two because I just can't get enough of high school students Colt, Oz and Danielle and their adventures with the extra terrestrials and the biomedical Trident facilities. ...more
Amy Jacobs
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
What originally attracted me to this novel for review was the cover. It has the eerie and sci-fi look to it. Granted, I am not a huge fan of science fiction but the cover kept calling to me.

In the first book of a series, Colt McAlister is a surfer, youngest of seven brothers, and has a crush on a girl like any normal 16 year old boy. Unfortunately, he is far from normal whether he knows yet or not. When his parents die in an accident he is forced to move in with his Grandfather in a different s
Lianne Burwell
Aug 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, ya
I really liked the concept of this book. A 16 year-old boy loses his parents, finds out that his family has a history of fighting other-dimensional invaders, and ends up going against the conspiracy that killed his parents because of an article his mother was writing.

Concept good, execution lousy.

I know this is aimed at younger readers, but I still expect it to make some internal sense. For example, you have the scientist working for the conspiracy who was feeding the mother the information that
Hector Romero
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Invasion
C.H.A.O.S

In the book Invasion it talked about how the
boy named Colt goes to this Area 51 kind of camp that his dad doesn't even know what it really is. He thinks it was just a tour of the camp. He left his son in but it's a trading military camp for alien invasions. In the first fire pages you meet Bigfoot, but not the Normal one, he has a robotic leg and arm and a robot head in his shoulder so it could talk for him. And he is like the leader, but he just showed you around.
So bigfoot se
Cindy
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am by far not a fan of sci-fi. But something drew me to this book. I am so glad I read it. While it has a sci-fi element it also have a bit of a government/adventure plot to it that makes it fun.

This does set up for a series of books. There isn't too much aliens/sci-fi and it really is only gleamed over. But I cannot WAIT to read more aliens in the next few books.

Another element that I liked was the bit of history/take on history that was given. I think it fit nicely in the book and really ad
Michelle
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Colt just wants a normal life, hanging out with friends and the girl he has a crush on. But first he has to save the world... literally! This is the first book in an exciting new series that introduces sixteen-year-old surfer Colt McAllister. Colt's life changes when his parents are murdered to prevent exposing a secret: aliens from another world are running major corporations and want to invade our planet. The aliens and technology that Colt grew up reading about in comic books are real! There ...more
Jesse (Wayne's King!)
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
AH! I had such high expectations for this book, but it really let me down.
The actual story behind me and this book is that I’ve had it for about 5 months.
The reason I stopped this book back then was because I got a new book that I really wanted to read, and I figured because I wasn’t loving the book I could read that book, then go back to this one. But that obviously never happened until now.
When I looked on my bookshelf and saw this one at the way bottom, my mind went straight to “ooh, I feel l
Whitney
After being lazy for a few days, I finally decided to do my review for Invasion. I wasn't really sure what to think about Invasion when I first got it. I'm closer to the age that this book targets, so my review can be pretty trustworthy. This review doesn't want to be written, but bear with me.

Invasion begins with Colt McAlister, a normal teen in California who loves surfing, the beach, and his friends. His life changes when his parents are supposedly killed in a head-on collision. Forced to mo
Stephanie
Jon S. Lewis-Invasion
336 pages

This book has a lot of great aspects, but I felt like the story progression was a bit slow. There were several times it just felt like too much filler was happening. This kind of books often requires a lot of set up, world building, and explaining, and all of that stuff is good with me, but there were just a few too many lulls for my taste.

All of that aside, I like Colt. He is an interesting character with an interesting history. The little stuff that bothered me
JOIE
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I read this back in 2016 I think, but my goodreads says I never rated it, I'm pretty sure I gave a 3 stars then too.
The plot was good, but I'm hoping for a lot more in book 2. I was hoping it had gone a different direction at the beginning. I hoped he would have joined the school and learned to fight and stuff before shit hit the fan. I guess the next book?
The writing and storytelling were good as well, very easy to read, but a tad slow in some places.
The characters were fine as well, but colt
Ari
Oct 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
This was a very entertaining book about aliens and mystery and I found myself drawn into the story and ready to be part of this adventure. The suspense was great and the action was fast paced; I also liked the writing, as it was engaging even though it felt like it was intended for a much younger audience.

There's a pretty great cast of characters.
It's been a while since I read it, but I do remember liking Colt, the main character, as he is quite relatable based on his age and his actions. I als
Aubrie Rose
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Clean: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️✨
Fun: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

*I listened to this book, and I’m not super great at paying real close attention to anything on audiobook, so there may be something I forgot in this review. I will edit this if needed when I read it again.*

This book was amazing. There was so much action and mystery, the perfect amount of description so I knew what was going on and could I vision it without it being boring. The HATMOV scene that I always complain about being messed up was so good!
T
Natalie
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, sci-fi
Colt's parents die in a tragic car accident and Colt goes to live with his grandfather in Arizona. Oz, a boy from school, acts like he's known Colt forever, but Colt doesn't know from where. Then Colt finds an unfamiliar cell phone in his backpack and a text message saying his parents were murdered. Now he's dodging assassins and trying to figure out who is behind all of it. He's drawn into a world of aliens and other worlds that he's not quite ready for. But he'll have to catch up quickly. His ...more
Mary Sebastijanovic
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do you read conspiracy theory on line, well this book covers them all, from lizard shape shifters to government working with aliens, to babies with mix alien DNA. The only thing is missing the moon theory.

I did enjoy this book, but more in a middle grade level read.

The characters were some what developed, and I am not very good person to judge fight scenes, but those where boring for me, that’s the only reason for the the missing star.

I did convince my 4 grader to read the series and I think
Aurora Celeste
This is the first book in the C.H.A.O.S. Series. Even though I am a series completionist I think this will be my last read in this series. I just didn't connect with this book at all. Perhaps it is because I'm not really in the target demographic of pre-teen boys (who I think would eat this up and ask for more), but I found all the technical problems too glaring to enjoy the book. First was the author's problem with starting the book. He jumps us into a "boot camp trial" at the CHAOS Agency wher ...more
Jeni
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this fun, cheesy book. Could have done with a bit more editing. It was a little repetitive and a little all over the place. This sci-fi story has action, heart, and a good ending that sets up the second book.
Allison Kosters
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

It’s a pretty decent ya book. My daughter wanted the series so I decided to read it too. I’m a huge Enders game book fan. This is probably along those lines. Adults are evil kids are awesome. But it works.
Tara Furcini
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good, can see how it opens up into a series. Fun that it's set in Phoenix. Missing a level of emotional detail somehow that would give it that extra immersive draw, but a good ride nonetheless. ...more
Dick Humphries
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a fun book to read.I enjoyed it.I will read all of them.
Amber
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, as did my 10 year old. I love the author's voice and style and writing perspective. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Lies (Gone, #3)
  • Monster (Monster, #1)
  • The Lives of Saints (Grishaverse)
  • Light (Gone, #6)
  • Dark Eden (Dark Eden, #1)
  • The Zodiac Paradox
  • Windchaser (Dinotopia, #1)
  • Lord of Winter (Fae of Darkness, #1)
  • The World of the Witcher
  • Fae King's Temptation (Court of Bones and Ash, #1)
  • Fae King (The Crystal Kingdom, #1)
  • Found by Frost (Wings, Wands and Soul Bonds, #1)
  • Stolen by the Fae (Fae's Claim #1)
  • Bartered to the Fae Lord (Fated Mates, #1)
  • Dark Fae (Dark Fae, #1)
  • Shifted Fate (The Wolves of Forest Grove, #1)
  • Seeking the Fae (Daughter of Light #1)
  • Knotted by the Fae (Fae's Claim, #4)
Also writes as J.S. Lewis.

C.H.A.O.S. (3 books)
  • Alienation (C.H.A.O.S., #2)
  • Domination (C.H.A.O.S., #3)

News & Interviews

“Will you say something?" he asked.
"Like what? Congratulations on almost getting yourself killed? I mean, you just told me that you flew here on some kind of winged motorcycle while masked men in jet packs tried to shoot you with ray guns. Forgive me if I don't do cartwheels through the restaurant while I try to decide if you've lost your mind.”
7 likes
“I'm actually supposed to meet someone."
Oz smiled. "A lady friend? I don't know why I'm surprised. Every girl on campus is talking about you."
"Why does it sound creepy when you say it like that?”
6 likes