Start by marking “Ain't Misbehavin': Tactics for Tantrums, Meltdowns, Bedtime Blues and Other Perfectly Normal Kid Behaviors” as Want to Read:

Bestselling author, psychotherapist, and leading parenting expert on tackling any child's worst behaviorFollowing her phenomenally successful, "Honey, I Wrecked the Kids, " parenting guru Alyson Schaefer addresses every parent's secret fear: their child is the one no parenting book can possibly help. In her newest book, she conquers, one by one, all those behavioral bugabo ...more
Published February 28th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ain't Misbehavin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ain't Misbehavin'

Start your review of Ain't Misbehavin': Tactics for Tantrums, Meltdowns, Bedtime Blues and Other Perfectly Normal Kid Behaviors
Jacqueline Wagenstein
Имаме удоволствието да обявим, че авторката на „Скъпи, провалих децата” и „Не, това не са глезотии”, пристига за пръв път в България през октомври 2014. Експерт с международно признание в областта на родителството, възпитанието и отглеждането на деца, Шейфър ще изнесе две лекции в Гранд хотел София на 25-и октомври!

Гостуването се организира от списание „Първите седем” със съдействието на издателство „Колибри”. Българските родители ще имат възможност да се запознаят с подходите и насоките, които
Tibby (she/her)
Alyson Schafer advocates a democratic parenting style in which parents release tasks and freedoms to their children with the expectation that children will handle them with responsibility. Helicopter parents need not apply. As soon as children do not manage their lives with responsibility parents step in and help. Help. Not take over and do it for them. Families are encouraged to use family meetings to create limits, rules, and routines that work for them. The idea behind all this being that, by ...more
Lee-Ann Sleegers
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ain't Misbehavin' by Alyson Schafer from Wiley and Sons Canada 2011

Ain't Misbehavin' is the latest of Alyson Schafer's parenting books. Unlike the other 2 books, this one is filled with solutions or suggestions to deal with different behaviours parents encounter on a regular basis. Ain't Misbehavin' groups behaviours by type covering everything from the bedroom to school to sibling rivalry to extra curricular activities. This books need not be read from start to finish if there is an area you re
Amanda Williamson
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciated reading a whole bunch of practical suggestions on how to deal with those tough moments with young children. Of course no-one will agree with every suggestion, but I loved that it got me thinking about alternative ways to react when those difficult moments come up. I haven't found suggestions laid out in such a simple format before, so I am really pleased with this book (can you tell I have a two year old?). Some of my favourite tips were:

*Make house rules that don’t change -
Abigale Miller
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I usually stay away from parenting books, but decided to read this one after it was recommended by a friend. Overall I really liked it. I'm sure it's not for everyone (parenting styles & approaches are just too varied!) but for me, it really aligns & supports some views I already had. The overall approach of the book is to give suggestions & scripts for helping kids be more independent, and how to help the family function in a democratic way. I've seen some of the comments take issue with the de ...more
Becca Naughton
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting-books
This is set up more like a reference book for advice on specific issues you may be having raising children. The chapters and sections are clearly labeled and easy to reference when you are looking for advice pertaining to each topic. This is not so much a book I would recommend reading cover to cover unless you are really experiencing all of the issues listed in the book. However, the first chapter gives a basis for her philosophy on parenting and sets up the rest of the book and should probably ...more
Nini
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every problems that you may have encountered as a parent, Alyson provides reasonable, doable, practical advice. Problems being laid out and we are brought to understand the problem. Solutions provided, with an alternative she wrote as "but what if". For me, that was the genius part as each child is different and unique. The solutions given are pretty comprehensive with a step-by-step and sample script.

I would highly recommend that every parent read and own a copy of this book. Just flip through
Carol
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked how this book was arranged. It opens with the general parenting philosophy the author teaches and promotes and then each chapter addresses specific situations applying her techniques - so I could go directly to relevant areas like toddler too rough with baby or refusing to brush teeth. I might buy this one because I can see myself wanting to refer to things again and again especially because I too tend to lose it during tantrums.
CJ
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
I liked this, but didn't love it. While I thought Schafer's practical solutions sounded very workable for most problems and followed the logical consequences theory of parenting (which I love), her over-arcing theory was not one I agree with, i.e. I do not believe that the home should be a democracy in which the kids have a say in the rules.

So, all things considered? Worth the read if you want suggestions for solutions to specific problems, but not my favorite parenting book
Erin
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had some really good, actionable tips to dealing with childhood behaviors. It's also written in an interesting, conversational style and proved a quick read over lunches at work. Anyone with small children/school-aged kids would probably get something useful from reading this book. I know I've picked up a few tactics I'll try to employ moving forward.
Justin
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: family
Had some suggestions I really detested like ignoring whining kids and "training" children to sleep in their own beds. To me these suggestions are basically suggesting we treat children like pets. I'd rather raise my daughter to be capable of being a fulfilled happy adult than have her act the way I'd like her to out of fear.
Angela
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
A good option for parents looking for quick tips and strategies to use in the moment. I definitely preferred the author's Honey I Wrecked the Kids (despite the terrible title), which was much meatier in terms of the psychology behind her suggestions. This one was made for skimming.
Shanna
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best response is often determined by what a child is trying to accomplish versus what you as the parent are trying to accomplish. This is a really good look at WHY children do what they do, with a plethora of specific examples of what you will see, what it means, and what you should do.
Stacey
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love her democratic approach to parenting. teaching kids independence while also fostering excellent life skills and problem solving plus creating a kind, loving family dynamic. I learned a few things that I'll be using a lot from now on.
Sonya
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Цяла книга за нещо, което може да се синтезира в една статия. Решението на всеки въпрос, повдигнат в книгата, е едно и също. Полезна би била за хора, които не са запознати с демократични методи на възпитание.
Arieh Bibliowicz
A lot to learn

There is always much to lear and relearn about parenting. This book reminds you of things you may have learned and forgot, but also of what you haven't learned but muy work in your family. Loved it.
Adam Wolf
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first introduction to democratic parenting. I am not 100% sold in everything from here, but I devoured this book over a flight and was super excited to try out some of the tactics. Basically every time I try, it works out amazingly, so I'm definitely going to read her other ones.
Charisa Flaherty
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The advice in this book basically boils down to let go over the power struggle. It really made a lot of sense to me. I’ve been trying some if the tips. Some with success and some... well not so much.
Sheri
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
I need to read this in a couple of years when it is more age appropriate for my daughter.
Sue Buswell
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it!
Amanda Maddison
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book very helpful!
Suzy
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great parenting book. A nice follow up to reading Honey I Wrecked the Kids by the same author.
Gwen
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Seems useful- just skimmed parts that were interesting to me.
Sarah Perez
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is filled with lots of little tidbits of information that I found very encouraging and helpful.
Jodelene
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great parenting book with realistic suggestions for raising your children. I would consider purchasing this book for future reference.
Amanda
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as part of an assignment for a class on interpersonal communication. I chose this book because it looked like a easy read.

I don’t read parenting books or any other self help books on a regular basis, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The author gives simple solutions to common issues faced by parents. While not every solution is going to work for every child I think her method may be a good starting point to deal with everything from tantrums and power struggles to sibling
Emily
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good ideas on lists of issues and stages
Boyka
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Практически полезна книга със съвети за конкретни ситуации. Повечето ми пасват - "ако Х, то У", някой са ми дълъг пас "ако си бърка в носа, бъркайте си и вие". Като цяло полезно, да.
Kevin
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Some good ideas that are wholly reliant on having a ton of patience and a child willing to reason with you.
Doroti
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Най-после конкретни примери с конкретни примерни реакции.
Сега остава дс ги тествам.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Chat with the Author 1 4 Mar 25, 2011 12:33PM

• Отнесени от вихъра - Първа книга
  • Folk med ångest
  • Тайная опора: Привязанность в жизни ребенка
  • Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life
  • Find Your Path: Honor Your Body, Fuel Your Soul, and Get Strong with the Fit52 Life
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Истории от 90-те
  • 5 Ingredient Mediterranean Cookbook
  • The Easy 30-Minute Cookbook: 100 Fast and Healthy Recipes for Busy People
  • Zgubiona dusza
  • Приятелят на Дядо Коледа
  • When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?
  • Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
  • Чудото Монтесори или учение без мъчение и възпитание без оценки, награди и наказания
  • How Children Learn
  • A Fire Within (These Highland Hills, #3)
  • Унесенные ветром. Том 2