Start by marking “Edge of Destiny (Guild Wars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Edge of Destiny (Guild Wars, #2)

Edge of Destiny

(Guild Wars #2)

Destiny Called - They Answered

In the dark recesses of Tyria, elder dragons have awoken from millennial slumbers. First came Primordus, which stirred in the Depths forcing the asura to flee to the surface. Half a century later, Jormag awoke and drove the norn from the frozen climes of the Northern Shiverpeaks, corrupting sons and brothers along the way. A generation later,
Published December 28th 2010 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Edge of Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edge of Destiny

Stefanie
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, game-novel
It wasn't too easy rating this book. Ultimately, I have to compare it to Ghosts of Ascalon. While both books are standalones and written by different authors, they tell stories in between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.

For the first 50 or so pages I believed I'd enjoy Edge of Destiny over Ghosts of Ascalon. I liked the characters better, I also admittedly liked the premise of the book better. However, Edge of Destiny quickly tumbles from intriguing story lines and loveable characters to lackluster
Garrett
Apr 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
I've played Guild Wars for over 6 years now, I've completed most of the game and expansions, I believe I have a decent grasp of the universe and the goings on of it. I know about the events that changed Tyria, the continent on which the Guild Wars games are based, into what it is. J. Robert King takes what I know and ignores most of it. From time jumps of indeterminable amounts, "80s montage" moments, hollow and single-minded characters, a lack of depth in respect to the universe, a repetition o ...more
Talizmyn
Edge of Destiny is the second book in the Guild Wars series, bridging the gap between the online-role-playing-game, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. It features a character from each playable race in the game in the main cast, and we are brought right into a world of conflict and tension between these races as they battle a greater evil; dragon. The characters are interesting, the settings are beautiful, and the battles are both fun to read and action-packed.

Sadly, Edge of Destiny is a terribly bo
Trent
Jun 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book… How can something start out so well only to go south so hard.

Roughly the first half of Edge of Destiny is sheer brilliance. The characters are lively, funny, and unique. We get to meet and understand each member of the guild with all their quirks and idiosyncrasies, and I absolutely fell in love with them.

The brotherly relationship between Rytlock and Logan was so endearing, as was the almost paternal relationship between Snaff and Zojja. They were all positively driven individuals, a
David
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, this book is less serious and less real compared to Ghosts of Ascalon. On the other hand, this book is more fun and definitely adds to the anticipation for the release of Guild Wars 2.

If you're a GW player, you'll find loads to love in this book. Lots of hints of what's to come. The whole thing reads like a GW play session, going out with regular guildies and taken on quests and missions.

If you're not, I suspect you'll find lots in this
Marie
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Edge of Destiny details the formation and falling out of the guild Destiny’s Edge. The members of Destiny’s Edge are to be reunited in Guild Wars 2 to fight the elder dragons, so for anyone planning on playing Guild Wars 2, who wants to be caught up on the storyline, it’s a good book to read.

But aside from filling the reader in on events in Tyria between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, this isn't a worthwhile read.

The descriptions of places, people, and actions were adequate, but the dialogue and c
Béla Balogh
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
Pretty good storyline in general. And also really great characters. Everyone is likeable, and relatable, even though this is an MMORPG adaptation. In an MMORPG, you don't actually connect with characters as much. But this story shows the other side of the whole game. I am waiting for the sequels and can't wait to play with the game after reading this. :D Great job for the author and the whole creative design branch! :D
This isn't another crappy book adaptation from video games, which is either t
PuckSwaen
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's a nice background story about the mentors in the Guild Wars 2 game. Easy to read, small fantasy story.
Mrs Giggles
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Edge Of Destiny is set in the world of the MMORPG Guild Wars 2, and it can stand alone. However, unlike most fantasy franchise novels, this one is surprisingly light on exposition, probably too light as I doubt folks unfamiliar with the world of Tyria will get the full picture of what is happening here. The relationship between Caithe and Faolain, for example, may leave many scratching their heads, especially given that there is hardly any explanation about the Nightmare Court.

Anyway, this story
John Christensen
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
If you've been playing Guild Wars 2, as I have, then you know about Destiny's Edge. They're a major component of the game's storyline, a group of heroes who joined together to fight the agents of the Elder Dragons of the world. Elder Dragons in the Guild War universe are basically sentient, elemental forces that want to destroy everything. This group fought back against them, until something happened and they entirely broke apart. If you're like me, you're curious about what the full back-story ...more
CJ
Feb 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Normally, two stars is the lowest rating I give to a book I actually finish, since if it's worse, I won't finish it. At 60 books a year and maybe 35 years left, I have just over two thousand books left in my life, and I don't want to waste time. However, I'll give nearly any book a second chance, and that's what I did with this. I'm a big fan of the game Guild Wars 2, and I really liked the idea of getting to know some of the heroic NPCs of the game. Well... I could have gotten all that I needed ...more
Tapio Kurkinen
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
At the start of this review, I'd like to give you some context. I kind of enjoy the video games Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. Enough to have spent close to 9000 hours playing them in the past 14 years. I never read any of the books before but finally decided to see what they were all about and ordered all three. This was the first to arrive in the mail so I decided to read this one first.

As you can see from the number of stars I gave, I'm not a huge fan of this book. The first 250 pages of the bo
Glenn
Mar 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
I've played and enjoyed Guild Wars and picked this up prior to Guild Wars 2's release in order to explore how the setting had changed between games. While I found Ghosts of Ascalon(the first Guild Wars novel) to be alright, Edge of Destiny was a chore to get through.

Whenever I read a book based on a videogame, I go in with lowered expectations... I see them as marketing tools. Edge of Destiny was obviously written as such, and felt more videogame-y than most(ie: one character uses her profession
Mike
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
With a somewhat good beginning, I was expecting more of a story from this book. As a fan of the original Guild Wars, I came in a little bit biased toward liking the story. However, about halfway though, the story begins to fall flat. At the very end, I began to actively dislike one of the characters because of his sychophantic love for the Queen of the humans. Perhaps it is my distrust of authority, especially authority that is not legitimated as necessary, but I really felt that this person's i ...more
Paul Williams
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book starts off on a slow manner, sifting through different stories of the characters who will ultimately be brought together as a group. However this ends up being two groups then then merge into one group to head off to fight Dragonspawn (more Dragonspawn and oh more Dragonspawn) and ultimately a Dragon.

My thoughts.... whilst the expectation of the first novel was set, this was a disappointment. Too much repetition on what was done, the fights too easily won in the context of the storyte
Derrick
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
The book gives a good background to the story behind the heroes in GW2. We learn about the each of the character's past, especially when Logan choose to answer his Queen's summon instead of the staying with the plan to slay Kralkatorrik.

The opening was well paced, and the author writes dialogues in a witty way that was very enjoyable to read. However, after between defeating the first champion and the encounter the Kralkatorrik, the fights with the other champions feel like filler. There was nev
Luana
Oct 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
A shallow, superficial novel worthy of the reputation video game tie-ins have. After the pleasant surprise that was GHOSTS OF ASCALON, this was a disappointment. The plot boils down to a band of characters teaming up to fight monsters in a land plagued by Elder Dragons. Characters have one or two defining traits if they're lucky. Every other chapter seems to devolve into action scenes without any suspense since the characters are all supremely capable. It's like an eight year old mashing his act ...more
James
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Though set in the interesting Guild Wars universe, this book feels like the paint-by-numbers characters and plot are just excuses to string together a lot of long battle scenes. It doesn't do very much to add to or explore Guild Wars lore, which was very disappointing.

It compares very poorly with Guild Wars #1 _The Ghosts of Ascalon_, which was by a different author and concerns different characters. I gave up on this one about 2/3 of the way through.

Ryan
Mar 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Despite being part of the same series as Ghosts of Ascalon, this book could not be more different. To put it succinctly, this book's style of story telling and use of language suggests that it was intended for a pre-teen audience. It was not an enjoyable read at all, even taking into account that it is simply game supporting fiction.
Lily
May 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Wasn't as good as the first book. Wasted too much tell telling unnecessary battle anecdotes which ruined the final battle and last few scenes. Character portrayal was very poor. However, the beginning of the book proved for good writing, storytelling and entertainment. After midpoint, I lost interest.
Úna
Feb 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
genuinely one of the worst things I've ever read. i rage quit this book countless times. if I didn't love Guild Wars 2 so much there's no way I would have finished it.

Snaff was the only bright spot. love him.
Darren S. Philibert
Dec 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
i really hated giving this one star, but the author did not do this amazingly created world of Guild Wars justice. It felt very rushed, and i could care less about the characters. i love the GW game and world it has so much potential, but this book lacked greatly.
Joe Laferlita
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was okay. Nowhere near as good as Ghosts of Ascalon.
Ninthdream
Sep 22, 2014 added it
Shelves: novels
Not great, the book isn't written well and those love letter between Jennah and Logan were incredibly cheesey.
Staci
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really did not like this book. The author rushed this book big time, especially during the middle part. I also found that a lot of the battles were unbelievable and too easy.
Ruben
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I've been playing Guild Wars for 4 years, I have GWAMM and 50/50 and I'm familiar with the lore of the world of Tyria. However, I found the book written in a juevenile style I found kind of boring.
ThanatosBlood
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Zen
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ellis Johnson
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Before I get into nerdy lore stuff, the END is what makes this book worth reading. It has some really nice context for GW2 and it has the best writing. The end is pretty good! The rest, though, is...preetty poorly written background info. I understand its place in the story (not only to explain how Destiny's Edge formed, but to offset the note it ends on with something starkly different) but it could have been pulled off better.
Now for the nitpicking.
Oh my goodness the first half of this is SO W
Anthony
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm giving this book 3 stars for what it is: a quick backstory with small character development that helped me understand Destiny's Edge further. While playing the game, I didn't care much for the other members of Destiny's Edge save Logan and Caithe, and I only cared about them because I had played a Sylvari and a Human. While GW2 is a great game I didn't care much for Destiny's Edge because I knew nothing about them.

Edge Of Destiny has a strong beginning, though it's a little cheesy. Getting
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Ghosts of Ascalon (Guild Wars, #1)
  • Sea of Sorrows (Guild Wars, #3)
  • 騎士基本理論 (吾命騎士, #1)
  • Dance of the Damned
  • The Bone Palace (The Necromancer Chronicles, #2)
  • Doctor Who: Placebo Effect
  • Doctor Who: Salvation
  • Through Stone and Sea (Noble Dead, Series 2, #2)
  • The Dragon Done It
  • Doctor Who: Beltempest
  • Troublesome Minds (Star Trek)
  • Unholy Allies
  • Doctor Who: The Taint
  • Doctor Who: Zeta Major
  • Doctor Who: Demontage
  • Cinnabar Shadows (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #4)
  • Excelsior: Forged in Fire
  • 24 Declassified: Collateral Damage

Guild Wars (3 books)
  • Ghosts of Ascalon (Guild Wars, #1)
  • Sea of Sorrows (Guild Wars, #3)
“An overseer called him a traitor, and Rytlock killed him. That's how he became an overseer. Later, a legionnaire called him a deserter, and Rytlock killed him as well. That's how he became a legionnaire.” 4 likes