Start by marking “Dare to Be Square Quilting: A Block-by-Block Guide to Making Patchwork and Quilts” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
“Boo Davis is a rock star! Dare to Be Square Quilting is the perfect patchwork primer for beginners and a refreshing review for experienced quilters. A must-have book for any quilt or craft library.” --Denyse Schmidt (author of Denyse Schmidt Quilts)

. . . My approach to quilting is an approach for true beginners. I don’t like triangles, circles, hexagons, diamonds, rhomb
Published August 31st 2010 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Be Square Quilting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Be Square Quilting

Carissa
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, non-fiction, crafty
oh my. i'm returning this book to the library today with a heart full of longing. i WISH that i had time to make even one of the awesome projects in this book (robot quilt? the owl quilt from the cover? the fantastic "love it or leaf it" tree quilt? that awesome weiner dog baby quilt?! swoon.), but since I don't, this book has been sitting on my coffee table, taunting me with the loveliness inside and i can't take it anymore. very, very inspiring projects. note to self: when you're done with you ...more
Nicolle
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafty
Well, this is a classic don't-judge-a-book-by-its-cover moment. I have passed over this book time and again because I really can't stand the owl quilt pictured on the cover. I finally just bit it and borrowed the book from the library and was pleasantly surprised! The book is much more modern than its cover suggests, and the projects all seem to be very simple, as there are no bias or curved edges to deal with. The gem of this book in my opinion is the bright lights, patchwork city pillow on pag ...more
Leah
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-craft
Overall, incredible book for a beginner - encouraging and instructive. The best quilting book I own!

Simplistic and awesome designs, amazingly detailed directions (with pictures) and just a general tone that makes you comfortable with the fact that you're taking on a pretty big project and that you can finish it and it will be wonderful.
Angela
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fresh, fun, easy to understand! I really like this book! The patterns are fresh and fun, the information is laid out well, and even a newbie sewist could follow it and make a quilt if they wanted to. I am not a newbie, but I really enjoyed Boo Davis and the part of her story she shares in the book. It also has lots of great tips thrown throughout the book to help all of us with sewing/quilting.
Candy
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quilting
This is not your NORMAL quilt book!
What a good writer Boo is! She even makes the directions lively with her unique language. And the quilts are fun, as well as other little projects.
I admit I was reluctant to read a book by "Boo". I thought with that cutsie name she'd be a self indulgent foo-foo girl. Not even close!
Read this one.
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: craftycrafty, 2012
This book is unlike any other quilting book I've seen, which is an accomplishment in itself. The "scraphazard" style really isn't my thing (especially the part where you add a fabric that looks like a mistake: nope, those will be occurring organically all on their own :)) but if you dig the owl quilt on the cover it's probably worth at least checking out.
Kristel
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
These some really neat patterns in this book, and all of them simple enough even for new sewers. I like her 'scraphazard' approach to fabric choices, though I found some of them comments about using entire lines of fabric (rather than just random choices) a bit snotty.

In any case, it's got more patterns in it that I think I'll actually make than most books, so that's definitely a good thing.
Erika Mulvenna
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sewing, quilting
Great quilting book for beginners, and I can't believe how much I like some of these patterns, even though they are very simple! My kiddo wants me to make her the skull quilt, and she loves the owl and robot, too. I think I'm going to stitch up the scarf project - looks like a great gift idea.
Mandy
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is my new years resolution, to learn to quilt, and these are realistic ones I can do and I really like. Very good stuff. I love her simple fun patterns. I've already redesigned her robot one to suit a penguin for my son. This makes me excited to get going.
Emily
Nov 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft-quilting
There are some neat ideas and patterns in here. My favorite is probably the cover quilt of the owl. But the patterns seem overly complicated to me, so I'm not sure I'd ever make them. But I am really excited about some of the quilting tips and ideas in the book, and I am excited to use them.
Leslie Hickman
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hobbies
Only one or two patterns were worth it
Niki
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
For some reason I was hesitant to take this book out of the library. My mistake as it has some very cool projects in it. I might have to buy this one...
Rebecca
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sewing
I am actually purchasing this one... enough said for me.
Jocelyn
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pumped!
Seana
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quilts
My fav for beginner stuff, still referencing this one years later. Plus the design is punk awesomeness!
Kelly
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craftyresources
Fabulous ideas for baby quilts
Sherri
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: quilting
Nice book for beginners. No weird measurements in dealing with 1/8" as in so many other books. Either whole or half inch measurements. Nice photos. Beginners should take a look at this.
Rachel
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
quilts using only squares and rectangles. fun variations of traditional quilt patterns.
robot quilt
Tiffiny
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This has to be one of my new favorite books, of all time! It is so fun and has some great quits inside!!
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Some cute ideas in here.
Michelle Hoogterp
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Definitely worth buying alone for the quilting technique described. There are a few projects I'd like to try. I may buy this book.
Fawn Rueckert
Jan 02, 2011
Meg
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Block Party - The Modern Quilting Bee: The Journey of 12 Women, 1 Blog, & 12 Improvisational Projects
  • Material Obsession Two: Shared Inspiration
  • Quilts from the House of Tula Pink: 20 Fabric Projects to Make, Use and Love
  • Scrap Therapy Cut the Scraps!: 7 Steps to Quilting Your Way through Your Stash
  • Warm Fuzzies: 30 Sweet Felted Projects
  • Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, & Inspiration
  • I Love Patchwork
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots
  • The Modern Quilt Workshop: Patterns, Techniques, and Designs from the FunQuilts Studio
  • Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love