Start by marking “Angus Lost” as Want to Read:
Angus Lost

Angus Lost

(Angus)

Always curious, Angus runs away from his house to seek new adventures. Find them he does, but will Angus make it back home?
Published September 30th 1997 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Angus Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angus Lost

Mir
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
When I was five I had a little black Scotch terrier named Angus. He also got lost*. But he did not follow the milk man home.

*When I was 19 my father told me that he had in fact given my dog away because it was too much work to take care of. But for the intervening 14 years I believed that Angus got out because I left the front door open while sweeping the steps.
Abigail
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Dog Lovers / Angus Fans
In this third installment of his continuing adventures, Angus the Scottish terrier - whose story began in Angus and the Ducks , and continued in Angus and the Cat - finds his way onto the open road, and chasing another dog (a collie), is lead far from home. When night begins to fall, Angus discovers that he is lost, and must seek shelter in a cave, during the snowy dark. Fortunately, he encounters the familiar milkman the next morning, and manages to make his way home.

Like the previous tw
Sylvester
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
3* art
4* story
4* noises - (woof, grrruf, baaaa, honk, whoo-whoo, rattle-rattle-clink-clink)
Dianna
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
My three-year-old son absolutely loves these books. Angus reminds me a lot of Curious George. It's cute how he goes chasing after things he thinks he wants, and how the books are written from his perspective. My son really enjoyed Angus Lost, but Angus and the Ducks is still his favorite (and mine).
Robert Davis
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Angus, the indomitable and ever curious little Scottish Terrier returns in his third book, this time seeking adventure outside the safe confines of his home. He escapes through the yard gate and goes out into the world at large. He meets some old and new friends, escapes danger in the streets, and manages to find his way back home in the end. A delightful story. My favorite part is at the end, when Angus returns home, the Ducks from the first book are shown in their yard next door to Angus' home ...more
Cathy aka The Attached Mama
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book aloud to my children. They always insist that I make exaggerated dog barks, goat "baas", owl whoots, and car honks which makes reading it aloud really fun. I like the message this book teaches as well. Angus grows disconnected with all of the same stuff he is surrounded by all winter. So he leaves home for some adventure. Angus soon learns that all of the "same" stuff is really not so bad.
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little dog is tired of the same things so he satisfies his curiosity by getting out and running away to see other things and places. Soon he is eager to find his way home again. Cute story; great illustrations.
Charity Yost Reed
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A little dog learns to appreciate home by getting lost for a day. Simple story by the same author as The Story of Ping.
Zoey the Squirrel
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
my mommy used to read this to me and I like it because he meets a lot of friends on his walk and then he finds his home. I read this by myself.
Natasha
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ambleside
The illustrations were just so-so and I didn't like how the sentences continue on the next page.
Danette
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
8/22/19 Read with Julia
Sem
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This is tremendously exciting and full of incident.
Jen
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The look on the cat's face on the final page is classic!
Miss Clark
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations, even when just the black & white sketches.
David
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Angus Lost by Marjorie Flack is the third book featuring the curious, feisty Scottie named Angus, which was preceded by Angus and Ducks and Angus and the Cat.

Bored with Winter, ever curious Angus wonders about "MANY THINGS, including where the MILK MAN came from, where the WIDE ROAD went to, and what kind of animals CARS are." Slipping throught the gate one Winter day, Angus emerges on the WIDE ROAD where he could see no end. Finding and running with a friendly collie, Angus suddenly encounters a goa
Luisa Knight
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one's for the littles that want to read a book but you're not sure about their attention span. It's cute, classic and appealing!

Ages: 3 - 5

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
David Ward
Feb 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Angus Lost by Marjorie Flack (Farrar, Strauss & Giroux 1932) (Fiction – Children's). Angus is, appropriately enough, a Scottie, and his curiosity leads him into adventures that will be unsettling to the youngest readers. When he accidentally becomes lost and it is getting dark, the illustrations blend perfectly with the narrative to create a real sense of longing. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1963.
Micah
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Angus was in the house, he wanted to go and find a new house because he didn't want to see all the old stuff in the house. Then he went out the gate. He found another dog. They wanted to run in a circle but the other dog was faster than Angus. Then he found a goat but the goat was held by a chain so he couldn't run. Angus found a milk man.

[reviewed by a 6 year old, typed by his mama]
Kristine Hansen
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Angus gets a chance to explore the big wide world - which is a little too big and wide when it comes time to find his way home again. My heart ached for him - the way the words are presented for emphasis, the illustrations...all so perfect.

This series really is perfect all the way around. Do pick them up with your children - and be sure to read them in order!
Heather
Angus books are cute and funny, especially if you're a young child. Both the 7-yr-old and 5-yr-old loved it (and the 11-yr-old was casually hanging on the back of the couch while I read, trying not to look interested but his eyes were glued to the book).

I think Angus and the Cat and Angus and the Ducks are funnier, but if your library has this, it's well worth reading once or twice.
Kari
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1929-to-1939-ad
Why not 5 stars? These books are all cute. I don't remember why I picked this one to look up specifically, but I know they were a new thing in my consciousness since I've been older, not something I knew when I was little. Anyway, the youngest sibling liked this one and anyone should.
Professor
Brianna Preston
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Angus, the little Scottie dog, is off on another adventure. He's tired of the same old things and desires to explore and see all the things he's been curious about. It's a fun journey, but when he realizes he has gotten lost, he determines to find a way home--to the best place after all.
Alice
Sep 28, 2010 rated it liked it
When it was amazing, I liked it. I think he went through a tunnel and he was back home. When he was home he still saw his cat, milk man's cat.
Kelly
Angus is much-loved at our house.

If you can read it aloud to your favorite child, in a Scottish accent, well... all the better.
Jamie
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A favorite from my childhood. Has a milk man and everything, very cute.
Jen
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
Going out for an adventure is fun, but home is always best!
Etta Mcquade
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How my children loved this book when they were little.
Lauren
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
this was a surprising favorite for both me and lib

Joy
Aug 28, 2013 marked it as to-read
Not on 1000 Good Books site but would be on their level 1-3 like the other Angus book they have listed. Love all the Angus books!

• Play with Me
  • The Big Green Pocketbook
  • If Jesus Came to My House
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
  • Pelle's New Suit
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Journey Cake, Ho!
  • A Pair of Red Clogs
  • Blaze Shows the Way
  • Norman the Doorman
  • The Happy Day
  • Papa Piccolo
  • The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales, Being One for Each Hour of the Day
  • The Little Rabbit