Start by marking “Angus and the Cat” as Want to Read:
Angus and the Cat

Angus and the Cat

(Angus)

Angus the terrier has to share his home with a new cat who eats Angus's food and sits in his favorite places. How will they ever get along?
Published September 30th 1997 by Square Fish (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about Angus and the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angus and the Cat

Kathryn
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sooo darling! I love the illustrations (1930s) and the sweet story about Angus the dog and his new housemate, the cat! At first, he is not so sure he likes the cat (especially when she sits around bathing herself in HIS favorite sun patch!) but when he can't find her one day, he realizes that perhaps she had made herself right at home in his heart. Great message here and could even be used in families with a "new baby" situation.

Lisa Vegan
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat and dog lovers and those who enjoy older picture books
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I read the inside covers first and was gratified to see that there was a real Angus, the family pet of the author-illustrator. I think knowing that made me appreciate this book more, and I’m interested in reading the other Angus books. I have to wonder whether I had any of these books read to me when I was young, but I don’t think so, even though they were around by the time I was born.

This is an extraordinarily cute story about how Angus grows up, learning useful things, but while curious about
Abigail
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Dog Lovers / Angus Fans
Angus the Scottish terrier - whose encounter with some territorial anatine rivals is chronicled in the hilarious Angus and the Ducks - returns in this second delightful adventure, just as enthusiastically curious as ever. The object of his interest this time around is the new resident of his home: a feline interloper who likes to sleep on Angus' couch, tries to steal Angus' food, and proceeds to sleep in Angus' patch of sunshine. The little dog's efforts to defend his territory inevitably resu ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
"But there was SOMETHING outdoors Angus was very curious about but had NEVER learned about, and that was CATS. The leash was TOO short."
Angus finds out all about cats when one shows up IN HIS HOUSE. Hey, she's in HIS own special square of sunshine, WASHING HER FACE, though not for long.
I love this classic! There's a reference librarian who works with me whose name is Angus, and SOMEONE keeps putting these Angus books on hold for him. But it's NOT ME. :D
Miriam
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
When I was little I had a Scotch terrier named Angus and a marmalade tom cat named Mickey Mouser [Shut up! I was four]. They were best friends. Angus would chase Mickey down the hall, and when they reached the far end, they would reverse and Mickey would chase Angus.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I grew up with the Angus books. I always liked them, especially the illustrations.
Eleanor
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay, maybe I snapped: but it's hot here, I've been under a LOT OF PRESSURE lately and postmodern/postcolonial/postpostmo literature just isn't doing it for me anymore. I feel like lying under my blankie and sucking my thumb. So when I saw Angus and the Cat sitting on a shelf at the library, I had to pick it up. I remember reading this book out loud to my classmate Scott when we were in kindergarten, and our teacher thought I was a freak. Good memories. The retro illustrations by Marjorie Flack ...more
Luisa Knight
I love Angus ... and I don't usually care for animal stories. But Angus is so fun and lovable; somehow he was able to surpass my semi-anti-animal-story-ness.

Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Becky
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Each day as Angus grew older he grew longer but not much higher. Scottie dogs grow that way. Now as Angus grew older and longer he learned MANY THINGS.

Premise/plot: After a few pages sharing what Angus has learned, readers learn that there was one thing Angus was very curious about but had never learned about: CATS. He will have plenty of opportunity to do so when his owner (whom we never see) adopts a cat. Will Angus and the new cat get along?! How much will life change for Angu
Eva Leger
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
2.5 -
I don't know what to say. I saw this at the library the other day and as soon as I saw the authors name on the cover I remembered poor little Ping. I hate that book with a passion. I almost didn't take this out but I found myself wanting to know if little old Angus would end up getting his ass kicked too.
He doesn't. Apparently Flack only hates little yellow ducks. Sooooo, I read this alone first because of Ping and I don't especially enjoy my child hearing stories about animals being beat
Dianna
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Angus is a curious little dog who is getting into trouble whenever his leash doesn't prevent him. My three-year-old son loved Angus and the Ducks, and this one is almost as good. Highly recommended!
Robert Davis
I very much enjoyed this second installment, as Angus, the ever curious little Scottish Terrier, finds a new friend has invaded his home. My favorite scene shows Angus staring out a window, and in the background is shown a panorama of the neighborhood, and the ducks from the previous book are shown.
Hilary
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dog and cat lovers and those who enjoy vintage children's books
Recommended to Hilary by: Abigail
A little black Scottish terrier called Angus is curious about cats but has never had the chance to satisfy his curiosity as they're so hard to get close to. One day Angus has his wish granted and finds one in his house. Oh dear, it looks like this one has come to stay. After a bit of swiping, chasing and hide and seek the cat goes off to get some peace and Angus discovers he actually misses his new friend.

This book has such beautiful illustrations, alternating between colour pages and black and
Shanti
Apr 24, 2018 added it
Shelves: sakunnook
Allie F
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, especially anyone with a child nearby
Shelves: children
The whole Angus series is a must-own. The illustrations are wonderfully memorable with the interchange from the black-and-white spreads to the bizarre, vibrantly glowing ones. Fabulous! Angus has so much personality. We call Scotties "Angus dogs" more often than not around here.
Tobi Grantham
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Mostly for the illustrations, which were beautiful. The way Angus and the cat were drawn was very emotive and realistic.
Sarah Middlestead
Another classic.
Miss Clark
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it

Angus finally gets a housemate: a kitty!
David
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Angus and the Cat by Marjorie Flack is the second of three books about the curious young Scottish Terrier, Angus, inclding the later Angus Lost, and the first Angus and the Ducks.

Angus's curiousity has helped him learn MANY THINGS. Because Angus is usually on a short leash, however, he has never learned about CATS. One day, the terrier finds a strange little CAT lying on the SOFA. When Angus gets too close, the cat goes SISS-S-S-S-S-S!!! and boxed Angus's ears! After Angus barks, the cat jumps
Sarah Sammis
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Scottish terriers always make me think of my teacher for fifth and sixth grade. Mrs. Sullivan had a scotty dog whom she doted on and bragged about. So when I saw Angus and the Cat by Marjorie Flack at the library to read to Harriet, I was also thinking about my teacher's dog.

Angus is a Scottish terrier who now has to share his home with a cat. He doesn't want to. The cat makes herself as unwelcome as Ralph the dog does to Alice the cat. The cat though has a few tricks for staying out of Angus's
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
We found this used at Eagle Harbor Books in Bainbridge and would now like to find more Marjorie Flack books. We liked the great 1930's illustrations and the gentle story of a dog getting to know and like the new cat who has suddenly appeared in his house. One thing that irritated me a bit was the apparently random use of all caps. In some cases, it makes sense for emphasis, but 2, 3, or sometimes even 4 uses of it in one sentence is just silly. For example, "Until one day WHAT should Angus find ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
Holy moly is Angus and the Cat a cute book. I really love it. It's almost a be-careful-what-you-wish-for story, but it's more of a you-don't-know-what-you-got story. The cat drives Angus crazy, but it also fascinates and entertains him, and when it's not around, he realizes life is boring. Plus, I love the colors in the edition I have. They are bright and bouncy.

(My used copy has written in it: Susannah.)
Heather
Another funny Angus story. This one was funny than Angus and the Ducks. My kids really liked it. Same style of illustrations as her other books, which I liked.

Sweet and silly. A nice story about friendship.

Won't search it out, but would check it out if I saw it again.

August 2011 - Read this with the younger two boys (7 and 5). They really enjoyed it and asked for me to read it again immediately after finishing.
Lea Beall
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: pet lovers, children
Shelves: dog-stories
This is truly a delightful story for those who love pets. Angus is always chasing the cat, but one day the cat disappears. How will Angus respond? I love the art work in this book. So expressive. THe little black dog is painted to catch the imagination. I can still almost see him moving across the page. I like this style of art where there is a limited color pallet.
Tyrone Hardy
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
Angus is a feisty little terrier who usually gets into trouble outside of his home, but in this adventure he is having trouble in his home. Angus is having to share his space with a cat of all things. He is not happy about this, but he eventually finds common ground with his new roommate. This book is good for pre-k students who may still have trouble sharing items in the classroom.
Micah
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked Angus and the Cat because they had a fun time chasing each other. The cat was trying to run away from Angus because the cat thought Agnus wanted to eat the cat. Angus just wanted to hang out with the cat. Silly cat. Silly Angus.

[reviewed by a 6 year old, typed by his mama]
Melle
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cat and dog lovers
A cute, old-timey picture book about Angus the Scottish terrier who is trying to learn about the new black-and-white cat (who looks exactly like my Zelda) in his house. Would make a fun read-aloud with the emphases in the text. Sweet, not a lot of substance.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Something came over me last night at the library, and I wanted to read a bunch of picture books in which cats & dogs are friends. So I did. I would have loved this when I was a child, because we had both when I was growing up. And because the color palette is bizarre, in a good way.
Adrienne
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I still own this book.
Heather
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
47 months - O is a big Angus fan. She thinks these simple stories are so funny. Love the old style illustrations too.

49 month - picked up a copy at the store

• The Christmas Day Kitten
  • Mop Top
  • The Happy Day
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Hero Cat