Start by marking “Ghosts I Have Met” as Want to Read:
Ghosts I Have Met

Ghosts I Have Met

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The Shelf2Life Literature and Fiction Collection is a unique set of short stories, poems and novels from the late 19th to early 20th centuries. From tales of love, life and heartbreaking loss to humorous stories of ghost encounters, these volumes captivate the imaginations of readers young and old. Included in this collection are a variety of dramatic and spirited poems th ...more
Published March 11th 2010 by BCR (Bibliographical Center for Research) (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts I Have Met, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts I Have Met

Cataline
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
“Coleridge, I think it was, was once asked by a lady if he believed in ghosts, and he replied, ‘No, madame; I have seen too many of them.’ Which is my case exactly.”

Unless you are out searching for older macabre writers you might not have run across this gem of a classic. Bangs, tries and succeeds excellently to portray visitations by ghosts that come to him, are drawn to him for different reasons throughout his narration. It would seem to the reader that he is being haunted for the impeccable a
Lisa
Sep 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts
I was looking for short stories at my uni library, because I'm really busy and don't have alot of time to commit to a novel! I randomly happened upon this one, was intrigued, read the first paragraph, and died. This anthology is about ghosts, but when I read it I find alot of strength from it-- for me, it's really about not letting life's challenges defeat you. The first story is about how the author has met many ghosts and how they have physically affected him (i.e, the hair stands up on the ba ...more
Silviana
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very odd to me but I did enjoyed it. I found it on sale very cheap. What stresses me out the most about all of the events in this book is that I know it's a made up story but I kind of believe it actually happen because the author was that good! Good book for Halloween!
Frances
A bit overarch sometimes, and a bit stiff, but largely lightly funny and occasionally pleasantly creepy. I think I might look this one up in paperbook; it feels like the kind of book which would particularly suffer from being e-read.
Adam Drew
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourites. A witty send-up of the gothic horror anthology, written while gothic horror was still a new idea.
Julia
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fun little collection of turn-of-the-century ghost stories, told with a lot of humor. Several laugh-out-loud moments for those who like their jokes smart and tucked firmly in cheek.
Rob
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre, classic, comedy
Highly amusing collection of rambling tall tales that make fun of serialized ghost stories - though it ends with a solid chiller of its own!
Zombaby Cera
Don't let the title fool you - it was quite a funny and satirical piece. Fun to read!
Mary
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories
Very droll, indeed. This kind of tongue-in-cheekery is really quite splendid, because it ends up, often, with surprisingly insightful views of the writing world itself.
Michelle Horgan
Nanci Svensson
Feb 02, 2014
Hasso von Moltke
Jun 07, 2016
John Kendrick Bangs was an American author and satirist, and the creator of modern Bangsian fantasy, the school of fantasy writing that sets the plot wholly or partially in the afterlife.
More about John Kendrick Bangs...
“Curious," it said. "What you call your decent self doesn't dare look me in the eye! What a mistake people make who say that the man who won't look you in the eye is not to be trusted! As if mere brazenness were a sign of honesty; really, the theory of decency is the most amusing thing in the world.” 6 likes