Start by marking “Dreams of Steam” as Want to Read:
Dreams of Steam

Dreams of Steam

This is Steampunk Travel back to a time when steam powered inventions ruled the land, water, and sky. It's a time of extraordinary contraptions and innovative ideas created by men and women who dared to ask the question, "What if?" Peer through the glazed window into a world long gone, but not forgotten. Make a cup of tea, find a comfortable chair, strap on your goggles, a ...more
Published July 15th 2010 by Kerlak Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about Dreams of Steam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreams of Steam

Jeremy Hicks
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend this well-edited anthology for anyone looking for an introduction to the Steampunk genre. It's a grabbag of tales by a talented group of writers guaranteed to satisfy any reader's desire to learn more about Steampunk, be it alternate history or an original setting. Not sure if I can pick a personal favorite from this collection so just read them all to find your own.
edifanob
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books, 2011-reads
Surprise, surprise. I read the whole book. Unusual? In this case yes because it contains short stories. I must admit that I struggled to read short stories in the past.
But this collection convinced me. There are two stories in form of poems which I think are good but not my cup of tea.
All in all refreshing and entertaining views in to the world of steam.

Full review in progress ...
Aaron Ritchey
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm fascinated by the whole steampunk phenomenon, but I have to say, the stories in this collection were very uneven. Some great stories, with a plot, good characters, a nice pay-off, but some of the stories just meandered through the pages, describing cool things, but no real story I could sink my teeth into.
Andrea Judy
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
A good anthology. Some of the work was better than others. Nick Valetino's story, Engine 351 and Seven Copper Bowls were the shining stars of this collection.
Lynn

Today's post is on Dreams of Steam edited by Kimberly Richardson. It is a short story anthology and is 246 pages long. The cover has a woman reading with a boiler behind her. The intended reader is someone who likes steampunk. There is language, talk of sex, and some violence in this anthology. Age 16 and up just to be safe. The stories go from third person close to first person from author to author. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- This is Steampunk! Travel back to a time whe
Jared Millet
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
First, let me recuse myself from giving anything like an unbiased review of this collection. Full disclosure: it includes my story "Dead Man's Hand," which the editor (Kimberly Richardson) assures me has creeped people out.

However, I'd like to give a shout-out to a few of my other favorite stories from the collection: "Black Rhino" by M. Keaton, "Five Copper Bowls" by Dale Carothers, "Harry Was One of Us" by Sara M. Harvey, and "Phoenix" by H. David Blaylock. All the stories were unique and crea
Vanessa Ricci-Thode
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
The best stories in this collection were good ideas that were poorly executed. I'm pretty apathetic about even the best stories in here and didn't even get past the first few pages of most of them. It's also pretty obvious that a copy editor didn't even think about looking at this collection.
Chris
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great anthology of short stories. All of the stories were well written but my favorites were Dead Man's Hand, The Bunker; Endeavour of the Rose, Five Copper Bowls, and Artificial Love. I can't wait to read the other books in Ms. Richardsons series.
Guy L. Pace
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a collection of short and short-short steampunk SF&F. It is a good collection of stories. Some were pretty good. Some ... well, not so much. It was worth the read, though. I've been out of touch with steampunk so this was a good view into where the genre stands now.
Brenda
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'll have a full review soon. I loved this analogy--the stories are different lengths, including some poetry, and all our unique. It was a great read.
Karine
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
So stories were very interesting, some were less. Still worth reading, though.
Drew Alfgren
Oct 04, 2010
Michelle
Dec 05, 2015
Kimberly Richardson
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kirk
David
rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2013
Angelia Sparrow
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: steampunk, my-books
A solid anthology of good to excellent steampunk stories, marred by some typos.
Nick Valentino
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sean Taylor
Dec 21, 2011
H. Blalock
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
James
Jul 17, 2016
Stephanie Osborn
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Stacy
Apr 01, 2012
D. Alan
Jul 10, 2012
Kimberly B. Richardson is the author of Tales From a Goth Librarian, The Decembrists, Tales From a Goth Librarian II, Mabon/Pomegranate, Open A, and The Path of a Tea Traveler. She is the creator of the Agnes Viridian series, the Maven Chronicles, and the Order of the Black Silk trilogy. She is also the editor of Realms of Imagination: An Urban Fantasy Anthology and the Steampunk anthology series ...more