Start by marking “Trip to Tagaytay” as Want to Read:
Trip to Tagaytay

Trip to Tagaytay

Trip to Tagaytay is a 44-page short story in comics form, set in a future Philippines replete with flying cars and multimedia wrist-devices. In this vision of the future, popular actor Aga Muhlach is the aging President, the Eraserheads are on a Reunion Tour that spans the stars, and Philippine Spacelines is offering a 50% discount on Moon Travel. We follow the musings of ...more
Graphic Novel
Published 2000 by Tala Studios and Quest Ventures

To ask other readers questions about Trip to Tagaytay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trip to Tagaytay

Start your review of Trip to Tagaytay
K.D. Absolutely
This did not affect me as much as it did to my friends here on Goodreads. First, it felt dated. Originally released in 2000, Arre tried doing an Aldous Huxley in his opus, Brave New World or George Orwell in 1949 writing what he thought the world would be in 1984. Minus of course, the beautiful prose that these novels are known for. This work of Arnold Arre is of course a comic book. This could have liked it (3 stars most probably) if the illustrations are as good as let's say those of Mervin ...more
Maria Ella
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Travelers
Recommended to Maria Ella by: DC
Tonight I read this again because I'll be embarking on a journey. A pilgrimage for many of us.

And yet, after embarking on the journey of black-and-white pages of scifi, we all believe that there are still things that simply transcends time:

PAG-IBIG. <3

FIRST REVIEW - 2014 Komikon read
Kinurot ang puso ko sa huling panel nito. Gusto kong umiyak pero andaming tao lang nang binabasa ko ito sa Jollibee, habang umoorder ang mga kasama.

It really deserved the National Book Award because it reflected
Jedi JC Daquis
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Trip to Tagaytay, in its black and white details of futuristic-dystopian Manila and in its simple narrative is full of resplendent nostalgia. You know that there is a part of you in this graphic novella - perhaps a bittersweet memory or a lifetime of wishful thinking.

I first read this Arnold Arre creation more than a decade ago, and I did not even bother to appreciate it. Maybe I was young and too innocent. Maybe I wasn't hurt before. But reading this in 2014 gave me so much feels of my past!
Kevin Cortes
It was great to hold a copy of this, due to Nautilus Comics reprinting this work of Arnold Arre.

Arnold Arre takes us to a futuristic Metro Manila, through the eyes of a young boy telling his loved one the changes that happened to our nation. The visuals are a feast to the eyes as Arre uses well known brands and scatter them around the metropolis.

Who knew which things here will Arre get it right regarding our future.

More of my review at:
kb
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this was brilliant! Published in Y2K, this predicted parts of our present & near future. Aga the Actor may not be President, nor is there commercial space travel yet but story reflects today's relentless chaos & the absurd need for 'more.' This should be a required reading in school somehow! Here is a thread of some of my favorite parts.
Anjo
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This took me on a feels trip!
Nikka Calindas
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Poignant story with excellent illustrations. What more can an avid reader asked for? I can truly relate to the Kid's emotions and thoughts from history to his ideas on how to handle his future.

It is a trip truly worth taking.
Julia
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20015-read-books
I'm glad I found this! This had been published 15 years ago! Funny thing is few of the ideas in this book is happening now.
Joy
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
"Dream. That's all you need to do."
Bryan Montallana
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Visually mesmerizing, this sci-fi comic book will tour you to the world Arnold Arre made from his incredible mind. It's a trip you'll never forget. The feeling of longing still lingers after reading it.
Tays
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-best-so-far
Well in terms of local graphic novels, Trip to Tagaytay is probably one of the finest I have ever read. After reading the whole of it in our school library, I immediately regretted the decision of passing up on it when I went to Komikon, it literally was in my hand then and had to put it down to get the titles I was mostly anticipated with.

Thing is I did not have the faintest idea on what this title was about. If I did, I would have had it in my priorities of local comic books. Set in a distant
Lynne
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a ride.

Aga Mulach as president? Eraserheads reunion concert on the Moon?A watch that contains your vitals, and at the same time serves as your pass to the new world?
Jeepneys simply displayed for nostalgia purposes at the National Museum? I especially loved the part of PLDT's holographic ad.

This book was definitely ahead of its time, and it deserves the award it holds. I can't even imagine the time where people weren't so dependent on technology - no emails, wi-fi, Facebook, no gadgets of
Matthew
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"To dream, that's all I need to do."

This gave me the feels. Futuristic cynical feels. The first comic I read from Arre was Martial Law Babies and I know that was generations behind me, but it really spoke to me. I love the way Arre illustrates his characters' stories through beautiful prose and engaging sketches. I have The Mythology Class and I haven't started it yet (too busy with school) so I'm really excited to be more blown away.
Jireh
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Batang 90s will feel the depth of this book. Futuristic deterioration. Still promotes nationalism, though.
Cydney
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
It is very rare to find dystopian fiction in this country and the fact that this is a graphic novel made it more appealing to me. The story somehow feels incomplete though.
Zim
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Futuristic.
Kay Gemzon
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not unforgettable and I doubt if we'll revert back to our cultural roots that much as we progress, but the art deserves a second, third, even fourth look-through, and the story very imaginative.
Lestat Cayetano
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Laya
  • Stars in Jars: Strange and Fantastic Stories
  • Shadow Witness (Trese, #7)
  • Mid-September Letters
  • Ang Kagila-gilalas na Pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsazsa Zaturnnah
  • feast of flowers
  • bare roots
  • چهل نامه‌ی کوتاه به همسرم
  • Lost in Translation: An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words from Around the World
  • Her
  • Things I Learned in the Night
  • If You Want to See a Whale
  • Eric
Arnold Arre (born September 2, 1971 in Metro Manila, Philippines) is a Filipino comic book writer, artist and self-taught animator best known for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999) and Ang Mundo ni Andong Agimat (2006).

Arnold Arre has won National Book Awards from the Manila Critics Circle for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999), a four-part action-adventure miniseries and
“Dream! That's all you need to do.” 0 likes